Game Wrap, Box Score, Photos, Interviews: Iowa Outlasts Grambling

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa overcame a pesky Grambling State squad Thursday night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Here's the game wrap, box score, photos and interviews:

LINK

The Hawkeye performance was not inspiring. Good shooting teams are gonna tear up that zone. The rebounding difficulties took me by surprise.

A lot will need to be better to not get run out of the gym by CIN. A lot has been said about Iowa’s depth but they don’t have that depth at guard and losing CW then having CMac out and missing Baer until the B1G season are really hurting not just the ball handling and backup pg spot but also overall D.

The Hawkeye performance was not inspiring. Good shooting teams are gonna tear up that zone. The rebounding difficulties took me by surprise.
Yeah their guards could do whatever they wanted as far as driving goes. It's a good thing they got cold and Iowa started rebounding towards the end better. That 5-7 min stretch from the start of the 2nd half was worrisome. Was a pretty boring game to watch overall. They need to play someone that matters to get the intensity up. They are playing with little urgency out there which surprises me. You'd think with all the PT being split up guys would be all in with effort and intensity. I didn't see that out there which bums me out. That's gotta change

Along with others have already mentioned, I also think the passing was very lazy last night. At one point, Garza tried to through down low to Cook who was doubled teamed. Another time, Pemsel tried to thread a needle to Garza (I think) and it was intercepted by Grambling State. A couple of passes from Ellingson seemed weak as well. The prior games, passing was on point. This game it took a few steps back.

A lot will need to be better to not get run out of the gym by CIN. A lot has been said about Iowa’s depth but they don’t have that depth at guard and losing CW then having CMac out and missing Baer until the B1G season are really hurting not just the ball handling and backup pg spot but also overall D.
From the glass half full perspective...I can't wait to see Cincy try to deal with our quality front court depth playing their 3rd game in 3 days.

Along with others have already mentioned, I also think the passing was very lazy last night. At one point, Garza tried to through down low to Cook who was doubled teamed. Another time, Pemsel tried to thread a needle to Garza (I think) and it was intercepted by Grambling State. A couple of passes from Ellingson seemed weak as well. The prior games, passing was on point. This game it took a few steps back.

The media all wrote about the big's great passing all week so I wonder if that got in their head some and they all tried to be Pistol Pete out there.

Latest posts