Garza B1G Freshman of the Week

RobHowe

Administrator
From UI:

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa forward Luka Garza was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week, it was announced Tuesday by the conference office.

Garza (6-foot-11, 235 pounds) led Iowa to its season-best fifth straight win in a convincing 98-75 triumph over Northern Illinois on Dec. 29, in Iowa City.

Garza posted personal bests in scoring (25), 3-pointers made (3), and blocked shots (5), while also grabbing a game-best seven rebounds in only 16 minutes of action. The native of Washington, D.C., made all eight of his field goal attempts, including all three 3-pointers, and was 6-of-8 from the foul line.

Tuesday marked the second time this season that Garza earned the Big Ten weekly freshman accolade (Nov. 13).

From UI:

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa forward Luka Garza was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week, it was announced Tuesday by the conference office.

Garza (6-foot-11, 235 pounds) led Iowa to its season-best fifth straight win in a convincing 98-75 triumph over Northern Illinois on Dec. 29, in Iowa City.

Garza posted personal bests in scoring (25), 3-pointers made (3), and blocked shots (5), while also grabbing a game-best seven rebounds in only 16 minutes of action. The native of Washington, D.C., made all eight of his field goal attempts, including all three 3-pointers, and was 6-of-8 from the foul line.

Tuesday marked the second time this season that Garza earned the Big Ten weekly freshman accolade (Nov. 13).

I'll take Rob's word any day over most ...but the BT Hoops dealie said it was his first. FWIW

Someone needs to be stepping up. He's got potential but big guys can be sporadic early on. The more big games he has the more confidence he'll have. I love his game. No fear or hesitation to his game at all. Wait till he just gets more of a feel for playing down low against guys his size. He's probably used to playing against 6'6 guys more then guys closer to him. In 2 or 3 years he outta be an animal.

Someone needs to be stepping up. He's got potential but big guys can be sporadic early on. The more big games he has the more confidence he'll have. I love his game. No fear or hesitation to his game at all. Wait till he just gets more of a feel for playing down low against guys his size. He's probably used to playing against 6'6 guys more then guys closer to him. In 2 or 3 years he outta be an animal.

He seems really "jacked" up for games... or is that just me? Like fist pumping, flexing and strutting and walking around like he's ready to take someone's head off.

He seems really "jacked" up for games... or is that just me? Like fist pumping, flexing and strutting and walking around like he's ready to take someone's head off.

Agreed and I love the fire, excitement and passion but I thought there were a couple games that his emotions got the best of him and a couple situations that he was flirting with a T and officials had to talk to him.

I think that's just part of the maturity process but hopefully he can maintain that energy and passion and play hard but also not loose his cool either.

I agree, he's gotta learn to play in control and hype it down, but you gotta love that he is coming into things with that type of intensity.

I'd be ok if the team just started flexing after every big play. It's kind of their mantra right now.

I think (at least so far) he is pretty controlled with it. He hasn't been given a T or had opposing players come back at him. I think he's playing fired up the right way so far anyway. I'm sure he may be annoying to some opponents but annoying is just fine. He hasn't crossed any lines yet I don't think

I think (at least so far) he is pretty controlled with it. He hasn't been given a T or had opposing players come back at him. I think he's playing fired up the right way so far anyway. I'm sure he may be annoying to some opponents but annoying is just fine. He hasn't crossed any lines yet I don't think

There was one game that he came pretty close to crossing a line and had to get warned by officials after clapping in an opponents face. I want to say it was the ISU game.

Other than that he's been fine. He certainly seems comfortable coming off the bench and has handled that transition quite nicely but that transition also happened at a time that the competition level dropped so it's hard to say if it's coming off the bench or drop in competition that's resulted in the uptick in his productivity.

Latest posts