Game Report: Nebraska Upsets Short-Handed Hawkeyes Tuesday in Lincoln

Not a lot the coach can do about this. JoeT cant shoot, CMac may be a little better shooter but defenses will live with him taking 3's because he won't beat them. Wieskamp is now our only credible shooter and he had a terrible game. Kriener cant play with Garza because he gets stuck in no mans land a lot as Garza commands the paint. Pemsl is just not good and is a liability right now. Evelyn cant shoot either. And that's it folks.

An elementary school coach could gameplan this one, especially when they are at home because teams statistically dont shoot as well on the road. Pack the paint, double and triple Garza, try to get anyone other than Wieskamp to shoot, but even if Wieskamp shoots it you can live with it until he hits 4 or 5 of them. Last night this was Wieskamp's game, and it will be from now going forward without CJ or JBo. We will go as he goes because he is going to have to shoot well to open up the lane.

Keep in mind this team is built around a dominate post player surrounded by shooters. Now we just dont have the shooters.

The guys defending JT and BE were literally dropping all the way to the paint while they were out at the arc. JT starting driving it more in the second half. He got to the rim even though the lane was congested. BE looked like he has zero confidence in his offensive game. CP’a defender also helped off of him with little threat he’s get burned.

Hoiberg said after the game that his team’s only chance to win was packing the paint and collapsing on Garza. Luka didn’t score until under 8 minutes of the first half.

Good game plan by Fred and really the only one that gave him a shot to win.

Well Hoiberg took a fairly drastic game plan against us and it pretty much worked. I don't think most teams will want JW shooting 10 open 3s like that against them. For us to go 4 for 33 or whatever it was is nuts. I can't remember a worse performance. Garza going 0-4 isn't ideal but not the end of the world. But Joe T JW and Kriener shooting so poorly is frustrating. Imagine if CM didn't go 3/7 witch is good? Unreal. Almost just as unreal was the lack of FT attempts. That kinda goes hand in hand with settling for so many 3s. Even after all that we had came back to take the lead and only end up losing by 6. Such a frustrating game to watch. Not sure what buttons Fran could have pushed strategy wise to change things.

From the game report linked in the op, here's what Fran said about playing with injuries:

“Everybody has injury. Everybody has sickness. Everybody has tough stretches where there are a lot of road games, a lot of travel,” Fran McCaffery said.

“We have other guys. We have to play better than we played tonight. Give credit and respect to our opponent but we didn’t play as well as we have been playing and I’m not going to put that all on the fact that C.J. Fredrick was not on the floor. It wasn’t like we played four on five. Somebody else was playing. We’ve got to play better than we played.”

Well Hoiberg took a fairly drastic game plan against us and it pretty much worked. I don't think most teams will want JW shooting 10 open 3s like that against them. For us to go 4 for 33 or whatever it was is nuts. I can't remember a worse performance. Garza going 0-4 isn't ideal but not the end of the world. But Joe T JW and Kriener shooting so poorly is frustrating. Imagine if CM didn't go 3/7 witch is good? Unreal. Almost just as unreal was the lack of FT attempts. That kinda goes hand in hand with settling for so many 3s. Even after all that we had came back to take the lead and only end up losing by 6. Such a frustrating game to watch. Not sure what buttons Fran could have pushed strategy wise to change things.
I don’t blame Fran for this one, although he should be calling more timeouts to get our guys breathers.

The change I would push for going forward is Evelyn in the starting 5 over Kriener with CJ out with injury. RK is the better player for sure, but Iowa has good success with the small ball style. Ryan gives you some pop off the bench whereas Evelyn and Pemsl are far too often non factors. You can’t get nothing off your bench and expect to win in this league.

Here was Fran's quote on CJF's status from my story:

“I don’t know that I can expect anything. The only thing that I can expect is what the trainers and the doctors tell me,” Fran McCaffery said. “Is he cleared to play? Is he not cleared to play? I will not put him out there under any risk. At some point, if we have to shut him down, we’ll shut him down.

“Right now it’s still day to day. Until they tell me otherwise, that’s how we’ll go with it.”

From the game report linked in the op, here's what Fran said about playing with injuries:

“Everybody has injury. Everybody has sickness. Everybody has tough stretches where there are a lot of road games, a lot of travel,” Fran McCaffery said.

“We have other guys. We have to play better than we played tonight. Give credit and respect to our opponent but we didn’t play as well as we have been playing and I’m not going to put that all on the fact that C.J. Fredrick was not on the floor. It wasn’t like we played four on five. Somebody else was playing. We’ve got to play better than we played.”
Well that's what you'd hope/expect to hear. It's not completely wrong either. When you get down to the 13th man on your bench against the other teams starters it's just tough and everyone knows it.

I don’t blame Fran for this one, although he should be calling more timeouts to get our guys breathers.

The change I would push for going forward is Evelyn in the starting 5 over Kriener with CJ out with injury. RK is the better player for sure, but Iowa has good success with the small ball style. Ryan gives you some pop off the bench whereas Evelyn and Pemsl are far too often non factors. You can’t get nothing off your bench and expect to win in this league.
Yeah totally agree with the TOs. No reason to not take one more in the first half. If for no other reason then a breather I agree.
Yeah Evelyn has been disappointing. Kriener till last night had been pretty solid so I see why Fran started him. But going forward I could see him switching em out to start. What could it hurt really? Pemsl is just a body. He'll get a few rebounds and set screens but beyond that...

As a player or coach, you have to say this stuff even tho everyone knows it's just coach speak. As a fan it's ok to state the obvious. Guys at the end of the bench aren't as good as the starters, so if they're playing, your team is worse off.

As a player or coach, you have to say this stuff even tho everyone knows it's just coach speak. As a fan it's ok to state the obvious. Guys at the end of the bench aren't as good as the starters, so if they're playing, your team is worse off.

Steve Alford, Scott Frost and Roy Williams are on lines 1-3. Would you like me to patch them through. :D

Latest posts