Hawkeye could lead team onto field

+1, but not for a game like Tennessee Tech. Do this for a 'good' game like Pitt, for example. Incorporate the dog with one of his buddies doing a little pregame talk about the owner prior to the game. great experience for the team.

This is a fantastic idea, but why does it have to only be one game? Assuming the family does not object, why not have Hawkeye lead the team onto the field before each home game this season? It could be a bit like Auburn's "War Eagle."

Last edited:
As an idea, I know that most rivalry trophies have a portion where the name of the winner is inscribed on the trophy. For this trophy, under the portion of the trophy indicating which team won the game (Iowa v. Nebraska), why not add another level where the names of service men and women, police officers, firemen and all others who are lost in the line of duty have their names added to the trophy. Iowans in Black, Nebraskans in Red.

Just a thought.

I've avoided reading about this dog, because I knew what would happen if I did.
Because of that, I had no idea of the Iowa connection.
I can't believe there's too many kids from Iowa who name their dog after Natty Bumppo or a character on M*A*S*H*, as well loved as they might be.

If it means something to the family, absolutely this should happen.

If it just means something for fans, I'm a bit ambivalent.

If it were my son and he named his dog after a beloved team, and the team gave them this opportunity to be saluted by a throng of both fans and a team who "gets it", I can't think of a gesture too much more meaningful. But that's me. It'd have to be up to them.

I'm just not sure I could watch it though. I'm a tough guy, but I have my limits.

I've avoided reading about this dog, because I knew what would happen if I did.
Because of that, I had no idea of the Iowa connection.
I can't believe there's too many kids from Iowa who name their dog after Natty Bumppo or a character on M*A*S*H*, as well loved as they might be.

If it means something to the family, absolutely this should happen.

If it just means something for fans, I'm a bit ambivalent.

If it were my son and he named his dog after a beloved team, and the team gave them this opportunity to be saluted by a throng of both fans and a team who "gets it", I can't think of a gesture too much more meaningful. But that's me. It'd have to be up to them.

I'm just not sure I could watch it though. I'm a tough guy, but I have my limits.

Not that it makes any difference but I do not think he named his dog after the Hawkeyes. Based on the pictures I have seen he is wearing Longhorn Tshirts so perhaps he did name his dog after the character from MASH. Can anyone verify this?

We've seen what can happen because of social networking in Egypt.
More importantly, we've seen what can happen with Iowa sports related stuff with Facebook and Twitter.

We can fix bad trophy ideas.
We can also honor heroes. Again, if we keep it respectful with class, dignity, and the family in mind.

Hit yer Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Not that it makes any difference but I do not think he named his dog after the Hawkeyes. Based on the pictures I have seen he is wearing Longhorn Tshirts so perhaps he did name his dog after the character from MASH. Can anyone verify this?

Certainly possible.
Unlikely.
Maybe he just liked the name. Or his buddy was a huge Hawk fan at one time and the dog looked like his buddy. Only the family will know. One article I read suggested he was a Hawk fan.

As long as we maintain class and dignity, we can't go wrong with the request.

And it doesn't take away from the fact that he's still a hero and should be honored. All up to the family.

Maybe he enjoyed James Fenimore Cooper's book Last of The Mohicans?

Certainly possible.
Unlikely.
Maybe he just liked the name. Or his buddy was a huge Hawk fan at one time and the dog looked like his buddy. Only the family will know. One article I read suggested he was a Hawk fan.

As long as we maintain class and dignity, we can't go wrong with the request.

And it doesn't take away from the fact that he's still a hero and should be honored. All up to the family.

I agree, regardless if he was a Hawk fan or not he was still an Iowan.

How about before the NW game? I would be in favor of letting Hawkeye run across the field and use Fitzgerald as a fire hydrant.