Give ISU credit and blame Fran some

golfingwags

With the new rules in basketball driving to the hoop is usually going to result in a defensive foul. Hoiberg had his guys ready to attack the basket. Fran did not. The entire ISU/Iowa game ISU was the agreesor in the half court. Iowa did very well on fast breaks but usually did not go hard at the basket. Watch how many times Hogue/Kane/Niang would get the ball down low and go strong at the hoop.....then watch Marble/Basabe/White/Woodbury do fade aways or hook shots.

Don't blame the refs...blame Iowa players for going soft to the hoop (which has been a knock on these players for awhile). McCabe/White bangs sometimes but most of the guys shy away from contact instead of initiating it.

Iowa's defense was designed to limit ISU's three point shooting...they achieved that goal. But it meant that they were thin inside.
ISU drew fouls inside....something had to give. It was a smart strategy.
ISU fans have said that no one they have played shut them down like Iowa.
Fran had a good gameplan. Iowa executed well on offense, shot almost 50%, and led the whole game....if they make a couple of free throws, Fran is a genius, but because they miss the free throws, Fran blew it? Nah.

Sorry but you can't blame Fran for them missing CRUTIAL free throws at the end of the game.

I do blame Fran for not forcing the UofI to buy state of the art sound system to put in the practice gym, and crank the thing so the backboards rumble, and have the player practice like that.

Iowa's defense was designed to limit ISU's three point shooting...they achieved that goal. But it meant that they were thin inside.
Fran had a good gameplan. Iowa executed well on offense, shot almost 50%, and led the whole game....if they make a couple of free throws, Fran is a genius, but because they miss the free throws, Fran blew it? Nah.

THANK YOU! I can't fathom how people are blaming this loss on Fran at all. We wouldn't have been in the game in the first place if it wasn't for him.

Sorry but you can't blame Fran for them missing CRUTIAL free throws at the end of the game.

I do blame Fran for not forcing the UofI to buy state of the art sound system to put in the practice gym, and crank the thing so the backboards rumble, and have the player practice like that.

Crucial

I never said Fran blew it.....I said there was a reason for the difference in FT shooting and it wasn't the refs.

Where in my post did I blame Fran for missed free throws? Also....pretty sure I said blame the players for going soft to the hoop.

I never said Fran blew it.....I said there was a reason for the difference in FT shooting and it wasn't the refs.

Yes you did...more or less. "Blame Fran" is in the title of this thread. I consider blame Fran and Fran blew it to be synonymous in this scenario. Take your trolling elsewhere. I'm done with your nonsense. Wait. What? I can't hear you...talking out of the other side of your mouth again.

"blame Fran some" is in response to the FT discrepancy based on gameplanning.....not blaming Fran for the loss or anything else.

Quit being a "know it all" and allow other people to have opinions about the game.

Everyone in this thread:

U_Mad2.jpg

Unless we are in transition "soft to the hoop" is all we have. The half court game is our weakness. I actually think it's part of the reason why Fran seldom uses time outs at times when it seems like most other coaches would. I think he is reluctant to give the opponent a chance to set up and reduce the tempo of play.

The only thing I didn't understand that Fran did was in the 2nd half, he took Marble out with 12:50 left. I assumed he took him out to get a quick rest with the 12 min timeout coming up. So after the 12 timeout, out comes Jok instead of Marble which I was puzzled by and Jok went and turned it over right after that timeout and gave away a possession. Fran immediately puts Marble in for him. Just not sure why Marble wasn't in to begin with as he took him out for that purpose I believe. Marble would have had the ball instead of Jok. Nit picky, but just think Fran forgot to put him back in.

Only problem I had defensively was the amount of "and 1" attempts the Clones had. We have to be more physical and if we are going to foul then foul them hard enough to keep them from making the basket also.

I was at the game, and can honestly say when Gessel was shooting his second free throw that it was the loudest I have ever heard an arena by far. I have been to several games at Allen Fieldhouse to compare. My ears seriously hurt. Really hard for me to harp on Gessel much.. Marble is the one that needed to hit the FTs, he is our senior and go to guy.
I still believe not getting the students around the court after the Carver reno was the dumbest thing Barta has done. The students at ISU were much more in to the game, had organized chants etc. and made a difference in the game at the end.

Gesell attacked the hoop with 13 seconds left resulting in a foul didn't he? Damn you Fran!

The coaching staff did a great job. The players came to win in a hostile environment. If there is anyone to blame it is the officials. Iowa didn't get a fair shake by the officials. I know think they were trying to be biased, but that's just part of the game of basketball.

The only thing I didn't understand that Fran did was in the 2nd half, he took Marble out with 12:50 left. I assumed he took him out to get a quick rest with the 12 min timeout coming up. So after the 12 timeout, out comes Jok instead of Marble which I was puzzled by and Jok went and turned it over right after that timeout and gave away a possession. Fran immediately puts Marble in for him. Just not sure why Marble wasn't in to begin with as he took him out for that purpose I believe. Marble would have had the ball instead of Jok. Nit picky, but just think Fran forgot to put him back in.

Only problem I had defensively was the amount of "and 1" attempts the Clones had. We have to be more physical and if we are going to foul then foul them hard enough to keep them from making the basket also.

I was at the game, and can honestly say when Gessel was shooting his second free throw that it was the loudest I have ever heard an arena by far. I have been to several games at Allen Fieldhouse to compare. My ears seriously hurt. Really hard for me to harp on Gessel much.. Marble is the one that needed to hit the FTs, he is our senior and go to guy.
I still believe not getting the students around the court after the Carver reno was the dumbest thing Barta has done. The students at ISU were much more in to the game, had organized chants etc. and made a difference in the game at the end.

I obviously don't know this for a fact but suspect Fran was planning to play Marble the rest of the game whenever he went back on the floor. I think he intended to leave him on the bench...probably for as long as he could. That didn't turn out to be very long. I think it was probably a good coaching move to get him right back out there before things got away from us.

I also think we've been better about the "and 1" fouls this year. I honestly think our guys were surprised by some of the calls and they didn't have time to react and make sure the shot didn't have a chance. If a player doesn't think they fouled they are looking at the referee to see if there was a travel, a foul off the ball, etc. The official is pointing at said player and he's shocked...just my best guess based on the expressions a couple of the guys had after the calls.

Last edited:
The coaching staff did a great job. The players came to win in a hostile environment. If there is anyone to blame it is the officials. Iowa didn't get a fair shake by the officials. I know think they were trying to be biased, but that's just part of the game of basketball.

Getting more calls on the road especially in a very loud arena, than the home team, is not going to happen in college ball.
Wisconsin is going to get more calls than Iowa in Madison, it probably will be a fairly big margin. Plan for it, its gonna happen.

I think the only other thing Fran could have done was pipe in jet aircraft engine noise during their practice. Do think the crowd was its loudest the last couple of minutes, and nobody on the team will admit it, but it had an effect. Many on this board have played sports, and there are games you hit somebody with everything you have, and they are still right there, and you ask yourself what else do we need to do? It can be mentally taxing knowing that a couple of mistakes can cost you. Add 14,000 people screaming against you just adds to the pressure. Playing from behind is sometimes easier than playing with the lead, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

I think everything in your post was pretty spot-on, except the bolded part. They're called free throws for a reason, and he's not a Freshman anymore. He needs to make at least one of those.

I totally agree about all of the and-1 attempts. If you're going to foul them, make sure that they don't make the freaking shot. Make it worth it and make them earn it. Gesell is terrible at this. He gives up a lot of and-1's.

Leaving Marble out and Jok in is pretty puzzling too. Maybe Marble was just that gassed? That's one of the only criticisms I have of Fran from the game.

Getting more calls on the road especially in a very loud arena, than the home team, is not going to happen in college ball.
Wisconsin is going to get more calls than Iowa in Madison, it probably will be a fairly big margin. Plan for it, its gonna happen.

I think the only other thing Fran could have done was pipe in jet aircraft engine noise during their practice. Do think the crowd was its loudest the last couple of minutes, and nobody on the team will admit it, but it had an effect. Many on this board have played sports, and there are games you hit somebody with everything you have, and they are still right there, and you ask yourself what else do we need to do? It can be mentally taxing knowing that a couple of mistakes can cost you. Add 14,000 people screaming against you just adds to the pressure. Playing from behind is sometimes easier than playing with the lead, if that makes any sense.

You mean that they'll basically get to rape our players while the new emphasis on not allowing hand-checking and a whole bunch of contact is thrown out the window? Or when we play MSU? No way... I don't buy it!

I obviously don't know this for a fact but suspect Fran was planning to play Marble the rest of the game whenever he went back on the floor. I think he intended to leave him on the bench...probably for as long as he could. That didn't turn out to be very long. I think it was probably a good coaching move to get him right back out there before things got away from us.

I also think we've been better about the "and 1" fouls this year. I honestly think our guys were surprised by some of the calls and they didn't have time to react and make sure the shot didn't have a chance. If a player doesn't think they fouled they are looking at the referee to see if there was a travel, a foul of the ball, etc. The official is pointing at said player and he's shocked...just my best guess based on the expressions a couple of the guys had after the calls.

Yep could be right. Seems like there were a few times we just needed to hack hard though. Gessel seems to do this often in games.

Been seeing a lot of people giving White a hard time about the rebound he lost late. People do realize he got absolutely raked across the arms right? To me it was one of the most obvious foul calls of the night that was missed.
Also a huge play that hasn't been brought up, perhaps more important than the free throws was Marble missing the easiest layup you can get off an in bounds play. Just flat out shanked it. Cannot miss those easy chances in a game you know is gonna go down to the wire.

Latest posts