Hawkeye Golf

I want to call your attention to the current Hawkeye Men's Golf Team -- really the Men's Golf program lead by Head Coach Mark Hankins. I know it is "only Golf," but it is perhaps the most up and coming program of all sports at Iowa. And couldn't we all use a little good news about now?

Making the NCAAs last year should have served to make folks take notice. This weekend the Hawks participated in the Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship outside of Phoenix (for results go to http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/match/bracket1614.html). The Hawks got 5th out of 16 teams but along the way accomplished the following:
  • Beat Arizona St., ranked #9 in the current Golfweek/NIKE NCAA rankings.
  • Beat Stanford, ranked #2 in the current Golfweek/NIKE NCAA rankings.
  • Beat UNLV, ranked #24 in the current Golfweek/NIKE NCAA rankings.
  • Lost to Colorado St, unranked (but received votes), who happens to be coached by Iowa native Jamie Bermel.
  • They finished with a 3-1 record that put them in a 4-way tie for the 3rd best record.
  • They were in a 3-way tie for the second best individual match record -- 11-8-1 -- beaten only by USC who got 2nd as a team. (The event was won by New Mexico -- they just keep showing up don't they?)
I will keep saying it -- the next NCAA Men's Championship won at Iowa that is not in Wrestling will be in Golf. If that does not happen this Spring, I hope the Football team proves me wrong this Fall.

That is impressive. I played golf at UNI and we would smack Iowa around but that has certainly changed, they are a good program now.

Hankins was a great hire, TA was not a good coach

Latest posts