Game Report: No. 4 Michigan Too Much for Hawkeyes

Not sure how to feel about last night. In the end, it's a non-blowout road loss to one of the B1G's top teams.

Luka is a machine right now. He outclassed Teske by a wide margin.

Michigan shot it well from three, but some of the defensive rotations on their shooters were horrifically similar to those of recent vintage.

The zone was a bad idea and the pick-and-roll defense was, wow.

Shake it off. Big one Monday against an average, at best, Minnesota team in Carver. Then off to Ames before finals.

Two more games for J-Bo.

Not sure how to feel about last night. In the end, it's a non-blowout road loss to one of the B1G's top teams.

Michigan shot it well from three, but some of the defensive rotations on their shooters were horrifically similar to those of recent vintage.

Shake it off. Big one Monday against an average, at best, Minnesota team in Carver. Then off to Ames before finals.

Two more games for J-Bo.
I don’t like to be an excuse guy I’m kind of with you in that it was a hard game to put your finger on as a hawkeye fan, the lack of defense is tough to watch at times. But a 10 day span with four games all away from home in Vegas, New York, and Ann Arbor, that’s a lot for a college team, and especially one that’s battling some injury stuff.

Not really sure why Jbo played 36 minutes at Cuse when we had the commanding lead in the second half.

Two more games for J-Bo.

There will be many more of these this year. Hopefully they can shake it off and beat Minnesota. College basketball has become more and more about spacing, shooting, and driving. Unless Fran can get some athletes that are willing (and better able) to defend this is what Iowa basketball is.

There will be many more of these this year. Hopefully they can shake it off and beat Minnesota. College basketball has become more and more about spacing, shooting, and driving. Unless Fran can get some athletes that are willing (and better able) to defend this is what Iowa basketball is.
I partially agree, but when Jbo shuts it down that in theory should mean more minutes for Toussaint. I love Jbo, and that will probably hurt our offense some, but it should be a plus plus for our defense. Also CJF was clearly hurt and playing at about 70% last night.

Minnesota is a huge game. Have to protect home court, especially against teams you should beat. One of our last games with Jbo’s long range shooting.

I hope CJF is feeling better than he was last night because he was nowhere near 100%.

I think JT and CJF (when healthy) could provide solid backcourt defense. Start them with Connor, Wieskamp and Garza when J-Bo shuts it down.
I hope. But I have a suspicion that Fran will start Kriener and return to the bigger lineup and leave Toussaint on the bench. That’s bad business in my opinion but that’s my guess on what he will do based on everything we’ve seen so far.

I really wish Pemsl would quit trying Magic Johnson passes. It almost never turns out well but it works just enough to make him think its ok to keep doing.

We shot terribly from three and were still within striking distance the whole game. Had we stuck more with man-to-man and shot a little bit better we absolutely could have won.

I really wish Pemsl would quit trying Magic Johnson passes. It almost never turns out well but it works just enough to make him think its ok to keep doing.
I hate to pour it on a kid who’s gone through so much injury wise, but what does he bring to the table at this point? He’s a big body kind of but does he play big? I honestly don’t think it’s a stretch to say Till might be a better option.

Despite the less than stellar defense there was much to be encouraged about. Give MI credit they had a 3-ball answer EVERY time the Hawks started a run. Had they not been shooting so well they may have been forced to start doubling Garza and opened up our perimeter a bit. They played about as good as they could have and yet the Hawks remained within striking distance. A lot of teams would have lost that game by 30.

I think JT served notice that he is gonna be an elite point guard in the BT. What an odd sight having the quickest player on the floor playing for the Hawks! He took a huge step forward and will be impossible to keep off the floor before long.

There is also the fact that we put 91 points on the wolverines at Crisler

They also scored 29 points on free throws

I hate to pour it on a kid who’s gone through so much injury wise, but what does he bring to the table at this point? He’s a big body kind of but does he play big? I honestly don’t think it’s a stretch to say Till might be a better option.
Oh it's a stretch to say Till is a better option currently. Till had some minutes against Syracuse the other night and he was just lost trying to play against that zone. Fran had him at the free throw line and when the ball came into him he never once turned and looked to score or pass it low. There were times he could have turned and been wide open. It's that kind of unawareness on his part that scares me. I also blame some of that on the coaches....that is zone breaking 101 and if you're a D1 player and don't know that there is a problem.

Oh it's a stretch to say Till is a better option currently. Till had some minutes against Syracuse the other night and he was just lost trying to play against that zone. Fran had him at the free throw line and when the ball came into him he never once turned and looked to score or pass it low. There were times he could have turned and been wide open. It's that kind of unawareness on his part that scares me. I also blame some of that on the coaches....that is zone breaking 101 and if you're a D1 player and don't know that there is a problem.
Yes it’s probably a bold statement. Again it’s the same story, I don’t care if Till is a liability on offense. It’s about defense. Right now Pemsl isn’t bringing much on either end in my estimation. Till is more athletic and brings energy. Sure Till couldn't operate in the middle of the zone, he’s not a scorer, but he did get three big offensive rebounds. Just a thought in certain situations.

Last edited:
I hope. But I have a suspicion that Fran will start Kriener and return to the bigger lineup and leave Toussaint on the bench. That’s bad business in my opinion but that’s my guess on what he will do based on everything we’ve seen so far.

You’re probably right. Fran seems to like bigger lineups.

I don't understand Fran's reluctantance to play Joe T more. There's bringing a guy alone slowly and there's fast tracking. Joe T NEEDS to be fast tracked. He is essential on defense and offense. His speed is elete and recognized by our opponents and announcers. Fran should be thanking his lucky stars he has a player like him and get the hell out his way. Let him cut his teeth and play his game. They will be some ugly but the upside is so worth it.

He just needs to not play. If you need to steal a few mins, just put Till in. At least he will grab some rebounds

Latest posts