Hawkeye History Podcast: Acie Earl

Acie and Chris Street on the front line together were the perfect ying and yang. Combined they were a two headed monster. When Chris met mortality they were averaging around 34 points and 20 rebounds per game between the two of them.

Acie and Chris Street on the front line together were the perfect ying and yang. Combined they were a two headed monster. When Chris met mortality they were averaging around 34 points and 20 rebounds per game between the two of them.

Yep with Russ Millard on the way, too. Talk about a formidable front court if they'd have had all of those guys.

I still wonder how far that team could have gone with Street. They were a 4 seed without him.. With him? I'd have guessed maybe a 2-3 and a shot at making a deep tournament run.

Yep with Russ Millard on the way, too. Talk about a formidable front court if they'd have had all of those guys.

I still wonder how far that team could have gone with Street. They were a 4 seed without him.. With him? I'd have guessed maybe a 2-3 and a shot at making a deep tournament run.
Street definitely would have neutralized Rodney Rodgers. But to your point we wouldn't have drawn a Wake Forest in the second round to begin with. We wouldn't have seen a team like that until at least the next round.

We had a core of players that had been together for three years and 1993 would have been the culmination of that run. We had a veteran team. The interior defense was among the best in the nation. We weren't drawing Duke in the second round that year. With Street we were Elite Eight/Final Four material and that was with Michigan's Fab Five, a loaded and experienced Indiana team, and the ultra athletic Ohio State Buckeyes residing in our conference.

One thing I'm pretty confident in is that Rodney Rodgers wouldn't have dropped 33 points on Street like he did in that 2nd round game against Iowa. Iowa had no answer for that guy without Street.

But obviously with Street Iowa is probably a 3 and not drawing as tough of a 2nd round opponent.

Its pretty amazing when you think about that Wake Forest team. They had Randolph Childress & Rodney Rodgers and were a 5 seed. They got demolished by Kentucky that year in the regional semifinals. Nowadays having a inside/outside combo like that would be unstoppable in college basketball.