Gesell needs to create and look for shots get more of Oglesby's minutes

uihawk82

I am of the opinion that Mike Gesell, especially when playing the off guard while Clemmons is at point, needs to look to take more shots. He impresses me with his ability to see a lane to drive to the hoop or with his ability to catch, drive, and get off a jumper.

I think he needs to do this more and this will balance out the offensive end of the floor.

The hawks come out in each game running the offense with passes, penetration, and screens and it works great.

Who thinks Gesell needs to have more of oglesby's wing minutes.

Fran needs to set some guys down when they start doing that and find his 8 players who will run the offense and not turn it over so much.

Gesell needs to stop airing passes over guys' heads into the stands. He needs to calm down and quit forcing things.

For MG to create shots he needs more screens. That is lacking.

Gesell hits enough long jumpers to make a shot fake, draw the defender, and move to get off his own shot. I have seen him do it plenty this year.

And yes the hawks need to use more screens, they seem to early in games then abandone it.

This team is lacking identity. Other than Marble who can score? The freshman are weak and get exploited by the more older and more athletic teams we play against. I say keep playing 8,9 & 10 guys to figure out who can get the job done.

Gesell needs to stop airing passes over guys' heads into the stands. He needs to calm down and quit forcing things.

And making weak-*** telegraphed passes. He's a fr and will learn, but those killed us last night. Same with AC. Playing a team like MSU shows how physically weak we are. We don't have anyone that can bang inside. I think Woody will be that guy next year and until he graduates, but we really needed a physical presence in the lane this year.

This team is lacking identity. Other than Marble who can score? The freshman are weak and get exploited by the more older and more athletic teams we play against. I say keep playing 8,9 & 10 guys to figure out who can get the job done.

I agree. Starting 2 freshman guards in the Big Ten this year is going to be tough. They will be better players because of it but some of their decisions are maddening. Gesell had 3 terrible turnovers that I can think of where it lead directly to a dunk for MSU. Two of them should have been Iowa getting an easy 2pts and instead it went the other way for 2.

It's one thing to want to push the pace and try and get easy baskets, but it has to be under control....clemmons and gesell were out of control at times.

I agree. Starting 2 freshman guards in the Big Ten this year is going to be tough. They will be better players because of it but some of their decisions are maddening. Gesell had 3 terrible turnovers that I can think of where it lead directly to a dunk for MSU. Two of them should have been Iowa getting an easy 2pts and instead it went the other way for 2.

It's one thing to want to push the pace and try and get easy baskets, but it has to be under control....clemmons and gesell were out of control at times.

That goes for White too. He'd be much more valuable to the team if he was able to develop a 10-15ft jumper, instead of putting your head down and barreling to the basket. He was stripped at least 4 times driving to the hoop last night on what looked the same move over and over and over. It was extremely frustrating to watch. I'm sure he felt some pressure to score more with Devyn out, but that was hard to watch. He needs to expand his game as opposing teams have him figured out and are able to take him out of his game seemingly very easily.

And making weak-*** telegraphed passes. He's a fr and will learn, but those killed us last night. Same with AC. Playing a team like MSU shows how physically weak we are. We don't have anyone that can bang inside. I think Woody will be that guy next year and until he graduates, but we really needed a physical presence in the lane this year.

Freshman who were high school all stars are used to being able to have their way on the court. Now they find themselves playing against other all stars who are college juniors and seniors. They cant make these plays so easily now so yes they will learn and get better.

I think Fran has two really good guards here and if Fran can recruit players that can beat them out the so much better.

Is it lack of screens, or lack of doing a better job of rubbing off of screens. Probably both. I see a lot of times the players sort of rounding off their turns around screens, which allows the defender room to either get over the top or time to recover when going underneath.

Mike's averaging 9 ppg and over 3 assists with only 16 games under his belt. Yes he has a lot to work on, but most freshmen do. He'll be fine, Iowa Basketball will be fine.

Perhaps. But whatever minutes ogles by gets I would tell him his job is to hot threes and not much else. One job for this guy. When he tries other things offensively he is a liability.

Iowa is a physically weak team, starts two freshman guards that don't make great decisions, can't hit 3-pt shots, doesn't have a low post and isn't athletic.

For all the Hawks can't do, they have lost two conference games at home by 7 points, one to a final four contender and one to a team that could make the Sweet 16.

My only real gripe about this team is that on the offensive end when they go in droughts, it seems they just don't move and any screens are weak. Iowa still loses their composure at times and that isn't because of youth, it is mental toughness.

When this team doesn't force things and plays within the offensive system like the staff wants, they look good. When Iowa stands around making 5-ft passes and dribbling on the perimeter while everyone watches the dribbler, you have 20 minute droughts.

What this team has done this year is improve on the defensive side and that is going to play dividends down the road, including this season. Iowa still needs an identity, not just from one player, but as a team. They showed that Marble is not their team, is he a quality player, yes, but not the end all to Iowa's success.

Iowa has to figure out what they do best and do it. Iowa is still struggling at taking good shots that don't allow teams to get out in transition. Iowa used to run a curl play that got Gatens open from about 15-ft, it seems to me that Marble/Gesell would be excellent at this. White can't take every guy off the dribble, but he has shown an ability to make a 10-ft jump shot, so get him going on that and then the pump fake and drive becomes effective.

I am not questioning the staff here, the players do what they do in each situation on the floor, if they can't maximize what they do best within the offense it is the players failure. By doing things that aren't what you do best is forcing something that isn't there. The players have to start recognizing what the defense is giving them.
For example, McCabe hit a three early, MSU started to run at him, he pump faked and drove a more than one time. Earlier in the year, he would have just kept shooting the 3-pt shot, it is all about recognition and taking advantage of what the defense is doing. Experience has nothing to do with it either, quit making that excuse for bad basketball at times. There are no freshman mistakes, only mistakes.

Iowa is a physically weak team, starts two freshman guards that don't make great decisions, can't hit 3-pt shots, doesn't have a low post and isn't athletic.

For example, McCabe hit a three early, MSU started to run at him, he pump faked and drove a more than one time. Earlier in the year, he would have just kept shooting the 3-pt shot, it is all about recognition and taking advantage of what the defense is doing. Experience has nothing to do with it either, quit making that excuse for bad basketball at times. There are no freshman mistakes, only mistakes.

Very good reply. The point about trying to get players the 10-15 footer off a screen is big.

Iowa basketball is just going to keep getting better.

Very good reply. The point about trying to get players the 10-15 footer off a screen is big.

Iowa basketball is just going to keep getting better.

It is a combination of talent and coaching, Iowa has a mix of both, but still a little short on talent.

Is it lack of screens, or lack of doing a better job of rubbing off of screens. Probably both. I see a lot of times the players sort of rounding off their turns around screens, which allows the defender room to either get over the top or time to recover when going underneath.

Agreed. The ability to set up the screen is a lost art. Too many players today rely on their quickness and athleticism to get open off screens instead of actually setting up the screen so that the screener doesn't have to move or lean in order to rub off the defensive player. It creates fouls for us that are completely unnecessary. The best coached teams I ever saw with the players setting up the screens were always Bob Knight coached teams. Those players cutting off screens knew exactly how to use them and get open. You just don't see it today.

What this team has done this year is improve on the defensive side and that is going to play dividends down the road, including this season. Iowa still needs an identity, not just from one player, but as a team. They showed that Marble is not their team, is he a quality player, yes, but not the end all to Iowa's success.

Actually, at the end of the game we saw a lot of players unwilling to be "the man". While Marble has his faults he is our go-to guy. He has the ball in his hands as the shot clock runs down. He has the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. He has the ball in his hands to try to break up the drought. I think that he tries to do too much 1-on-1, but he does not shy away from these situations. I truly believe that if Marble was in the game we score down the stretch because 1) he's money on the line, 2) we don't go into droughts as long as we did, 3) he can create his own shot.

Actually, at the end of the game we saw a lot of players unwilling to be "the man". While Marble has his faults he is our go-to guy. He has the ball in his hands as the shot clock runs down. He has the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. He has the ball in his hands to try to break up the drought. I think that he tries to do too much 1-on-1, but he does not shy away from these situations. I truly believe that if Marble was in the game we score down the stretch because 1) he's money on the line, 2) we don't go into droughts as long as we did, 3) he can create his own shot.

1. Agree
2. Iowa has had plenty of droughts w/Marble this season
3. Not against physical defenders, like the whole Iowa roster

I stick by to what I said, he is a good player, but not the determining factor of Iowa winning or losing. Iowa has to win as a team and not force things. My one and only knock on Marble is that he does force things when he doesn't have to, not that I discredit him for trying, just a recognition factor.

There are a lot of things Iowa does well on offense, but they don't force the issue with those things and I still feel it is a reflection of the players recognizing what they do consistently well, individually and as a team.

It wasn't a dis at Marble either, it was good to see Iowa compete at a high level without him. Iowa didn't lose because he didn't play, they lost because they made some real bonehead mistakes and it isn't like weren't making those mistakes with him because they were.

Latest posts