Gary Anderson: The Hire

Chuggers will argue that Wisconsin has some inherent recruiting advantage over Iowa, they don't. Anyway do you guys think a side from their vast superiority over the last 5 years over Iowa, they will continue to have that disparity in another 5 years? Do you think Gary Anderson is just riding coattails right now or do you think he is as good if not better than Bielema? They rolled Indiana today.

Knowing they have no advantage over us makes it a much more bitter pill to swallow than O$U and scUM.

Their recruiting advantage is recent success and rose bowls.

It's hard to tell how long or how far Anderson can take the momentum but at this point it's hard not to be a believer. He lead his team to overcome the debacle that was the ASU game.

Chuggers will argue that Wisconsin has some inherent recruiting advantage over Iowa, they don't. Anyway do you guys think a side from their vast superiority over the last 5 years over Iowa, they will continue to have that disparity in another 5 years? Do you think Gary Anderson is just riding coattails right now or do you think he is as good if not better than Bielema? They rolled Indiana today.

Knowing they have no advantage over us makes it a much more bitter pill to swallow than O$U and scUM.

Too early to say. Remember before the season we were all told that Hoke was teh awesomeness, and O'Brien was da Boom, and Pat Fitzgerald and jNW was going to dominate the division......

Bigger population and only one FBS program. Of course they have an advantage. That said, I think Biels is a pretty good recruiter and I'm not sure Andersen will be quite as good in that department.

Bielema got the guys in, Anderson can coach. Only time will tell if he is able to successfully replace his players.

Watching them and MSU today is frustrating. They show that you can play "punch 'em in the mouth" type football without punting on the 33 yard line. Granted, they have much more talent than we do this year, but that is also a beef with the current coaching. Maybe we will turn it around, but I think the fact that Ferentz has the memory of an elephant as well as the tendency to shy away from making decisions that didn't work out in the 1st quarter of some game in 2001, I have my doubts.

Anderson is going to get Wisconsin to the highest level they've ever been. He can coach, and he'll be able to recruit on par with what Bielema did. Anderson has twice the work ethic of Bielema though. The guy lives and breathes football without the off field distractions. Wisconsin hit a home run.

Anderson is going to get Wisconsin to the highest level they've ever been. He can coach, and he'll be able to recruit on par with what Bielema did. Anderson has twice the work ethic of Bielema though. The guy lives and breathes football without the off field distractions. Wisconsin hit a home run.

Everything we don't get from Kirk??? Keeping in-state recruits at home, no off the field troubles/players being kicked off the team, more than a 40 hour work week, great gameday coaching/in-game adjustments/clock management.

Everything we don't get from Kirk??? Keeping in-state recruits at home, no off the field troubles/players being kicked off the team, more than a 40 hour work week, great gameday coaching/in-game adjustments/clock management.

I bet Kirk Ferentz works just as hard as Anderson. Kirk has done a decent job keeping most in-state recruits at home. The difference I think Anderson will provide is on offense. He's already proven defensively with what he did at Utah under Urban Meyer and then they consistently had top rushing defenses at Utah State. They're going to play tough, fundamental, sound defense, but on offense they're going to use a nice blend of deception and power to run the ball down people's throats, and then they'll use the screen plays nicely. Much less predictable than Iowa's schemes. Much more efficient than Iowa's schemes.

Thread has nothing to do with Kirk: there are plenty that are so if that is your intention go in one of those threads.

I'm so frickin tired of every thread turning into a ferentz debate or a cyclone debate.

If there isn't a rule I suggest Jon impose one to keep threads on topic. We have an entire rivalry forum and plenty of threads to debate Kirk.

So I guess the irony is me posting this in a thread about Anderson but I needed this post as a prime example.

Thread has nothing to do with Kirk: there are plenty that are so if that is your intention go in one of those threads.

I'm so frickin tired of every thread turning into a ferentz debate or a cyclone debate.

If there isn't a rule I suggest Jon impose one to keep threads on topic. We have an entire rivalry forum and plenty of threads to debate Kirk.

So I guess the irony is me posting this in a thread about Anderson but I needed this post as a prime example.

That's fine. I'm willing to wager Wisconsin has a 20% better record than Iowa over the next 5 years. Any takers?

I think there is a good chance that Wisky and Anderson will be successful as long as they continue to play Barry ball. What we also know is a coach can look like a world beater for a season or two with someone else's players. Let's see where things are at 2-3 years from now.

The side note is an awesome running game thrashes the fancy spread ball that Indiana tries to amaze everyone with. Hey Kevin Wilson how did you like that 550 yards on the ground?

BB was a good recruiter while at Iowa and while at Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see if GA can keep getting those mid level recruits who tend to do very well at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin has over 2.5 million more people than Iowa. They do have an advantage over us. The better in state talent you have the easier recruiting is.

Their recruiting advantage is recent success and rose bowls.

It's hard to tell how long or how far Anderson can take the momentum but at this point it's hard not to be a believer. He lead his team to overcome the debacle that was the ASU game.

Something Kirk couldn't do in 2010 with his own players.

I haven't seen anything special from Anderson yet. Their offensive success is almost entirely based off of BB's schemes and players. Wisconsin is good mainly because of Abbrederis, White, Gordon, and Borland; not really because of any special coaching prowess. The defensive scheme is new, and may be an improvement over recent years--I'll give him that.

I have seen a fair amount of head scratching game management decisions/breakdowns and confusion from the sidelines of WI this year. A number of illegal formation penalties, 12 men on the field situations, weird clock management and strangely placed timeouts. The ASU debacle was made possible, in part, by the need to burn a timeout because of 12 men on the field (has happened multiple times to WI this season). The weird approach to taking a knee and spiking gave the incompetent Pac12 officials one more thing to be confused about.

I'll reserve judgment on Anderson until we get a more meaningful sample of his coaching. Also, the crush that a portion of our fanbase has on the WI program is disgusting. Have some of you no shame at all?

Their success is because of their AD...he controls what he wants out of the football program. I for one don't think that is a bad thing at all.