Game Story: Hawkeyes Stun No. 1 South Carolina

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley subtly suggested that maybe the game could have been more closely called.
“It’s just hard to … it's hard for her to move,” Staley said. “I think it's hard for … it's hard to officiate the way the game was played. It's just hard to officiate.”

Seriously?

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley subtly suggested that maybe the game could have been more closely called.
“It’s just hard to … it's hard for her to move,” Staley said. “I think it's hard for … it's hard to officiate the way the game was played. It's just hard to officiate.”

Seriously?
Officials were letting both teams play...

If she was referring to Boston and how hard it was for her to move, think of how hard it was for the smaller Iowa players to get to their spots on offense.

If they called it closer SC wouldn't have had enough players left to finish the game. Staley thought she could just roll the ball out there and we would eventually wear down like everyone else they had played.

Staley thought wrong. Not to mention she got the pants coached off her by Bluder and her staff.

In terms of NCAA parallels, this was the equivalent of the Duke men knocking off undefeated and defending champions UNLV in 1991 national semifinals.

As for Iowa significance, I won't argue anyone who says this was our biggest win ever in any sport.

If she was referring to Boston and how hard it was for her to move, think of how hard it was for the smaller Iowa players to get to their spots on offense.

If they called it closer SC wouldn't have had enough players left to finish the game. Staley thought she could just roll the ball out there and we would eventually wear down like everyone else they had played.

Staley thought wrong. Not to mention she got the pants coached off her by Bluder and her staff.

In terms of NCAA parallels, this was the equivalent of the Duke men knocking off undefeated and defending champions UNLV in 1991 national semifinals.

As for Iowa significance, I won't argue anyone who says this was our biggest win ever in any sport.
Biggest tactical mistake on offense was they did not take more 3s.....as much as Iowa was daring them to do just that knowing they struggle from there.

Keeping Boston on the bench for so long probably in hindsight was also not good for them.

On defense, they were unprepared for the pick and roll.

Last edited:

Reminds me a lot of Herb Brooks and his boyz orchestrating a major upset in the semis. The final's gold medal win vs Finland was almost anticlimactic.

Seriously?

F off, Clark whipped your ass. Clark 3:16

"Staley thought she could just roll the ball out there and we would eventually wear down like everyone else they had played. Staley thought wrong. Not to mention she got the pants coached off her by Bluder and her staff."

True, true, and true.

This game reminded me of the football game a few years ago when Iowa cleaned Ohio State's clock. Urban Meyer was so confident in the talent of his team that he refused to make any in-game adjustments, even tho they were getting pummeled. Same last night: even tho trailing, during the TV interview after the 3rd quarter, the USC coach clearly was confident they were going to win, without making changes. The USC coach seems like a nice enough person, and was gracious toward the Hawks in defeat, but she in no way seemed like the National Coach of the Year when it came to hoop strategy last night. Bluder outcoached her by a LARGE margin.

Seriously?

She B Hurting BAD

"Staley thought she could just roll the ball out there and we would eventually wear down like everyone else they had played. Staley thought wrong. Not to mention she got the pants coached off her by Bluder and her staff."

True, true, and true.

This game reminded me of the football game a few years ago when Iowa cleaned Ohio State's clock. Urban Meyer was so confident in the talent of his team that he refused to make any in-game adjustments, even tho they were getting pummeled. Same last night: even tho trailing, during the TV interview after the 3rd quarter, the USC coach clearly was confident they were going to win, without making changes. The USC coach seems like a nice enough person, and was gracious toward the Hawks in defeat, but she in no way seemed like the National Coach of the Year when it came to hoop strategy last night. Bluder outcoached her by a LARGE margin.

Yes, Yes, and Yes

She B Hurting BAD
Yeah, I listened to her press conference. It is certainly her and her team against the world. Well, she can enjoy the rest as a spectator. Sometimes, the "media perceived" better team loses.

If there is an issue with the media attention given Caitlan Clark well, shit, when you score, assist and rebound at her level season long, not to mention her performance in the tourney, perhaps opposing coaches can "believe" the media is favoring one player over another, or perhaps it is simply the fact that Clark is playing at an unbelievable level.

True, true, and true.

Don't want to mention what article of clothing Mulkey might get coached off her:)