Harbaugh would be bad choice at Michigan

tweeterhawk

... for Iowa and for the rest of the conference.

IMHO he would make the Maize and Blue relevant again almost immediately: the favorite son returns home to fix a broken, tarnished program and heal a divided Wolverine nation. If allowed to bring in most of his Cardinal staff, he would instantly attract a higher level of recruit. He appears to run a solid program that can compete; the dismantling tonight of Virginia Tech was a thing to behold (KF/KOK, were you taking notes about how to not take the foot off the gas pedal?). He would fire up a large segment of the Wolverine fan base and get donors to open their wallets big time.

Let's hope he stays at Stanford or goes to the NFL.

I predict that if he's returning home, it will become apparent soon now that his bowl game is over.

I agree, he's a fantastic coach and most definitely runs a clean program at Stanford. Not only would he turn Michigan around quickly, but he'd clean up the reputation RR left. Hopefully he stays out west and takes the 49er's job.

agreed.
according to fufred, a deal is already done, signed, sealed and delivered. since he and tress are the only ones playing chess, i guess we ought to be shaking.

I actually would love it if he went to Michigan. The conference needs Michigan to be strong.

It would certainly make things tougher for Iowa. The Big Ten is better when Michigan is relevant though.

agreed.
according to fufred, a deal is already done, signed, sealed and delivered. since he and tress are the only ones playing chess, i guess we ought to be shaking.
Harbaugh will be announced as UM's coach this week according to people that would know....

I actually would love it if he went to Michigan. The conference needs Michigan to be strong.

I agree. At the same time I would hate to see a return to the two perpetually dominant football programs and the rest of the conference. Although Nebby likely will change that dynamic a bit.

Would Harbaugh succeed at Michigan? probably. But I don't think it's a far gone conclusion, first of all he would be completely changing the way the team plays. That's going to involve a strong over hall of players (for instance, who would play QB for that team).

Also, that defense is really, really, bad right now. You would think that it would take a year or two for them to be decent as well.

Plus, there have been many times in both basketball and football where a coach that is good goes from a lesser program to a great program and everyone thinks "there is no way he won't succeed there" and he doesn't. Let's remember, the Pac 10 is a good conference but one could argue that no one plays the physical style of football like the Big 10. Harbaugh runs a physical style but it may not be as successful here as it was out west.

Would Harbaugh succeed at Michigan? probably. But I don't think it's a far gone conclusion, first of all he would be completely changing the way the team plays. That's going to involve a strong over hall of players (for instance, who would play QB for that team).

Also, that defense is really, really, bad right now. You would think that it would take a year or two for them to be decent as well.

Plus, there have been many times in both basketball and football where a coach that is good goes from a lesser program to a great program and everyone thinks "there is no way he won't succeed there" and he doesn't. Let's remember, the Pac 10 is a good conference but one could argue that no one plays the physical style of football like the Big 10. Harbaugh runs a physical style but it may not be as successful here as it was out west.

Stanford could have out-physicalled every big ten team this year. They were most likely the most physical team in the nation this year in my opinion.

Stanford could have out-physicalled every big ten team this year. They were most likely the most physical team in the nation this year in my opinion.

Yeah, Stanford was a good team but it doesn't mean he will get the same results at Michigan.

Stanford was 1-11 the year before he took over there and didn't have near the offensive talent that Michigan has. Also, he's not a mid major coach moving up to a BCS level conference, he's going from the Pac-10 to the Big 10, which might actually be a step down.

That said, it doesn't look like we will ever get to see him at Michigan.

Like I have been saying for months, he is not going to Michigan, no matter how badly Steve Deace wants him to. The Detroit Free Press is reporting the same thing.

Taking/not taking the foot off the pedal.

I find it interesting that people complain when they don't think we score as many points as we could against lessor opponents. But then when ARob got hurt in a game where we tried to do just that a lot of (those same) people were probably complaining that we had him in when there was no need.

Re: Taking/not taking the foot off the pedal.

I find it interesting that people complain when they don't think we score as many points as we could against lessor opponents. But then when ARob got hurt in a game where we tried to do just that a lot of (those same) people were probably complaining that we had him in when there was no need.

Except we weren't trying to score more. We were trying to run out the clock by doing nothing but run up the middle, with our starting RB. Either continue to run the normal offense, or put in the backups and let them run the ball.

Stanford was 1-11 the year before he took over there and didn't have near the offensive talent that Michigan has. Also, he's not a mid major coach moving up to a BCS level conference, he's going from the Pac-10 to the Big 10, which might actually be a step down.

That said, it doesn't look like we will ever get to see him at Michigan.

Going from the Pac-10 to the Big-10 is not a step down.....and going from Stanford to Michigan sure isn't.

Other than that I agree....Harbaugh isn't going to Michigan.

Latest posts