Hawk defense when Purdue had the wind. My take and your take

uihawk82

I was in the stands and this game came down to which team did what going from north to south. As Eddie P said it on soundoff 'the wind and cold were brutal'. The hawks score 20 unanswered basically in the first qtr (they finished their 3rd drive which started in the 1st qtr early in the 2nd qtr) but then Purdue had the wind for 30 minutes, 2nd and 3rd, qtr. And yeah Purdue isnt great but their Off Line towered over the hawks Dee line, they have good receivers, and decent running backs. I was just hoping the hawks could hold them down.

And the defense did, holding them to only 13 points in those 30 minutes, which I think was a pretty good job. This is the same Purdue team that almost beat sparty at sparty's place. No one liked their last drive for a TD especially with the throwback long bomb to the TE for another leaky TD.

And remember Purdue was in 4 Down mode much of the last three qtrs of the game and did the fake punt pulling out all the stops. I would say it is hard to hold a team to that low of a score when they had the wind for that time.

The hawks scored 5 TDs with the wind and then had that one beautiful 91 yard drive into the wind.

So I am not calling the defense out like I have some fans. What is your take on the defense.

has a Kirk Ferentz coached team ever stopped a fake punt?!?!?

Haha, maybe not, and I wish the hawks would have had their normal punt rush on because they would have blew that fake up. But the punt defense seemed to be holding back and reading the play instead of attacking.

That fake punt was actually a nice play. I think we were looking for a fake, and they got us to overreact which made the reverse work beautifully for them.

Haha, maybe not, and I wish the hawks would have had their normal punt rush on because they would have blew that fake up. But the punt defense seemed to be holding back and reading the play instead of attacking.

I think the whole D is holding back. The D line play is the most glaring problem.

That fake punt was actually a nice play. I think we were looking for a fake, and they got us to overreact which made the reverse work beautifully for them.

I think you are right that the hawks were reading that play and it was executed and blocked well. I think if the hawks rushed toward the punter a little more aggressively they beat all those blocks and blow that fake up.

My only concern is we don't have a pass rush, which gives them time to find someone open.Were last in the conference for QB sacks,it would be nice if we had a blitz package that worked.

Latest posts