Graveyard?

revkev73

Has Iowa turned into a coaching graveyard over the last two decades?

If so, why? What do the numbers say? What do other coaches "say" about the job?

I don’t think it’s a graveyard...I think we’ve just had crappy coaches since TD was let go. Alford was learning on the job, TL was the bad apple in a long line of great Butler cosches (by the way, how “Iowa” is it that we got the only bad Butler coach...Matta, Stevens, Holtmann...and we choose Lickliter)...FM is a program builder, but has no idea how to sustain...has left every other job before the “sustainment” phase could kick in. Good thing we hamstrung our ability to get rid of him....

I don’t think it’s a graveyard...I think we’ve just had crappy coaches since TD was let go. Alford was learning on the job, TL was the bad apple in a long line of great Butler cosches (by the way, how “Iowa” is it that we got the only bad Butler coach...Matta, Stevens, Holtmann...and we choose Lickliter)...FM is a program builder, but has no idea how to sustain...has left every other job before the “sustainment” phase could kick in. Good thing we hamstrung our ability to get rid of him....

Think where FM would be if Woody went to NC, Marble wasnt here, Uthoff didnt transfer, and Jok didnt have the knee injury? Builder? Lucky?

It is troubling and not trending well... Not that many players seems to make dramatic transitions upward in their ability..nor the coaches. Treading water.

Which players on this year's team are "better" than last year as a fundamental player?

If it’s any consolation Iowa should be looked at as a kickass job for a new coach coming in. Huge guaranteed money and the biggest homer fan base in all of college sports. Iowa fans will let you go 0-100 as long as no one gets arrested, you graduate 90 some percent of your players (still haven’t figured this one out), and you donate some money to charity every few years. Now if we could just use that to our advantage and get a good coach in the door.

Barry Collier struggled at Nebraska, but your point is well taken. Not going to crush Barta on this one who knew that a then young 30 something coaching rock star was waiting to take over. Butler knew, Barta went the with reigning COY. Can’t fault him for it. Hindsight stuff.

Is DJ Carton the watershed player who will decide whether Fran is will be around long term? Make of break from the Graveyard?

Is DJ Carton the watershed player who will decide whether Fran is will be around long term? Make of break from the Graveyard?

He seems like an ok player but I don’t see him as a program changer.

Weiskamp will have a bigger impact on a program than Carston in my opinion.

Either Carton or Locure paired w Weiskamp will be the watershed. Iowa needs one of those 2 pg (both is even better) to pair w the best recruit in a generation. The 2019 recruiting cycle will define FM at Iowa.

Concur...we just absolutely need a couple of PGs on this team...NOW...NEXT YEAR...,

CW flew the coop...probably concerned about CM running him over...CM off line...left with JB...bad foot, not a PG, worn out, attacked constantly by the opposing guards... It has to be fixed...or it is going to get very quiet at Carver...deathly...

If it were me...I would play Bailey at PG, the rest of the season, rested by JB who can do most of his time sniping from long range... Hide him in a zone...

If you want to be bubblicious...yes.

That's a different discussion. You asked what Frans teams would have looked like without 1 or 2 of the key players. Unless you're an elite top 10 program, losing your top 1 or 2 players hurts. It's true for all but the top teams.

This year sucks, and I won't defend Fran, not with last night's performance. But let's not get too crazy with the what ifs.

Graveyard, no. More like an old folks home. A place you come to live out the rest of your days knowing that this is your last home before you cash in your chips.

That's a different discussion. You asked what Frans teams would have looked like without 1 or 2 of the key players. Unless you're an elite top 10 program, losing your top 1 or 2 players hurts. It's true for all but the top teams.

This year sucks, and I won't defend Fran, not with last night's performance. But let's not get too crazy with the what ifs.

Realism is hard to ignore.

Thise other years would be like this without them. With them we werent sweet.

Realism is hard to ignore.

Thise other years would be like this without them. With them we werent sweet.

Yes it is. Yeah, we'd be worse without our best players, and we've been a bubble team with them.

Not sure your point. But not getting into a circular chat with ya, which I know you love to have.

It all started with the Mr. Davis fiasco. Gave bad PR getting rid of a good coach. Then, we have had 3 bad coaching hires (for various reasons) in a row. We have had 2 unspectacular ADs in a row. We have had controversial hires for U of I Presidents.

Iowa has been a mess at the top and it has trickled down into poor coaching hires. Iowa needs to clean house at the top and start re-prioritizing what is important and what they want to accomplish out of their athletic programs.

Perhaps the Iowa leadership has decided what they want to be...this is it...

Yes...a place to play out the string, without worries of firing or much pressure, coach...hang on until you get get your kids into the feeding trough...move to a sunny locale...great job coach...lots of "wins" in the column that matters...mostly a result of lifetime tenure to rack up those 60% winning seasons.

Actually...it is kind of difficult to consistently be this poor, fundamentally unsound, and boring in the two "big sports" at at a top level program. Somehow "they" get away with it... Iowa is filled with nice people, who don't want something even worse to happen...for now...

Latest posts