Have you ever seen Fran's team use a back screen?

uihawk82

Wisky was overplaying on defense not that much on the perimeter but around the lane, clogging it up but some good ball movement with some back screens should have got the hawks some easy baskets.

And that brings me to my question in the thread title. The back screen, an element of play that is pretty useful but I cant remember Fran using it much if at all. I am getting a little perturbed that Fran and his coaches didnt make some adjustments throughout the game and have the players ready to run some different plays.

Wisky was overplaying on defense not that much on the perimeter but around the lane, clogging it up but some good ball movement with some back screens should have got the hawks some easy baskets.

And that brings me to my question in the thread title. The back screen, an element of play that is pretty useful but I cant remember Fran using it much if at all. I am getting a little perturbed that Fran and his coaches didnt make some adjustments throughout the game and have the players ready to run some different plays.
They used quite a few back screens for Aaron White to get him allyoops but it does seem they have gone away with that play the last few years . Might have something to do with Garza can’t jump an inch off the ground and Cook has terrible hands .

They used quite a few back screens for Aaron White to get him allyoops but it does seem they have gone away with that play the last few years . Might have something to do with Garza can’t jump an inch off the ground and Cook has terrible hands .

Yes, good point and thanks for the reminder. yes White was great at skying and putting it in the hoop. I have said for two years that Cook is a turnover machine because of his hands, thanks for the corroboration. And Garza does need to improve his footwork because if he can develop a drop down step or a one or two dribble drive by a defender and elevate he would be much better on the offensive end.

Garza got eaten up somewhat on the defensive end tonite also

Lots of things Garza could learn, but so far hasn't. Such as your baseline is your friend on defense why do you always allow the man to go by you on baseline??? Are your feet that slow or do you not possess a high (even mediocre) basketball intelligence to read the play?

Lots of things Garza could learn, but so far hasn't. Such as your baseline is your friend on defense why do you always allow the man to go by you on baseline??? Are your feet that slow or do you not possess a high (even mediocre) basketball intelligence to read the play?
Garza is a pretty good player. I think his footwork is excellent.

As for defending the drive, there is more than one way to do it. Way back when I played, then coached high school, and I think still today, players are taught to never give up baseline. But I think if you watch closely at the college level players deny the lane and funnel towards the baseline. Matter of preference. Each has is advantages and disadvantages.