Game Report: Hawkeyes Silence February Fade Talk with Win at Minnesota

Hawks are a game ahead of schedule for me so I’m feeling good. Would love to see us protect home court and get a healthy CJ back for the post season.

We haven't had a player average 20 per game for quite awhile. Anyone know how many more points Garza needs to lock that up? He's gotta be close already.

We haven't had a player average 20 per game for quite awhile. Anyone know how many more points Garza needs to lock that up? He's gotta be close already.
We have five conference games remaining and, for the sake of argument, I will say five postseason games.

He would probably have to average around ten points per game from here on in to fail to average 20 for the season.

His average has been climbing higher all year. Would be almost impossible to fall below 20.

We have five conference games remaining and, for the sake of argument, I will say five postseason games.

He would probably have to average around ten points per game from here on in to fail to average 20 for the season.
I know the post season counts because Jok actually fell below 20 in the NIT, but I bet he's only about 10 points short of averaging 20 in the regular season. It doesn't matter at all obviously because he will probably average 20+ from here on out anyway. Just something that crossed my mind.

Two below the radar points about the game.

Kriener's and-one just before the half was huge, as was the defensive stop going into the locker room. 31-26 was a huge difference from 31-23, or 34-26.

Minnesota being out of timeouts after Connor's final free throw was monumental. As was Miles' boneheadedness in suggesting that Fran should call one.

Why would Fran call one there? So Pitino could draw something up? There were 2.7 seconds left. Last year after JBo's Northwestern heroics there was only .9 left and Derrick Pardon still got a shot off. Because the cats had a TO remaining.

As for Tim Miles, he proves with every game he announces or every studio analysis that he was stealing money as a B1G coach for several years there.

Two below the radar points about the game.

Kriener's and-one just before the half was huge, as was the defensive stop going into the locker room. 31-26 was a huge difference from 31-23, or 34-26.

Minnesota being out of timeouts after Connor's final free throw was monumental. As was Miles' boneheadedness in suggesting that Fran should call one.

Why would Fran call one there? So Pitino could draw something up? There were 2.7 seconds left. Last year after JBo's Northwestern heroics there was only .9 left and Derrick Pardon still got a shot off. Because the cats had a TO remaining.

As for Tim Miles, he proves with every game he announces or every studio analysis that he was stealing money as a B1G coach for several years there.
Good point about the end of half. In the Indiana game Iowa scratched back to like 10 but Indiana went on a mini 5-0 run to end the half. It all but effectively ended the game in my opinion. We stole some points there for sure with foul trouble and Garza on the bench to end the half today.

An odd point: I really like the way Pitino uses his time outs. Yea, they didn't have one with 2.9 left, but that's a long shot any way you cut it. When they've had a thin lineup in past games he uses his TOs to get his players rest, getting AHEAD of giving up an 8 pt run rather than waiting until they happen. He actually has a good sense of when his players are slowing down, losing focus, etc. But nothing could help the Gophers today -- they just flat-out stunk. They should NOT get into the NCAA tourney if how they played vs Iowa this year is any indication.

An odd point: I really like the way Pitino uses his time outs. Yea, they didn't have one with 2.9 left, but that's a long shot any way you cut it. When they've had a thin lineup in past games he uses his TOs to get his players rest, getting AHEAD of giving up an 8 pt run rather than waiting until they happen. He actually has a good sense of when his players are slowing down, losing focus, etc. But nothing could help the Gophers today -- they just flat-out stunk. They should NOT get into the NCAA tourney if how they played vs Iowa this year is any indication.
Would have been criminal to lose this game considering how flat Minnesota was.

And considering how tight third through twelfth place are. Now we got three of our next four at home.

OSU is #9 in KenPom. What's weird is they've had, like, 3 seasons wrapped into 1. They started out hotter than blazes and were just pummeling teams left and right, including PSU by 32 at home. Then went thru a stretch where they lost 6 of 7 and couldn't get above 60 points. Now they're on a stretch where they've won 5 of 6 (but the 1 loss was a complete ass-kicking at Wisconsin).

So who knows which team shows up on Thursday.

Latest posts