Good win

hawkinn3

You take away the mental mistakes that led to those huge plays from the RB of UNI we dominated, those mistakes can be cleaned up. Offense looked good once it opened up a little.

However, they need to quit running 1 yard outs to guys who can't break tackles. I look forward to seeing some improvement next week.

The game was tolerable, and I'm content with it. In year 16 of Ferentz, that was about exactly what should have been expected in a season opener against a (probable) top-25 FCS team.

It's a good win. But UNI gave the game away more than Iowa took it from them. Clean up the mistakes and hopefully look forward to a blowout against Ball State.

More Bo Bower at linebacker should help. I also look forward to seeing what Josey Jewel can do. I am sure that all the linebackers will clean up the pass coverage too.

You take away the mental mistakes that led to those huge plays from the RB of UNI we dominated, those mistakes can be cleaned up. Offense looked good once it opened up a little.

However, they need to quit running 1 yard outs to guys who can't break tackles. I look forward to seeing some improvement next week.

Don't really thing I can say we dominated anything.

It was a decent win... however our inability to run the ball was a bit frightening.

Happy to get the win but with as much help as we got from penalties, it should have been an easier win.

I would have expected this type of score/game had the Panthers played a clean game, but that certainly wasn't the case.

It was a decent win... however our inability to run the ball was a bit frightening.

I blame GD and Jake for that, every audible was a run and they kept trying the right. When the D knows what is coming and a can goad you into running it at will, it's not going to turn out well.

More Bo Bower at linebacker should help. I also look forward to seeing what Josey Jewel can do. I am sure that all the linebackers will clean up the pass coverage too.

Hey something I agree with... I think Bower solidified his position at LB.

agreed - Damn !

I was thinking this team looked like 2012....however, this team has guys who can and did make plays. That's the difference.

Thought Bower and Mabin were good additions. And they will get better. As for the rest of the defense....We hope so.

Bower was a beast!! Disappointed in Alston. He has the most experience but was out of position most of the time. I think we are trying to get too cute with our run game. Great we have a staple of back but we go from one extreme to the other. Hard for a back or get a rhytmn. Ruddock did check down a ton and audible to runs every time. I think if we can get MM, Willies, and Powell going, look out. Biggest issue I saw was the linebacker play.

Happy to get the win but with as much help as we got from penalties, it should have been an easier win.

I would have expected this type of score/game had the Panthers played a clean game, but that certainly wasn't the case.

^^^^^^ and this ^^^^^^

I am excited to see more of Willies and Smith at receiver. Those guys look to be legit deep threat receivers.

Also I think Bullock looks best to be used as a pass to back coming out if the backfield.

Win? Yes.
Good win? I'm saying, no.

How can we NOT run the ball with the advantage we are supposed to have on the Offensive Line?!
Very impressed with this Defensive Line!!
Rudock looks more confident.
Like the potential we have with the WRs.
TEs felt non-existent.

Win? Yes.
Good win? I'm saying, no ... TEs felt non-existent.
I was right with you until that last statement.

Duzey had 7 for 34
HKC was 1 for 13
Hamilton was 1 for 10

That's 9 receptions by our TEs in one game. I wish they had double the average YDS but that will come w/ experience. What struck me was that 13 different guys caught the ball today and there were very few drops. Most of the incompletes were on Rudock over thorwing and those were pretty safe overthrows. Rudock was hitting 75% of his passes and no ints.

Like you said, I expected more yards on ground, especially in the 4th Qtr. The TEs accounted for nearly 1/3 of the receptions. That is more like what I was expecting. Wish one or more of those were for TDs but that will come later as the team progresses.

Another thing I noticed was 8 receptions for KMM that is a good start this year him getting the all time reception record for Iowa.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Our "normal/base" running game garnered 95 rushing yards on 32 carries. That isn't great especially when we should have held a decided advantage up front. The other 56 yards came from an end around and a jet sweep. You could probably take it further and remove Rudock from the equation, leaving 28 carries for 78 yards. Ick...

Latest posts