Good recruiters

westview

Whats make good recruiter. Coaching at a school with great tradition, in a highly populated state helps. Also having low entrance requirements is a factor. Knowing AAU coaches has become very important. And last but not least buying players. Just a few of the things that help make a good recruiter. I am sure there are other things.

....Having a practice facility, Not taking over a dying program from a predecessor, not having players leave because they don't like the system...

Having years of connections, having years of experience with recruiting Big 10 type players, having connections with AAU programs, having a great personality probably helps, having a program to sell, having a coach that has put players into the NBA, and probably playing a type of bb that showcases skills of players, facilities-probably help if you have to compare to other Big 10 schools.

You don't have to cheat, you do not have to buy players, and yes being in a populated state help tremendously, and a "name" school like Kentucky helps...the great recruiter can get around all of that.

recruiting Big 10 type players

Not sure what a "Big 10 type" player is. Does North Carolina and Duke recruit "ACC type" players? Does Kansas recruit "Big 12" type players? I think those programs would do fairly well in the Big 10.

The elite players can play anywhere. We just need to start getting a few.

Having years of connections, having years of experience with recruiting Big 10 type players, having connections with AAU programs, having a great personality probably helps, having a program to sell, having a coach that has put players into the NBA, and probably playing a type of bb that showcases skills of players, facilities-probably help if you have to compare to other Big 10 schools.

You don't have to cheat, you do not have to buy players, and yes being in a populated state help tremendously, and a "name" school like Kentucky helps...the great recruiter can get around all of that.

I have to agree with most of your ideas regarding connections and experience regarding what it takes to bring in recruits. What we need to remember is that when Lick came he had to begin making these connections. We are starting to see some of these connections begin to bring us what are deemed to be "better" recruits this next year. Hopefully these connections and the added experience along with the facility upgrades will begin to pay dividends going forward.

I hope everyone remembers that if we would make a change at the end of this season, as many on this site suggest, we are not going to bring in a name coach that has all these things in place. With an "up and coming" coach or high level assistant, which is what we will most likely get, these connections and experience will all have to begin again.

(Begin Again) ? When do you think we ever started ? Lick was a head coach and a COY before taking the Iowa job. Why didn't he already have some connections ? The only experience gained over the last three years is to see how a bad hire can drag a program down.

I think that the type of person you are is reflected in your recruiting efforts. Brands and Ferentz tend to get likeminded kids to come to Iowa. I think Brands sold the VT transfers on mindset, work ethic and all of the qualities that he exemplifies himself.

What is a Big 10 type player? Does that really need answering?

There are players at the Division II level, there are mid-major players, and there are major college players...if I am correct. A Big 10 player are players that would rank at the top of the college ranks wouldn't they, along with ACC, Big East, Pac 10, SEC, and so on. Now what was so difficult about that?

Latest posts