Hawkeye Mt. Rushmore

Some great players to be sure. Would be hard to justify not voting for 4 of the 5 Hawkeyes who finished 1st or 2nd in the Heisman voting. Oh wait, Brad Banks isn't even on the list :/

Yes this list does seem a little incomplete. I would add Ken Ploen, Aubrey Devine, Duke Slater, Gordon Locke, Chad Greenway, and probably a few others to the list of nominees. Or have the whole thing be write in.

Whars' Plez Atkins and Eddie Phillips, Espensa Espensa?

1. Rank the names below.
Jared DeVries (1995-98)
Randy Duncan (1956-58)
Tim Dwight (1994-97)
Robert Gallery (2000-03)
Dave Haight (1985-88)
Cal Jones (1953-55)
Alex Karras (1956-57)
Nile Kinnick (1937-39)
Chuck Long (1982-86)
Larry Station (1982-85)

I thought this was being done by position. When comparing across every position on the field it makes it difficult. One could easily add Reggie Roby and Nate Kaeding since they did their specific job better to such a high level. Do specific positions get an advantage because they are more noticeable?

Any Mount Rushmore voting things that don't include Ronnie Harmon and Bob Sanders really aren't valid.

You can make a strong case that Harmon is the best in the history of the program at 2 different positions, RB & WR. I know, I know, the Rose Bowl fumbles. But it doesn't change the fact that 31 was off the charts good. 2,045 receiving yards; 2,271 rush yards; & 32 TD.

Sanders brought an attitude, style, & intensity that Iowa still tries to imitate to this day. The entire unit looked completely different when he started playing in late 2000.

Here is the Criteria.

On Monday, Dec. 1, BTN will unveil a list of 10 candidates per school based on the following criteria:

1. 1. Football only.
  2. 2. Former student-athletes only – coaches and current student-athletes are not being considered.
  3. 3. On-the-field accomplishments while in college only – professional career will not be a factor. Accomplishments that were reviewed include, but are not limited to, career statistics; awards won; and team success.
  4. 4. Particular student-athletes were intentionally removed from consideration due to off-the-field transgressions and/or criminal activity.
- See more at: http://btn.com/the-mt-rushmores-of-big-ten-football/#sthash.ta29iSKf.dpuf

A few that could easily be in there:

Andre Tippet (College and pro football hall of famer)
Bob Sanders
Duke Slater

By comparison here is the Iowa wall of honor with 9 players. Ir includes 3 that I mentioned above. And should be finalists too. http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082013aac.html Aubrey Devine (1), Randy Duncan (25), Calvin Jones (62), Alex Karras (77), Nile Kinnick (24), Gordon Locke (1), Chuck Long (16), Duke Slater (15), and Larry Station (36)

These are the names you can choose from and you can vote through the link in the op:

1. Rank the names below.
Jared DeVries (1995-98)
Randy Duncan (1956-58)
Tim Dwight (1994-97)
Robert Gallery (2000-03)
Dave Haight (1985-88)
Cal Jones (1953-55)
Alex Karras (1956-57)
Nile Kinnick (1937-39)
Chuck Long (1982-86)
Larry Station (1982-85)

Watching Tim Dwight growing up is what turned me in to a Hawk fan. Man he could turn on the jets when he wanted to. Dwight is definitely my alltime favorite Hawk.

Latest posts