Harty: Reboot proving to be a failure this season

SheagleHawk

Harty: Reboot proving to be a failure this season | Hawk Central

From Article:

“People kind of overlook certain things, but Iowa is a great school,â€￾ Michigan offensive lineman Taylor Lewan said. “It’s real cool to play them because it’s more or less what you see is what you get.

“They’re not going to try and trick you, not a lot of stuff, not a lot of twists.â€￾

How many times have we heard this?

To add on to that a bit:

"No disrespect to Lewan, but the same predictability for which he praised Iowa now is perhaps the thing that bothers Iowa fans the most about the current team. Being predictable only works when you’re winning."

And I would say "being predictable" only works when you have the talent to just impose your will on everyone. Unlike this year's Iowa team (or most of them). Our coaching staff = same game plan no matter our personnel or our opponent.

To add on to that a bit:

"No disrespect to Lewan, but the same predictability for which he praised Iowa now is perhaps the thing that bothers Iowa fans the most about the current team. Being predictable only works when you’re winning."

And I would say "being predictable" only works when you have the talent to just impose your will on everyone. Unlike this year's Iowa team (or most of them). Our coaching staff = same game plan no matter our personnel or our opponent.

Lewan didn't say predictable, he said they don't try to trick you.

"The players are right in saying that Iowa is suffering from a lack of execution. But it’s happening on the recruiting trail before it happens on the field."

He meant that as a good thing.

How is that a good thing, when a player of your next opponent says "It's really cool to play them, because it is more or less what you see is what you get"

I would actually prefer our opponent to say-- This is a tough week, because it's hard to prepare for them..

How is that a good thing, when a player of your next opponent says "It's really cool to play them, because it is more or less what you see is what you get"

I would actually prefer our opponent to say-- This is a tough week, because it's hard to prepare for them..

I prefer when our opponents know exactly what the Hawks are going to do and we still beat them. We have been there before and will get back there.

Look, the Hawks are tough to gameplan for because we'll do things one way for 9 weeks and then in week 10, bam, here comes a HB pass back to the QB and then the QB gunning it down the field when we are playing our most hated rival. Whoever has us in the 8th game next year better be ready.

I prefer when our opponents know exactly what the Hawks are going to do and we still beat them. We have been there before and will get back there.

Since we have been there before is it now simply that the talent level is so low or are the coaches not putting what talent they have in the right situations?

I knew a guy who was a wrestler. Not particularly talented. Got a new coach who told him to get very good at one move before you work on another one.

He chose the double-leg take down first. Ended up mastering it so much so that even though opponents knew it was coming he ended up doing quite well anyway.

Since we have been there before is it now simply that the talent level is so low or are the coaches not putting what talent they have in the right situations?

I knew a guy who was a wrestler. Not particularly talented. Got a new coach who told him to get very good at one move before you work on another one.

He chose the double-leg take down first. Ended up mastering it so much so that even though opponents knew it was coming he ended up doing quite well anyway.

So you are saying all our football players should master teh double-leg take down? I dont see that working.

So you are saying all our football players should master teh double-leg take down? I dont see that working.

lol. I can see it now. Went to a football game and a wrestling match broke out. :D

Wrestlers with helmets. Maybe that will get us back to being the bullies of the B1G.

I prefer whatever wins more games. Making yourself tougher to prepare for is better at that than relying on having superior talent and imposing your will. Unless you're one of the nation's elite teams that always has that kind of talent.

this year Iowa has been in 6 games decided by 3 points or less winning 2 and losing 4.
if they had been blown out or lost by dbl digits in every game I would be worried, this is not a bad team its a young team that is experiencing injuries at key positions, the OL is not a place this team could not afford to have any as young as they are, 3 of this years team 1st time starters have gone down to injuries with 2 done for the year to ACL's, one is back starting again
the RB position has been a revolving door all season, I feel that Weisman would have made a huge difference in the outcome of the Purdue, Indiana games, he might have made a difference in the NW game as Iowa controlled the clock for over 34 minutes on Offense.. Bullock is a good RB but Weisman is that Power back that makes the Iowa offense go, Greene and Coker were those type of backs, they also make it easier on the QB, even if the defense does put 8 men in the boxs they still got 3-5 yards and could get 20-25 or more once they broke thru

this year Iowa has been in 6 games decided by 3 points or less winning 2 and losing 4.
if they had been blown out or lost by dbl digits in every game I would be worried,

Ah yes, the old "we kept it close"...moral victory. I thought Hayden dug up that snake and killed it.

1. We're almost always close...win or lose...even against bad teams. It's the style of ball we play. And "close" is relative. 14 points can be close if you play an aggressive type of ball. Conversely, 3 points can seem huge if you look like we do offensively.

2. Look at the strength of schedule...close against weak competition isn't anything to celebrate. Indiana, Purdue, CMU, ISU and NIU..not exactly murderer's row...especially with 3 of them in Kinnick. (Mich st was the exception)

3. Forgetting score for just a moment. Have you seen the games? We look absolutely pathetic. (our own color man called the offense "comical") We're not "close" to being a good team...far from it.

Last edited:
if they had been blown out or lost by dbl digits in every game I would be worried, this is not a bad team its a young team that is experiencing injuries at key positions, the OL is not a place this team could not afford to have any as young as they are, 3 of this years team 1st time starters have gone down to injuries with 2 done for the year to ACL's, one is back starting again
the RB position has been a revolving door all season, I feel that Weisman would have made a huge difference in the outcome of the Purdue, Indiana games, he might have made a difference in the NW game as Iowa controlled the clock for over 34 minutes on Offense.. Bullock is a good RB but Weisman is that Power back that makes the Iowa offense go, Greene and Coker were those type of backs, they also make it easier on the QB, even if the defense does put 8 men in the boxs they still got 3-5 yards and could get 20-25 or more once they broke thru

Soooo....we lost to a team that is winless in arguably the worst BCS conference, at HOME, that missed a 20yd fg, was -3 in TO margin, hadn't won in Kinnick in almost 20 yrs, and had their WR coach calling the O b/c the OC was out........yet "this is not a bad team its a young team experiencing injuries at key positions"??

Mind you Purdue hadn't put up 400 yds in their previous 22 games, yet almost put up 500 on us (most genereated by 2 guys with 6 torn ACLs between the two of them) . Yep, just young.

This team lost to a pathetic Indiana team who hadn't won a game at HOME since 2009!!! Yep, just young. Wait, they played more FR and SO? So I guess one can logically deduct that Indiana has better talent than Iowa. We're not bad, " just young team that is experiencing injuries at key positions".

This team lost to CMU. No further explanation needed. "Just young team that is experiencing injuries at key postions."

This team lost to a bad Iowa State team at home for the first time in a decade. "Just a young team that is experiencing injuries at key positions."

This team is absolutely horrible in every facet of the game except, oddly enough, special teams. The fact that Herby attributes this horrible season to injuries is beyond sad. You do realize that other teams are young and "experience injuries at key positions" every year, yet do not chit the bed anywhere nearly as bad as Iowa has done, right? Please tell me you realize this, Herby.

Last edited:

Latest posts