Game Report: Hawkeyes Run By SIU-Edwardsville

RobHowe

Administrator
Notes, observations from Iowa's season-opening win with links to photo gallery, interviews and box score:

LINK

If Nunge doesn't start playing better, Foster is going to steal his starting spot next year.

Nunge is a wallflower. He just doesn’t have that killer instinct. Nearly 7’ 250lbs and just floats around the perimeter. Was hopeful the redshirt and added strength would change his demeanor and style of play.

Jack just never seemed to get into the flow last night. He struggled early and it carried through.

That happened when he was a freshman and he needs to be more consistent, but I'm not going to bury the guy for an off night. SIUE played with a small lineup, and with Garza eating up the paint touches, Iowa was better off going with a small lineup.

Jack just never seemed to get into the flow last night. He struggled early and it carried through.

That happened when he was a freshman and he needs to be more consistent, but I'm not going to bury the guy for an off night. SIUE played with a small lineup, and with Garza eating up the paint touches, Iowa was better off going with a small lineup.

i actually think nunge is a bit too heavy after watching him in the last week. he seems a bit heavy-footed. don't think you can be 7'0"/250 and play the perimeter. if you want him to stay at 250, then he needs to be on the low block, or at least running the baseline and posting up at the ft line and used for picks. or, get down to 235 or 230.

also, if foster picks iowa, then nunge is exactly the guy foster takes minutes from. but, eventually, nunge takes garza's spot when garza graduates. it's actually set up pretty well with '20 being the season to get foster's feet wet and nunge more involved on the low block. but, of course, foster has to pick iowa, first.

Nunge is a wallflower. He just doesn’t have that killer instinct. Nearly 7’ 250lbs and just floats around the perimeter. Was hopeful the redshirt and added strength would change his demeanor and style of play.
This is almost exactly what I posted before his redshirt.

If I was a coach recruiting in any sport, one of the first traits I would look for is a competitive spirit. Garza has it in spades. Jack doesn't, and you can see it with their performances. Ironically, of the two, Nunge is more athletic and gifted, but it doesn't matter if you don't have that inner drive.

Uthoff was similar, though the light came on for him later. Hopefully, Jack will have a similar awakening.

Didn’t watch the SIU game, I do know Nunge plays a big factor in what type of success Iowa has this season. Based on what I am reading so far I am a little discouraged.

Sounds like he is struggling with when he wants to be a modern day stretch 4 or an old school back to the basket 4. A guy just hanging around the block.

Notes, observations from Iowa's season-opening win with links to photo gallery, interviews and box score:

LINK

This really stands out

Iowa made 27 of 32 attempts from the foul line. SIUE was 4 of 4 on foul shots.

Once the team settled down, we took off very well

Nunge started to overcome the jitters. I believe he will be OK

JoeT is the Goods, no doubt

The three starters from last season look ready to play, every one of them

Alright Alright Alright

:cool:

Last edited:
It nags at me that this was another opponent that seemed to get to the rim any time they wanted. With our added quickness this year, I thought that would improve. Definitely a cause for worry about this year's team.

I like hearing FrannyMac say they can run the offense through Garza.

REALLY? Ya think that might be a winning strategy ... since about February of 2018?

Let's hope it's not one of his fleeting comments and it's truly the foundation of the team.

If what we saw from Nunge in that game is going to be the norm, this is going to be a rough season for the Hawks. I really expected more from him after his year off. I dont buy into the theory that his extra weight is a negative. Anyone calling for him to clock in below 230 is nuts.

I was happy with the game because I’m pretty certain Joe Toussaint is going to be a good one. I think most will be hoping he pushes into the starting lineup eventually this year, depending on what happens with Jbo. Connor looks improved but Toussaint just adds a different element. That speed and strength mixed with our shooters and Garza on the interior could be a lot to handle for a defense.

Nunge kind of has that unassuming personality. I’m still confident he will be a good one.

Speaking of personalities I really Like this CJF kid. Plays hard and seems to have a passion out there.

Really like Joe Toussaint

JoeTheSaint

He is very quick and knows how to play D very well

The team played solid D, helping out and swarming to the ball

Might be a good year. Depaul will give us a better picture

:cool:

If Nunge doesn't start playing better, Foster is going to steal his starting spot next year.

giphy.gif