Golson Leaves ND

"Everett is not enrolled at the university. Federal law and our own polices preclude us from discussing specifics," spokesman Dennis Brown said in an email.

I understand the "our own policies" part, but federal law? What federal laws are on the books that would prevent ND from talking about this?!? (unless it's some sorta crime)

"Everett is not enrolled at the university. Federal law and our own polices preclude us from discussing specifics," spokesman Dennis Brown said in an email.

I understand the "our own policies" part, but federal law? What federal laws are on the books that would prevent ND from talking about this?!? (unless it's some sorta crime)

IIRC, it's kind of like HIPAA in the medical field. sure, some schools hide behind it like Iowa did with the Coker situation. but, i do know that colleges aren't allowed to disclose certain types of information. for example, one of my college classmate's parents called our school and wanted to know his grades and student loan debt to pay some of it off, and the school wouldn't disclose either unless the kid signed a disclosure form.

IIRC, it's kind of like HIPAA in the medical field. sure, some schools hide behind it like Iowa did with the Coker situation. but, i do know that colleges aren't allowed to disclose certain types of information. for example, one of my college classmate's parents called our school and wanted to know his grades and student loan debt to pay some of it off, and the school wouldn't disclose either unless the kid signed a disclosure form.

I see...thx for the explanation. S'pose it kinda makes sense.

You won't ever find an SEC athlete, starting QB, dismissed from a team due to anything related to academics.

I have to say that I was impressed with Notre Dame's response. I suppose the situation may have been so blatant, obvious and widely known that they didn't have a choice, but my first thought was similarly "There are a lot of schools that would have swept it under the rug or put a "rehabilitation" plan in place that would have (coincidentally) allowed him to regain his eligibility just before football season."