Hawkeye or Cyclone State??

longtimer

Clearly Iowa State has had the better of it in Basketball for some time. Better record, Championships, Runs in the tournament, Better crowds and support and better National recognition. Sure we have been better than Clones on occasion like last year but overall I dont think there can be a lot of dispute.
Football is another thing and clearly Iowa has had the better of it for probably all time. Sure Iowa was down after Evy and even had 20 years of non winning seasons that I remember well, but Iowa State was a non factor for much of that time. Since the arrival of Fry and the years under Ferentz Iowa has had far more success and much more recognition on a national basis than the Clones. Of course like Iowa in basketball there have been years Iowa State was better in football but overall not really close
So it brings us to today. Iowa State has been down in basketball but I think will recover and again be the better State team. their reputation and support will be the difference
Football down the road is the big question. Iowa's big struggle in recruiting for 2022 may be attributed to the racial issues which are not going away with this law suit pending as well as the age of Ferentz. If we need to make a change and Campbell stays at Iowa State Iowa's long time superiority in football is in jeopardy. Campbell has not only brought Clone football back in the State but has made Iowa State a topic Nationally which has really never been the case.
Still questions: Does Campbell stay? Does Ferentz retire? Who is the next coach at Iowa? Will Barta retire? Does the Big 12 lose Oklahoma Texas or other teams to SEC or Pac 12?
Who the heck are we going to have at RB next year??

relax

Despite putting a shitload of dudes in the NBA there's one sweet 16 appearance in 10+ years. That doesn't really scare me. We have no idea if Oltzberger can coach. It's kinda cool that they have a little fun at the end of March in Kansas City, but how relevant is that really?

As far as football is concerned let it play out before you hit the panic button. "The greatest Cyclone team ever" could very well end up 7-5 this year. The margin of error is that small. Yes, it is weird that ISU is getting all this love for football, but just wait a little bit before you freak out.

relax

Despite putting a shitload of dudes in the NBA there's one sweet 16 appearance in 10+ years. That doesn't really scare me. We have no idea if Oltzberger can coach. It's kinda cool that they have a little fun at the end of March in Kansas City, but how relevant is that really?

As far as football is concerned let it play out before you hit the panic button. "The greatest Cyclone team ever" could very well end up 7-5 this year. The margin of error is that small. Yes, it is weird that ISU is getting all this love for football, but just wait a little bit before you freak out.
Yep, everything seemed to fall their way. Not a lot returning at QB in the Big 12, etc. They continue to tout it as the best season in ISU history. Meanwhile, in Iowa City, we struggled through the season and came around to have a "meh" season. The funny thing is that the 2 teams ended up with identical winning percentages. Tells you all you need to know about the state of the programs.

I have no idea what the Big 12 has this year, but I can't believe it will be worse than last year. The only thing I do know is that no one will play defense...again.

Dumb question.
Gee wiz I thought this was an open discussion area? Of course you had somewhat the same reaction to my post of Recruiting stuck in neutral. Suggesting we had like 19 recruits and I didn't follow the recruiting process including the information on this site. I did notice that you must have taken your left field posts off that thread when you realized We are now recruiting for the 2022 year. Hey everyone makes mistakes

Gee wiz I thought this was an open discussion area? Of course you had somewhat the same reaction to my post of Recruiting stuck in neutral. Suggesting we had like 19 recruits and I didn't follow the recruiting process including the information on this site. I did notice that you must have taken your left field posts off that thread when you realized We are now recruiting for the 2022 year. Hey everyone makes mistakes

Open discussion area yes. At this point, there basketball team is in shambles and their dream football season, as mentioned by another poster, would have been meh if we put up that record. Open discussion yes, but if it'd be considered a troll worthy topic if you weren't serious. Could be considered a troll attempt by others even though you were serious.

Open discussion area yes. At this point, there basketball team is in shambles and their dream football season, as mentioned by another poster, would have been meh if we put up that record. Open discussion yes, but if it'd be considered a troll worthy topic if you weren't serious. Could be considered a troll attempt by others even though you were serious.
Troll worthy if ISU was coming off a 6 and six season and excited they might win 7 as the greatest season. We aren't used to this. Gotta go back to the 70s.

The troll was Fry. Being the mod is like Otis having the keys to the jail.

Troll worthy if ISU was coming off a 6 and six season and excited they might win 7 as the greatest season. We aren't used to this. Gotta go back to the 70s.

The troll was Fry. Being the mod is like Otis having the keys to the jail.

While 9-3 is a great season and definitely something to be proud of at this point its an abnormality that has shown no sign yet of sustainability and is unprecedented. They're 22-45 all time vs. Iowa and have lost 5 straight. Their basketball team is coming off a 0-18 conference record and went 5-13 in conference play the year before and has lost 3 straight to Iowa.

Maybe troll was kind of harsh, but based on recent history, I think it's fair to say that Iowa is still the Hawkeye State. Can things change? Yes, but at this moment I'm not convinced that there's any level of competitive dominance that ISU can claim nationally or with regards to the rivalry that makes me think differently at this point.

I think both programs can have success. Basketball definitely because I just don't see either school as a threat to keep your Harrison Barnes/Marcus Paige type guys at home any time soon. And, in basketball, the rosters are so small - you're only grabbing an in state kid here or there as the mutual fit arises.

Football I think we can coexist but is maybe slightly more concerning if ISU continues their solid run. Iowa signs a lot of in state kids and has had a lot of success with them. It feels like, save for a handful of notable exceptions, over the KF era if there's been an in state kid we really want, we've gotten him. If that were to change and it becomes more of a 50/50 thing...well, gotta adapt I guess.

Fry always love talking and discussing Iowa anything, buy not Iowa State anything. Good to be back amongst the crowd. A little hiatus is always good for the soul. Go Hawks!!

Latest posts