Hawaii Bowl

HawkeyeGunner

I hate to say this as I was once stationed out at Pearl Harbor, but even with the tickets the Navy and Marines are given, I dont think that the Hawaii Bowl will survive after this year. From what ESPN is showing , it will be lucky if there are 15,000 people in the stands. Isnt that about the amount each bowl has to have each year to be certified for the next year? Wish Iowa would play Hawaii again, but that is another thread.

o hai tiger fan!
beer-cheers-toasting.jpg

Welcome tigahas. Pull up a chair, we'll be back after Christmas. If you have any links to Tiger football coverage / podcasts / etc, please share.

NCH.

I hate to say this as I was once stationed out at Pearl Harbor, but even with the tickets the Navy and Marines are given, I dont think that the Hawaii Bowl will survive after this year. From what ESPN is showing , it will be lucky if there are 15,000 people in the stands. Isnt that about the amount each bowl has to have each year to be certified for the next year? Wish Iowa would play Hawaii again, but that is another thread.

Its not just this one.

BCS Teams Struggling To Sell Bowl Tickets | ThePostGame

Did not realize the Big 10 shelled out that many $$ in unused bowl tickets.

It is a very tough sell to get people to go these games. HDTV and soon Ultra HD will make it harder and harder to sell tickets.
Why shell out $$ to go to a game, when you can watch it at home and spend those $$ on trip to see other things you don't have access to on television.

The Rose Bowl at least still tries to keep the traditional Big 10 vs Pac 12 matchup. The Orange Bowl always took a Big 12 team. Sugar Bowl was always SEC.
But now its a joke, throw in all this re-alignment and things are more screwed up than ever.

A trip to Aloha land aint cheap and on top of that you have a 6 and 6 team who hadn't won a game in 2 months matched against a team with out their coach. Along with the lack of butts in the seats, I doubt there are many people glued to this match up on the HD vision.

This years bowl line up is sub par at best, numerous rematches from previous years, bah humbug.

Tigers get rolled on Jan 1, go Hawks!

Not too long ago, there were 2 bowl games in Honolulu. They used to have a Big 12-Pac 12 match-up years ago.
A trip to Honolulu with hotel and tickets is easily over $1,000, and people just don't want to spend that kind of coin for a mid-tier bowl game.
The military shows up for the Pro Bowl, but very few show up for the Hawaii Bowl.

Latest posts