Game Story: Hawkeye Bench Provides Boost at Maryland

Great win, don't discount this one, Hawk fans. Maryland might be having a down year, but you gotta remember where the Big Ten is at right now. This Maryland team beats most teams from most conferences on most nights. Really. In this murderer's row of a Big Ten, they are likely to be a bottom half finisher...but these guys aren't stiffs, either. Beating them some dominantly after coming out of the gates frankly sleepwalking a bit - that's impressive. This is a very, very good Iowa team.

Keegan Murray might be an All Big Ten level performer before he's done. What a steal we got, wow! I'm not going to say his "best" play necessarily, but perhaps his most "eye opening" play for me today was that last possession of the half where he took it coast to coast. A really nice play, but not as though he did anything superhuman...BUT...to show that confidence and awareness at this juncture of his career. Dayum. A few games ago, I think there is a really good chance he dumps that ball off. But tonight? Man, he grabbed the bull by the horns! Head up the whole way, knew the game/clock situation and scored the ball. This is a guy ready for more minutes.

Nunge had some really nice minutes as well. I'd love to see Nunge and Murray be our 6/7th guys off the bench (in any order). Toussaint...I know he's a fan favorite, so I tread lightly with my comments about him, but he is still very much a work in progress in my mind. At his size (small), I think he needs to step up his shooting, passing, or both to justify any more minutes.

Great to see JBo having another game where things are really clicking - he's just another weapon on a team that really has an embarrassment of riches on the offensive end. Especially important on a night when Wieskamp was off. Hopefully Wieskamp can get it going again (and soon). One thing that is interesting about JBo - he's going to go down as a great Hawk, both statistically and in terms of fan affection. One area he has been very successful statistically is assists - he's something like 7th all time last I heard...but would anyone consider him a great passer? I really have never thought so. Just kind of interesting for someone to simultaneously be not a great passer and also on the all time assists leaderboard.

Speaking of passing, fantastic performance from Connor - very happy to see him (apparently) not slowed up by the ankle. 10 dimes - he's our best PG by a clear margin. With so many scoring options on the floor, someone who can dish like Connor is like a force multiplier. I've seen it happen - you can put 5 really good scorers on the court at the same time and not get much production because no one knows how to facilitate. Connor is that guy for us, he fits into the starting 5 like a glove.

Let's keep it going, Hawks!

Great win, don't discount this one, Hawk fans. Maryland might be having a down year, but you gotta remember where the Big Ten is at right now. This Maryland team beats most teams from most conferences on most nights. Really. In this murderer's row of a Big Ten, they are likely to be a bottom half finisher...but these guys aren't stiffs, either. Beating them some dominantly after coming out of the gates frankly sleepwalking a bit - that's impressive. This is a very, very good Iowa team.

Keegan Murray might be an All Big Ten level performer before he's done. What a steal we got, wow! I'm not going to say his "best" play necessarily, but perhaps his most "eye opening" play for me today was that last possession of the half where he took it coast to coast. A really nice play, but not as though he did anything superhuman...BUT...to show that confidence and awareness at this juncture of his career. Dayum. A few games ago, I think there is a really good chance he dumps that ball off. But tonight? Man, he grabbed the bull by the horns! Head up the whole way, knew the game/clock situation and scored the ball. This is a guy ready for more minutes.

Nunge had some really nice minutes as well. I'd love to see Nunge and Murray be our 6/7th guys off the bench (in any order). Toussaint...I know he's a fan favorite, so I tread lightly with my comments about him, but he is still very much a work in progress in my mind. At his size (small), I think he needs to step up his shooting, passing, or both to justify any more minutes.

Great to see JBo having another game where things are really clicking - he's just another weapon on a team that really has an embarrassment of riches on the offensive end. Especially important on a night when Wieskamp was off. Hopefully Wieskamp can get it going again (and soon). One thing that is interesting about JBo - he's going to go down as a great Hawk, both statistically and in terms of fan affection. One area he has been very successful statistically is assists - he's something like 7th all time last I heard...but would anyone consider him a great passer? I really have never thought so. Just kind of interesting for someone to simultaneously be not a great passer and also on the all time assists leaderboard.

Speaking of passing, fantastic performance from Connor - very happy to see him (apparently) not slowed up by the ankle. 10 dimes - he's our best PG by a clear margin. With so many scoring options on the floor, someone who can dish like Connor is like a force multiplier. I've seen it happen - you can put 5 really good scorers on the court at the same time and not get much production because no one knows how to facilitate. Connor is that guy for us, he fits into the starting 5 like a glove.

Let's keep it going, Hawks!

I agree not to downplay this win, fans or no fans beating Maryland on their home court is tough and Maryland is a decent team in a very tough conference. They will pull out a few upsets.

I can't agree more on your take of Murray, he's been a real treat to watch. My mind is still blown at how down many of us were (myself included) when they were recruited. I had them both pegged as project players and I couldn't have been more wrong. Kudos to those that were praising getting these 2, I know there were a couple of you that were talking these 2 up. We are seeing the results on the court. I can't wait to see more of Kris.

Toussaint's time on the court is going to be dictated by JBo. When JBo is knocking down the 3 he is an asset on the court, when he's not he quickly turns into a liability on the defensive side and that plays into Toussaint's strength. I don't think Toussaint will ever develop into much of an outside threat, I'm hoping he will develop it just enough to draw a defender out so he can drive to the hoop. He is so fun to watch on the court but he will make an occasional mistake. I like how Toussaint complements JBo, when Fran needs scoring he turns to JBo but when he needs defense he can turn to Toussaint.

Two additional points related to the coach's sons. I loved when Conner's man sagged off ten feet and left him wide open at the top of the key and he nailed it. Any guard with a division I scholarship has to take that shot and make it 35% of the time. I am not encouraging Conner to shoot more. He should follow the "Strap Rule" from Hoosiers ("Don't shoot unless you are wide open under the basket"), but if they give you that shot, you take it and make them pay.

Patrick is starting to show why he was a Top 100 national recruit. He is fluid on offense and long and smart on the perimeter on defense. You can literally see he and Keegan getting better and more confident as the season progresses. Both deserve more PT, but at who's expense? Nice problem to have. We have 4 guys on the bench that I think would be starting on half of the conference schools right now.

Two additional points related to the coach's sons. I loved when Conner's man sagged off ten feet and left him wide open at the top of the key and he nailed it. Any guard with a division I scholarship has to take that shot and make it 35% of the time. I am not encouraging Conner to shoot more. He should follow the "Strap Rule" from Hoosiers ("Don't shoot unless you are wide open under the basket"), but if they give you that shot, you take it and make them pay.

Patrick is starting to show why he was a Top 100 national recruit. He is fluid on offense and long and smart on the perimeter on defense. You can literally see he and Keegan getting better and more confident as the season progresses. Both deserve more PT, but at who's expense? Nice problem to have. We have 4 guys on the bench that I think would be starting on half of the conference schools right now.
Also with regard to Connor the point that can't be understated is that he fully understands what you said. He knows that his role is not to be a shooter but also he has to take what he's given. I would like to see him stop that drive to super fadeaway and just go straight up with a jump shot. It looks clean but man I don't remember him ever making one.

Actually, what I noticed last night is that JoeT was favoring one foot a bit; I believe he is still feeling the effects of the ankle injury. He wasn't moving like he normally does and definitely was having issues moving laterally. It could be only mental; I've sprained my ankle before (more times than I can remember) and even though it was sound I still didn't move as I did pre-injury.

I agree not to downplay this win, fans or no fans beating Maryland on their home court is tough and Maryland is a decent team in a very tough conference. They will pull out a few upsets.

I can't agree more on your take of Murray, he's been a real treat to watch. My mind is still blown at how down many of us were (myself included) when they were recruited. I had them both pegged as project players and I couldn't have been more wrong. Kudos to those that were praising getting these 2, I know there were a couple of you that were talking these 2 up. We are seeing the results on the court. I can't wait to see more of Kris.

Toussaint's time on the court is going to be dictated by JBo. When JBo is knocking down the 3 he is an asset on the court, when he's not he quickly turns into a liability on the defensive side and that plays into Toussaint's strength. I don't think Toussaint will ever develop into much of an outside threat, I'm hoping he will develop it just enough to draw a defender out so he can drive to the hoop. He is so fun to watch on the court but he will make an occasional mistake. I like how Toussaint complements JBo, when Fran needs scoring he turns to JBo but when he needs defense he can turn to Toussaint.
I’ve been saying that Iowa needs both guys to be successful all season.

Does Iowa have one of the best benches in the country?
If what we've seen as of late can be believed, then I think we at least have to be in the conversation.

These next few years could be legacy changing for Fran. Even once we lose Garza, I could see assembling a tourney run quality team for a couple years after given the pieces we have. I already had a lot of respect for Fran - it's easy to forget how truly bad off the program was when he took the reins - but I'm not sure anyone was necessarily thinking he'd be numbered among the all time greats. If - and I said IF - he can pull off a few good tourney runs or even (dare we dream it?) a Big Ten title, Fran may be inching his way out of the "Hall of Not-Too-Shabby" and closer to "Iowa Basketball Mt Rushmore".

A lot of basketball games to be won before we're legitimately having those conversations, but boy are the indicators all pointing in a positive direction right now.

If what we've seen as of late can be believed, then I think we at least have to be in the conversation.

These next few years could be legacy changing for Fran. Even once we lose Garza, I could see assembling a tourney run quality team for a couple years after given the pieces we have. I already had a lot of respect for Fran - it's easy to forget how truly bad off the program was when he took the reins - but I'm not sure anyone was necessarily thinking he'd be numbered among the all time greats. If - and I said IF - he can pull off a few good tourney runs or even (dare we dream it?) a Big Ten title, Fran may be inching his way out of the "Hall of Not-Too-Shabby" and closer to "Iowa Basketball Mt Rushmore".

A lot of basketball games to be won before we're legitimately having those conversations, but boy are the indicators all pointing in a positive direction right now.
Ill reserve Franny judgment for the end of the season. Its easy to look good when you have a team like this. Lets see what some tourney action looks like....

Ill reserve Franny judgment for the end of the season. Its easy to look good when you have a team like this. Lets see what some tourney action looks like....
You don't have to wait for the tourney...Sunday will be interesting. Minnesota didn't wilt against us and pushed us, although the last minute would happen 2 out of 1000 times...they still battled us.

I want to see a statement game with Minnesota on Sunday.

You don't have to wait for the tourney...Sunday will be interesting. Minnesota didn't wilt against us and pushed us, although the last minute would happen 2 out of 1000 times...they still battled us.

I want to see a statement game with Minnesota on Sunday.
Minnesota is a solid team, they may be the surprise of the year in the Big Ten when all is said and done...but they aren't world beaters by any stretch - I'm not sure they are all that much better than the Marlyand team we just beat by ~20 on the road, honestly. Not trying to talk trash, like I said above, about the only place in the college hoops world where Maryland is "meh" is in the Big Ten.

I'll tell you something I believe about this Iowa team: i think they've got a little extra mental somethin' somethin' going on. It's not a "we're entitled to this win" overconfidence...more like a "you're not gonna beat us" chippiness. It starts with Garza and infects everyone else on the team. I think they took that Minny loss personally - Garza sure as hell did.

I'm calling it right now, Minny is taking an L out the door with them when they leave Carver. If Minny doesn't show up ready for an intense 40 mins, I think Iowa might beat them by 30.

Don't go putting your 401k on it on my word, but I don't think I'm wrong. I've got that kind of vibe going into this one.

Also with regard to Connor the point that can't be understated is that he fully understands what you said. He knows that his role is not to be a shooter but also he has to take what he's given. I would like to see him stop that drive to super fadeaway and just go straight up with a jump shot. It looks clean but man I don't remember him ever making one.
Connor actually is very good at that shot. If I had to guess I would say he makes over 50% if them.

Bench sparked this win. When Murray and Nunge entered the game, the game was over. Murray provides so much much energy for this team.

Latest posts