Game Story: Rebraca, Sandfort Lead Iowa Basketball

Second game in a row where Iowa wins a game with a very balanced attack with contributions from different sources. If Iowa can continue to have different guys step up every night to compliment Kris' 20 points a night, this team will be a tough out.

Defend Carver and sneak a road win at Minny and we have a winning record in conference and will be dancing. Sneak another road game and we could be sniffing a double bye given how stacked up the standings are. Keep it going.

Also noticed no minutes for Bowen. It seems that Uhlis' appreciable improvement the last few games, along with Dix's productivity at the PG have squeezed his minutes. It is odd to see Fran go with an 8-man rotation, but I think he is doing the best he can with what he has. It is tough playing Kris and others for so many minutes, but we are pretty thin at the post and the starting guards are playing so well you want to leave them out there. Hopefully these boys still have some legs left in March!

I thought early that Bowen showed flashes of great things to come....but he has also has some WTF moments. He is a freshman after all. Sandfort was just an absolute freak last night.......grinning from ear to ear when he was throwing up those crazy 3's.......his "6 point play (thank you Chris Collins)" was one of the best moments of the year............

As long as Sanford plays within himself and waits for good shots, he is one hell of a weapon off the bench. Its nice to have several guys coming off the bench that could put 20 up on any given night.

I also love what I see out of Dix. The way Uhlis is playing though, its hard to find him minutes.

Second game in a row where Iowa wins a game with a very balanced attack with contributions from different sources. If Iowa can continue to have different guys step up every night to compliment Kris' 20 points a night, this team will be a tough out.

Defend Carver and sneak a road win at Minny and we have a winning record in conference and will be dancing. Sneak another road game and we could be sniffing a double bye given how stacked up the standings are. Keep it going.
I totally agree. It's encouraging. They are starting (maybe) to have some good balance and chemistry. I really enjoy watching this team.

Teams really want to take Murray out of the game, and last night, when doubled, Iowa made NW pay. Love to see that. Also love to see the defensive intensity when things get rough.

That was a good team that Iowa beat last night. Great conference win. Now let's get the Illin-noise.

Top to bottom, I think this is the best defensive unit Fran has said since the Woodbury years. Maybe ever.

Yes they tend to give up a lot of points and have trouble closing out on shooters, but man, when you score 85 points yourself, the other team has to try and keep up.

If the guard plays continues to get better, I like our chances to make a run.

Also noticed no minutes for Bowen. It seems that Uhlis' appreciable improvement the last few games, along with Dix's productivity at the PG have squeezed his minutes. It is odd to see Fran go with an 8-man rotation, but I think he is doing the best he can with what he has. It is tough playing Kris and others for so many minutes, but we are pretty thin at the post and the starting guards are playing so well you want to leave them out there. Hopefully these boys still have some legs left in March!
Bowen's lack of playing time has also coincided with Patrick's return. I know they aren't the same position but Perkins slid into the point guard role last night as well as Dix. Bowen's career may end up on a similar path to Ulis's, limited time as a freshman that will increase with each year. He still has a bright future here (as long as he stays, which is increasingly unknown in today's environment).

Top to bottom, I think this is the best defensive unit Fran has said since the Woodbury years. Maybe ever.

Yes they tend to give up a lot of points and have trouble closing out on shooters, but man, when you score 85 points yourself, the other team has to try and keep up.

If the guard plays continues to get better, I like our chances to make a run.
Middle paragraph is stunningly spot on. You could see it as soon as we got up by five or six. Northwestern started quick shooting, not working for a good shot.

When you quick shoot, your usually not in position to rebound, which only compounds your woes. And we were controlling the defensive glass at that
stage, Connor's unfortunate undercut call not withstanding (hey why don't they call that on Wisconsin once in a while)

The fear of keeping up with our offense affected Northwestern's own offense last night. You could see it plain as day. Perhaps Rutgers on Sunday as well.

Great catch North!

I thought early that Bowen showed flashes of great things to come....but he has also has some WTF moments. He is a freshman after all. Sandfort was just an absolute freak last night.......grinning from ear to ear when he was throwing up those crazy 3's.......his "6 point play (thank you Chris Collins)" was one of the best moments of the year............
Yeah, Bowen is a work in progress. I think we will be happy to have him down the road. We have seen that movie before.

Most balanced offensive and defensive game I've seen this year. Yes, fun to watch. Great to see Kris shoot himself out of that like 1 for 12 thing as well, and see Rebraca come out of his mini scoring slump as well. Hoping I can make a game at Carver yet, but tickets are tight at every game it seems. Been to a girls game, going to wrestling meet i.e. Mich, need a men's bball game as well.

Most balanced offensive and defensive game I've seen this year. Yes, fun to watch. Great to see Kris shoot himself out of that like 1 for 12 thing as well, and see Rebraca come out of his mini scoring slump as well. Hoping I can make a game at Carver yet, but tickets are tight at every game it seems. Been to a girls game, going to wrestling meet i.e. Mich, need a men's bball game as well.
You might want to contact the Orange Krush.....rumor has it that they may have a lead on 200 extra tickets...........

Rebraca is not only coming on, he's playing the role Jack Nunge would have played, making losing Nunge less painful.

BTW, Jack had 23 and 14 last night. I've got this eerie feeling that when we make the dance, and it isn't question of if, that we're going to run into Xavier at some point.

Losing Nunge was a big talent loss, but the way Filip is playing right now, I am good. He runs the court better and is a more fiery leader, and Iowa needs that with some of the other guys being a bit more quiet. Plus, if Nunge would have stayed at Iowa he would have blown his knees two more times. Kid was snake bit here. Glad he is doing well at Xavier (except when he plays Creighton or Iowa)

Latest posts