Game Story: Bench Sparks Hawkeyes Against MSU

Izzo is losing it. During the telecast it showed him being so angry. When Bohannon made the first 3 of the game for Iowa he ran down the bench and swung his arms in frustration. He was constantly in the referees ears trying to get them to stop calling fouls on the spartans. It usually works. After the game he was controlled livid about the officiating and inferring Garza was able to camp out in the lane.

*** It frustrated Izzo, who said, “I didn’t appreciate some of the calls.”

“They just drove us and went to the free-throw line,” Izzo said. “Jump into you, drive you, foul you, foul you. Every time you touched the big guy, there was a foul. I didn’t appreciate that. But, we’ve got to do a better job, so I have to do a better job.” ***

Last night's game was not a game to shoot jump shots with those refs. They were eager to blow a whistle. Iowa took advantage of it.

Izzo's boys were being very aggressive on defense and on the boards. The pregame plan was to "throw bodies at Garza." I am sure Izzo hoped the refs would let them play more, but especially as to Garza, he is great at drawing contact and getting to the line. This is not new, Iowa is one of the best in the country at getting to the line.

Indeed, I thought 28 fouls was quite predictable given both teams strategies going in. I thought the refs were fair, and that is not just because we won.

It was great to see the bench play so well. Fran's faith in his second unit is legit and they rewarded him for doing so. If our starting guards are not regularly hitting threes, then the back-ups are arguably a better option. Perkins, JT, and Patrick are all better defenders than the guards in front of them and all of them can drive the ball into the paint and score or dish.

This season is really so dependent upon Fran and him having the right instincts. If the starters are hitting from the outside, this team is pretty much unstoppable. If they are not, they should be over by Fran. Fran has to get that right.

My only small critique is Uhlis. Giving him a 3 minute cameo doesn't make sense to me. Give those minutes to someone else and keep the rotation to 10.

It was great to see the bench play so well. Fran's faith in his second unit is legit and they rewarded him for doing so. If our starting guards are not regularly hitting threes, then the back-ups are arguably a better option. Perkins, JT, and Patrick are all better defenders than the guards in front of them and all of them can drive the ball into the paint and score or dish.

This season is really so dependent upon Fran and him having the right instincts. If the starters are hitting from the outside, this team is pretty much unstoppable. If they are not, they should be over by Fran. Fran has to get that right.

My only small critique is Uhlis. Giving him a 3 minute cameo doesn't make sense to me. Give those minutes to someone else and keep the rotation to 10.
I thought Ulis was outstanding. If JBo and JT are struggling I’m very comfortable with him in the game. I’m pretty sure he only played because of our 2 foul rule...went in when JT got his 2nd.

Izzo is losing it. During the telecast it showed him being so angry. When Bohannon made the first 3 of the game for Iowa he ran down the bench and swung his arms in frustration. He was constantly in the referees ears trying to get them to stop calling fouls on the spartans. It usually works. After the game he was controlled livid about the officiating and inferring Garza was able to camp out in the lane.

*** It frustrated Izzo, who said, “I didn’t appreciate some of the calls.”

“They just drove us and went to the free-throw line,” Izzo said. “Jump into you, drive you, foul you, foul you. Every time you touched the big guy, there was a foul. I didn’t appreciate that. But, we’ve got to do a better job, so I have to do a better job.” ***
Them's the rules Izzo. Recently the NCAA has been allowing a change to College bball to more closely resemble the NBA. Euro -steps, jump-stops, 3 steps without dribbling (sometimes). They are leaning toward offense to make college ball more high scoring. Tom Izzo: you don't think JBo, JW, JT, and Garza don't know and take advantage of this?? Lean into the defender and try to draw the "and one." Try to keep up Izzo. I wish he would retire. He's an embarrassment to the conference. Hit the road.

Them's the rules Izzo. Recently the NCAA has been allowing a change to College bball to more closely resemble the NBA. Euro -steps, jump-stops, 3 steps without dribbling (sometimes). They are leaning toward offense to make college ball more high scoring. Tom Izzo: you don't think JBo, JW, JT, and Garza don't know and take advantage of this?? Lean into the defender and try to draw the "and one." Try to keep up Izzo. I wish he would retire. He's an embarrassment to the conference. Hit the road.
And the National POY should get at least 2 calls a game. Garza the freshman and sophomore had plenty called the other way.

If I remember correctly last year Garza was prey much dominating MSU. Izzo got in the refs ear and they stopped calling fouls. Glad they didn’t give in to his whining this time.

Latest posts