Going for it on fourth down... a commentary on our place kicking

BSpringsteen

We've had situations in each of the past two weeks where we were in marginal field goal territory (30 yard line or so) but opted to go for it... can we assume KF isn't real confident in our place kicking right now?

That will come to bite us in the rear at some point this year, IF that is true.

It could also be that we're sending a message to both our team and the other team as well. Or that we feel we've got a better chance of making a first down by going for it than by getting three points kicking a field goal...I think if we get into a 4th and 2 (something longer than the 4th and 1/2-1 yard that we've had so far) a little closer to the end zone, I think we kick it.

/wishful thinking

Last edited:
what it means is we have gone for it a few times and in those times the offense was putting drive after drive together and he probably didn't want to interrupt the momentum since it was 4th and a yard or so and their defense couldnt stop the run all day, why not? Your defense is dominant and your runners have only one or two plays where they didn't get positive yardage. You are in no worse field position than a kickoff return would be so why not? It is all about resting your defense, giving your young offensive line confidence, and knowing you have an 89.73% chance of making that first down with what has happened so far in the game (i.e.-the positive rushing, etc).

Remember that these initial games are to find out what your team can do. I didn't have an issue with going for it or the play call the last two weeks. You have to know what you're capable of when it really counts.

Anything past the 30 is at least a 47-yard FG. Murray/Mossbrucker may have gotten more accurate on FG's inside of 40, but neither has a big leg, we knew that a long time ago. 47 yards is getting into Kaeding range for us.

If a team can't get a half-yard with a QB keeper, then there is a big problem. Looking at the down, distance, field position and build up to those plays going for it was the right call no matter what kind of kicker is in the stable. There will be times this team will not get that half yard, and it will be the right call at that juncture as well.

Touchdowns, and the prospect of them, are and always will be more important than field goals. Unless there are only a few seconds left, and Iowa is down 2 or 3, going for it will be the best option.

We've had situations in each of the past two weeks where we were in marginal field goal territory (30 yard line or so) but opted to go for it... can we assume KF isn't real confident in our place kicking right now?

That will come to bite us in the rear at some point this year, IF that is true.

I'd guess he wanted to send a message to the offense and see what they could do in that situation. Plus, considering the defense he could then send out on the field and the length of those possible field goals, why try the kick? Too close to punt, too far for a FG and a nasty defense to put on the field to stop the other team? I'd say he made the right call. Even if they don't convert.

Depends on the distance, I think. But for the most part, kicking from the 30 is a 47 yard field goal. Our kickers aren't that great at those distances. Chances are, if you're at your opponent's 30 yard line, you're probably able to move the ball a little bit. So unless you're looking at 4th and forever, I say going for it will probably be better than trying for and missing a long field goal.

Going for it on 4th and 6+ yards is a sign your kicking game is in trouble from the 20 to the 35 yard line. Going for it on 4th and short between the 25 and 37 +/- is a sign your team has a high probability of picking it up.

Down and distance are critical factors.

Agreed. If less than 5 yards and in possession of timeouts you shold always at Least try to draw the opponent offsides before kicking, even if you have decided to not go. The dline will almost always be looking to jump the snap and stop the run on fourth and short.

Kirk just can't get it right. Gets criticized for being too conservative in the past and for not getting some experience for PK.

How about this: he's showing opposing coaches that in situations like that they might have to stop Iowa not only on third down but also on fourth. That hasn't been his MO previously.

Like two reverses back-to-back. You don't think that isn't going to be in the back of defenses' minds when Iowa runs one sometime again this season?

Plays are not only run to set up plays in the same game. Plays (trends, too) are run early in the season to set something up for later in the season.

Kirk just can't get it right. Gets criticized for being too conservative in the past and for not getting some experience for PK.

How about this: he's showing opposing coaches that in situations like that they might have to stop Iowa not only on third down but also on fourth. That hasn't been his MO previously.

Like two reverses back-to-back. You don't think that isn't going to be in the back of defenses' minds when Iowa runs one sometime again this season?

Plays are not only run to set up plays in the same game. Plays (trends, too) are run early in the season to set something up for later in the season.

Try some decaf bub... I wasn't criticizing him at all... I am just wondering if there is a correlation between the two.

I love that we're going for it on 4th and short when were driving down the field. We have been way to conservative for years.....look at the Ohio State Game from last year....we had a chance to win the game, win the Big Ten Title...and Rose bowl birth, instead of trying to get a TD to seal it and win it under the odds we had going into that game, we kick a field goal and go to OT, which i knew was the end for us in that game. I love that we are going for it.....let it all hang out on the field...let the vest in Ohio be the conservative one in the Big Ten! GO KIRK!!!!

I don't think the fourth down attempts were as much about lack of confidence in kicking as it was about gaining a few inches to control the game. If it was a fourth and 4 and they were going for it, that'd be different, but this staff knows when to press the limits and when they should be conservative....we obviously had major mojo on our sides and the times of the attempts.

Try some decaf bub... I wasn't criticizing him at all... I am just wondering if there is a correlation between the two.
My bad. Apologies.

It would have been nice to get some game expereince for PK, but I do think KF sent a message to his offensive unit, an extra line or two in opponents' scouting reports and an extra gameday gray matter twitch of "what if".

Latest posts