Game Report: Short-Handed Hawkeyes' Road Woes Continue at Indiana

Indiana got 16 offensive rebounds. Yes, losing Pemsl for a game mattered. We lost by 12 and Fredrick (averaging double figures) got hurt and didn’t score. We couldn’t make our threes. Another reason Fredrick’s injury mattered. And we turned it over 19 times. How did we only lose by 12? That’s where having an All American matters.

Needed Kriener this game. Instead he battled early foul trouble and didn't really get into the flow until the game was more or less decided.

Will really need him at Minnesota, and Evelyn as well. Someone will have to make up for the likely loss of CJ.

Someone needs to step the F up away from Carver other than Garza. Connor, Joe T, Fredrick(before he got hurt), Wieskamp, Kriener did absolutely nothing and crumbled again on the road digging Iowa a hole. Ridiculous

Someone needs to step the F up away from Carver other than Garza. Connor, Joe T, Fredrick(before he got hurt), Wieskamp, Kriener did absolutely nothing and crumbled again on the road digging Iowa a hole. Ridiculous

I agree, Joe W takes 11 shots? CMac scores 4, Joe T 3.......................

OK I ll bite. CM 4 point 2 Reb 2 assts. JW 18 pts, 6 rebs.
CM = Good. JW = Bad.

Explain.

How many did JW have in the first 30 mins when the game was decided? GTFO with his 18. He had the majority once the game was over

The bigger issue is CM not scoring and should have more rebounds

CM gets a pass like Fran. Intensity does not equate to good.

I think Joe Wieskamp is the one getting a pass here. Before the season started and before anyone ever realized that Garza was going to play at an All-American level, JW was gonna be our go to guy. He hasn’t played at the level that everyone was expecting him to. Wildly inconsistent scorer. He doesn’t even attempt to take over a game. He always seems to get his points, but doesn’t really show up until the second half of a ballgame when the game is already pretty much decided. He needs to get an aggressive mindset and go full throttle like Garza does now. Hope CJF is able to return soon, cause he is more of a clutch player than Wieskamp. JW just isn’t aggressive enough.

I think the formula is pretty simple to be IN games at the end on the road.
  • PLay D like your playing time that night depends on it (record 3's means you're not focused on D)
  • ID the troubled player in a losing streak and DONT let him get the ball or hot (the regulars will get theirs)
  • Value possessions (bad and frequent TO's by our "ball handlers" = LOSS)
  • FINISH at the rim on occassion (if I see joe W go up with one more weak ass run at the rim with a TO or miss i may puke)
Do most of those things most of the time and you will always be in a game until the end. OH one other important thing someone put a gag on Fran late so he doesn't get a T as your team fights back on a stupid Goal Tend call you didn't get. YOu'd think the guy would learn something after 30 years coaching.

Indiana got 16 offensive rebounds. Yes, losing Pemsl for a game mattered. We lost by 12 and Fredrick (averaging double figures) got hurt and didn’t score. We couldn’t make our threes. Another reason Fredrick’s injury mattered. And we turned it over 19 times. How did we only lose by 12? That’s where having an All American matters.

We only lost by 12 because Indiana was pretty bad outside their five 3 pointer barrage in that couple minutes in the first half. They don't have much post presence outside some nice offensive rebounding last night, they suck at FTs, and they were horrible in transition given all the live ball turnovers. They screwed up four times trying for alley oops when they had numbers! Could've been a 20 point game easy if Indiana wasn't just as sloppy as Iowa. But every time Indiana hit a drought, Iowa also seemed to hit a drought, so they never took advantage to get it back to single digits.

My question is. If that game was really never within reach why did Garza play 40 minutes and Wieskamp 38? Would it have made more sense to tuck tail and get ready for Minny?

The closest it ever got was 10 in the 2H. Now we have a road game at Minny in two days. Sometimes you might have to just admit defeat and move onto the next one.

I thought about that. No right or wrong answer, IMO.

I don't think this group of players is built to wave the white flag. That could impact its psyche. Maybe it helped their confidence to keep fighting through more adversity.

Honestly, I don't know.

For the most part, offense is not the issue on the road.

BINGO!!!

This isn’t rocket science what has been repeatedly hurting this program. This is either a recruiting failure, coaching failure, or both.

Wisconsin sure seemed to figure it out over the last two decades. White guys can’t jump and apparently move their feet quick enough to maintain good defensive position.

Latest posts