Good game to learn from.

DowsHawk1

Without a box score to look at, here are ten unprofessional observations:
1. We can't defend man to man on the perimeter against quick guards.
2. Uthoff will be in the game at crunch time and is a happy addition. He wants the ball and I really like that
3. Dev will need to work on a foreign language
4. White is the glue of the team.
5. Mike is a long way from being back to his pre injury form
6. One game doesn't make a season Friday or today.
7. May is missed defensively and so is Josh
8. We better figure out another option to end games than just give it to Dev and watch him work.
9. When the level of competition steps up it's easier to identify who the players are.
10. OVERALL..... Very sloppy

Hats off to White, McCabe, and JU. We won the game because of them. I thought Sapp also settled us down a bit and was a key.
Woody showed more than last game and came out with a chip on his shoulder. I liked that too.

Without a box score to look at, here are ten unprofessional observations:
1. We can't defend man to man on the perimeter against quick guards.
2. Uthoff will be in the game at crunch time and is a happy addition. He wants the ball and I really like that
3. Dev will need to work on a foreign language
4. White is the glue of the team.
5. Mike is a long way from being back to his pre injury form
6. One game doesn't make a season Friday or today.
7. May is missed defensively and so is Josh
8. We better figure out another option to end games than just give it to Dev and watch him work.
9. When the level of competition steps up it's easier to identify who the players are.
10. OVERALL..... Very sloppy

Hats off to White, McCabe, and JU. We won the game because of them. I thought Sapp also settled us down a bit and was a key.
Woody showed more than last game and came out with a chip on his shoulder. I liked that too.

Don't forget Basabe.

3. Dev will need to work on a foreign language.

Funny. And true. The NBA talk for the last year has been amusing.

There are going to be long nights if this team can only rely on transition and free throws.

There were gonna be long nights. I think I went 23-8 on the year...that means eight long nights ;) It's basketball, and that stuff happens over the course of a likely 33+ game season

Way to early to make to many judgements, but quick guards seem to give Iowa problems. It was an issue against Augustana and again today. I think Sapp bailed them out today by hitting that 3 along with his defense. Oglesby was missed in this game.

I was very impressed with Fran, a very good in game coach who was making adjustments on the fly.

well we won and that's all the matters -- always going to be nights like this...

However we still appear to have the same glaring weakness as last year... outside shooting...

LOL Jon, Too many years of watching BB not to jump to conclusions I guess.

I will say I've seen enough of our guys out front defending over this year and last to feel comfortable saying we won't be successful man to man against quick guards and May is really missed as a defender. Maybe Dev really steps up as a closer but color me skeptical. I have looked a White as the glue guy for a while. JU in the crunch time group and Mike being back from injury are based on two games certainly but I'll stick with those observations for the time being because I can be stubborn and opinionated.

At least there's enough opinions in the post to perhaps stimulate some bb discussion while we're all still filled with good expectations for the team. The rub comes when someone is asked to define good. :p

It was painful to watch at times but come March nobody will care what the final score was. A win is a win.

^^ Truth. ^^ Four months from now, nobody will care that we only won this game by single digits. The only things that will matter are RPI, good wins, and bad losses. Lose a game like this one tonight though, and it will haunt you in March in the "bad losses" column.

I think Omaha might do pretty well for themselves and be a nice boost for our RPI and such. Also I think its good that the team will go to the Bahamas having already been hit in the mouth and forced to play the whole 40 minutes. That way, when we get to Atlantis and play some teams that can score more than 12 in the first half, we actually know how we handle ourselves in the second half. Also, trailing an inferior team before rallying for a win feels so much better than last year's leading inferior teams and stumbling to defeat.

Nothing wrong with playing a close one early. However I'm starting uthoff and playing zone 80% of the time with Iowa's length. Also Iowa's game plan should be to relentlessly attempt to draw fouls this year.

Nothing wrong with playing a close one early. However I'm starting uthoff and playing zone 80% of the time with Iowa's length. Also Iowa's game plan should be to relentlessly attempt to draw fouls this year.

If they not going to hit the perimeter shot the free throw shooting will bail them out.

I like your idea. If today's game was an indication of the future, the offense needs to be redesigned so that the primary goal is to get fouled. If we executed that offense properly, we could go 3 for 10 from the field and score 90 points at the free throw line. Perfect. Those are the only shots we can make anyway. I hope this doesn't come off as sarcastic, because I really like it when we get fouled a lot instead of missing long shots.

I like your idea. If today's game was an indication of the future, the offense needs to be redesigned so that the primary goal is to get fouled. If we executed that offense properly, we could go 3 for 10 from the field and score 90 points at the free throw line. Perfect. Those are the only shots we can make anyway. I hope this doesn't come off as sarcastic, because I really like it when we get fouled a lot instead of missing long shots.

Getting fouled a lot leads to good efficiency and good efficiency=good offensive basketball so you should definitely enjoy getting fouled a lot.

We're still basically who we were to start the season. I checked back at my post 2 games into the year. A lot of the same questions remain to be answered. We are making progress though.

What is encouraging is I do think Mike is playing at a high level now in spite of his missed FT's tonight. JU is giving us nice minutes and I think will get better as the year wears on and he gains more experience. I was pleased with the way we got the ball off the glass tonight. I hope the trend continues. Woody hopefully answered some of the questions as to why he is starting. We still have work to do closing out games and we have to eliminate settling for quick threes attempting to stick the dagger in when we are up. Those possessions were as costly as the end of the game ones were.

We played close to the same level tonight as we played at the end of last year. We were a long ways from being this good 11 games into last season. Give it time. It's going to be a fun ride, but expect some bumps along the way. We hit a pot hole tonight, but it's not like the bridge was out.

Latest posts