Game Wrap, Box Score, Photos, Interviews: Iowa Routs Alabama St.

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa improved to 2-0 with a dominant 92-58 win against Alabama St. Sunday. Here's the game wrap, box score, postgame interviews and photo gallery:

LINK

Pemsl killed our percentage single handedly this game tho. Then Uhl missing 2 meaningless ones at the end made it worse than it really was. The only really bad one is Wagner. He almost has to get lucky 5o make them.

I thought Dailey looked good in the little bit of the game that I saw. Along with Ellingson moving the ball well.

Not many successful teams shoot a low FT percentage...opposite is true statistically...with some exceptions.

FTs were bad yes. But look who missed. Uhl- not going to play when it matters. Wagner- I’m sorry, even if he’s starting now, I just can’t see him playing more than Baer or Nunge at the 3 come B1G time. And the bigs in general, we have enough depth that FT% will limit your time on the floor, particularly at the end of games. Remember how Olaseni was played over the starter Woody at the end of games because he was the better FT shooter. There are a lot of options now for that. A big on this team will get better at FTs or they just won’t play that much, particularly at games’ ends.

Pemsl killed our percentage single handedly this game tho. Then Uhl missing 2 meaningless ones at the end made it worse than it really was. The only really bad one is Wagner. He almost has to get lucky 5o make them.

Pemsl is the one I'm most concerned about. He is so good underneath the basket that he is going to draw a lot of fouls. He's also someone I'd want in the game at the end. I was hoping he'd work on his free throws during the off season.

FT % skewed a bit for this game with CM and Baer out, guys who will be playing, and good FT shooters...

Nice problem to have so many options to plug and play this year...what Fran ball needs to hit on all cylinders...fast paced, wearing out the opponents with waves of similar players.

Agree on Pemsl...he is a foul drawing machine...make them bro!

FT % skewed a bit for this game with CM and Baer out, guys who will be playing, and good FT shooters...

Nice problem to have so many options to plug and play this year...what Fran ball needs to hit on all cylinders...fast paced, wearing out the opponents with waves of similar players.

Agree on Pemsl...he is a foul drawing machine...make them bro!

Since when has Baer been a good FT shooter? He's 63% so far in his fresh/soph seasons. Plus he doesn't draw a ton of fouls and I'm not sure CM will either. The ones underneath the basket like Pemsl, Cook, and Garza will be drawing the bulk of the fouls and get the most FT opportunities. They have accounted for 31 out of 67 team free throw attempts so far and I'd wager we'll see them getting a higher percentage of the attempts as they start seeing more minutes (less scrubs).

Agree that Pemsl’s FT shooting (36%- 4/11) has to get better. But Garza and Cook are going to shoot more this year.

Pemsl is the one I'm most concerned about. He is so good underneath the basket that he is going to draw a lot of fouls. He's also someone I'd want in the game at the end. I was hoping he'd work on his free throws during the off season.

I hope it's a case of him working hard at improving, then putting too much pressure on himself when the games finally started.

Baer, in my memory, makes the free throws that matter...end of the game, close game. FT % is irrelevant, for games vs Chico State, Alabama State etc where Iowa could go 0-40 at the line and still win the game...1/2 of the schedule perhaps.

It isn't how many, but when...

We have a poor sample so far with Nunge and Garza but reportedly both can make free throws...this will continue...

Pemsl and Cook are problematic...a history of missing many of them, with poor shooting technique...although I haven't seen their stroke so far this year.

MG, for example, wasn't a bad FT shooter...but was a terrible shooter when it mattered, for the most part. This has been a problem for Iowa for a long time...needs to be fixed if a move up will happen.

Perhaps with such a big lead, Garza, etc. just aren't paying attention to the FT line...enough.

My two cents...

Baer, in my memory, makes the free throws that matter...end of the game, close game. FT % is irrelevant, for games vs Chico State, Alabama State etc where Iowa could go 0-40 at the line and still win the game...1/2 of the schedule perhaps.

Baer has only made 37 free throws of 59 in two years, and the only games where he made more than 3 were Stetson, Kennesaw State, and ISU last year (which wasn't close). He's hit some big 3s and big defensive plays, but I'm not sure he's even had to shoot a clutch free throw yet in his career.

OK...if the game is on the line...I would take him...he's a gamer.

Don't know all the stats, but if you make 1 free throw in some games at the end, well, that is a big one...the pressure one for a W...

He is a decent FT shooter...but an excellent competitor and team player...doing lots of non stat things...

It isn't how many, but when...

We have a poor sample so far with Nunge and Garza but reportedly both can make free throws...this will continue...

Pemsl and Cook are problematic...a history of missing many of them, with poor shooting technique...although I haven't seen their stroke so far this year.

MG, for example, wasn't a bad FT shooter...but was a terrible shooter when it mattered, for the most part. This has been a problem for Iowa for a long time...needs to be fixed if a move up will happen.

Perhaps with such a big lead, Garza, etc. just aren't paying attention to the FT line...enough.

My two cents...

I think your memory is failing you on Baer. He hasn't been a good free throw shooter and I can't recall a single time he was on the line making free throws at the end of a close game. He doesn't draw many fouls and get to the line very much, perhaps it will change this year.

With Moss, CM, Nunge, etc...Baer could be seeing less minutes this year...which could be good for the team and for him...he can percolate at a high rate and rest more often, since he seems to tire. He seems to be content with such a role which is a blessing for this team, and do it without pouting.