Greg Davis needs to hang it up

Herkyalert

Banned
He still isn't calling the correct plays to fit the type of players Iowa has, and seems to call certain plays (bubble screen) just to call them. It's the square peg in a round hole thing and I just don't think he should be retained next season. Here's to hoping Ferentz has a talk with him and encourages him to retire.

I think that "we need to play within ourselves" comment at half was a direct shot at Davis.

Isn't Davis's contract up this year? Seems like as good a time as any to hand the OC position over to Brain.

That's my 2014 prediction. Brain Ferentz becomes OC.

This is not Davis offense. Untill Kf is willing to let an offensive coordinator run their own scheme it doesnt matter much who the Oc is.

This is not Davis offense. Untill Kf is willing to let an offensive coordinator run their own scheme it doesnt matter much who the Oc is.
This isn't the same offense KOK ran so this is indeed the offense of Greg Davis. A lot of the same calls Iowa fans complain about are the same ones Texas complained about when he was at Texas. Ferentz has clearly distanced himself from the offense since Davis arrived.

This isn't the same offense KOK ran so this is indeed the offense of Greg Davis. A lot of the same calls Iowa fans complain about are the same ones Texas complained about when he was at Texas. Ferentz has clearly distanced himself from the offense since Davis arrived.

Yes and No.

We still do some things the same...zone blocking, that dreaded (and rarely successful) run into the short side of the field (usually off of an audible) and we use our tight ends very much the same. None of that was Greg Davis at Texas.

What I wouldn't do to get KOK back at this point!

Don't know what ya got, till its gone. KOK's offenses weren't great but much more interesting that this. Still pretty sure that the head man holds things up but he seems to be letting go more and more so here's hoping

The rollout on 4th down with CJ was a horrible call, it worked once, from that point on LSU was going to be prepared for that type of play. It was like he had a brain fart and just went back to the well that was already dry.

The rollout on 4th down with CJ was a horrible call, it worked once, from that point on LSU was going to be prepared for that type of play. It was like he had a brain fart and just went back to the well that was already dry.
That bubble screen to Vandeberg was awful as well and that wasn't the first time this year that one was dialed up.

Davis used his personnel well against purdue, Mich, and Nebby to finish the season.

I thought GD gave up on the run too quick in the second possession of the game.

And I thought GD called too many , way too many wide stretch plays against a fast defense that was supposed to be strong on the edges but weak in the middle.

But we are weak in personnel at the WR corp, I pull for all our players but we need more speed and more guys that can outduel defenders.

I saw some good routes and good catches today and over the last half of the season.

I think Jake can do it and if we have the running game and a better passing game next year the GD should do OK.

But I agree that GD needs to mix up the power straight ahead run game with the wide game

This year was better than last but I'm still not happy with our offensive production.

I think a lot of it has to do with our lack of playmakers at the WR position.

My hope is that GD will have had a couple years now to get some of his own guys in at WR and if we go with the canzeri/Daniels combo with a smaller dose of Weisman next year and should only be better at the QB position whether that is a 2nd year starter or a guy that beat him out for the job and with this tools year 3 will be better than year 2, just as year 2 was than year 1.

So with that said I'm not ready to make a move and I think we are still set up for a great year next year, but to have that our offense must carry it's share of the weight next season.

I also agree that GD abandoned the run early in the first half. It was 7 to 0 and JR was out there slinging it like we were down 20.

One play I don't understand is when we toss or run wide with wiesman. Against solid Ds he isn't quick enough to hit the edge. Those type of plays should be reserved for Canzeri, I won't even mention Bullock's song and dance today. Just hit the hole #5.

I disagree. Last year they tried to combine KF running scheme's with GD passing schemes and it was a disaster. Remember all the screens, 3 yard patterns, all the garbage?? I think this year's passing scheme has much more of a KOK feel to it. It is still GD passing scheme, but it is modified from last year. The running game is still KF running game though, this is not what GD would run at all as far as the running game goes.

I dont know what your watching but Kf clearly took Iowa back to the zone blocking stretch play/play action bootleg tight end heavy offense of before. Aka his offense, Gruden even called it his offense.

Davis ran 5 wide zone read horrizontal passing at Ut.

Iowas offense clearly resembles the previous OCs days far more than the latter.

The only remnant of the Davis approach is a little bit of the short passes but they are throwing the ball down feild much more often.

I really wish GD would hang it up. Not so much that I think GD is terrible, he is doing the best he can with the hand he is dealt. What we need is Brian to come in, so he can tell his dad to butt out of the offense, and just let him run it. The offense will never change under KF any other way.

He did a fair job.
I agree we run a kf run/ gd pass, thank god. My lord I could not imagine the games where we could not run the ball!!! Oh yes I can I saw a few this year.
Now year three, this passing game needs to step up.
As for D, they are doing pretty well and no doubt better receivers would also help with the training of db's and safeties. But we need people to really step up on the backside.

Would people stop the "this is KF telling Greg Davis what to do stuff". They have obviously agreed on who we are offensively and what we need to do to be successful. What they keep coming back to is execution. There were several plays that were quite simply left on the field because our QB didn't play well and didn't throw the ball well, especially in the first half. Greg Davis is calling the plays he wants to call...stop the KF isn't allowing him to do what he wants.

Rudock played subpar against a good defensive team. We didn't keep their offense off the field by sustaining drives and we left points off the board when we had scoring opps. To me, other than Jake having a bad night, the fact that we continue to pound Weisman (18 carries for 37 yards) is a glaring issue. I get you have to pound to make the play action work, but 18 times? You can't waste that many plays without production...that's the bottom line. Keeping them honest isn't a good enough reason for running 18 times at 2 yards a crack...he wasn't going to break anything against that defense. Canzeri is another story...but I think we all agree, he needs more carries.

If you want to ***** about GD, it should be about play selection and personnel groupings. I would have liked to see us go three TE's and go toe to toe a bit more...and I mean straight ahead power...they were tiring...and it would have worked.

I dont agree on things with my employees, I tell them how to do it and thats how they do it.

Davis calls the plays but the offense is not his design.

Latest posts