Fran needs a pt guard like that Hilyard guy or similar, an Ivey type

uihawk82

Many of you have said this but I am going to reiterate that Iowa has lot's of great big guys, super forwards and wing shooters but Fran has not had enough of the great point guards. Actually, Fran has never had a really great point guard, has he? None of them are good enough to make the NBA or leave early to do that.

I would have to watch the game over to see why Perkins rode the bench so much against Richmond. Maybe mental mistakes on defense. But you have to have that great point guard who game in and game out just runs and sets up the team, who can handle each possession late into the shot clock and get buckets, and who can be a really good defender.

I hear Fran has a pretty good pt guard coming in and the way things look he could probably start if he is very good.

Many of you have said this but I am going to reiterate that Iowa has lot's of great big guys, super forwards and wing shooters but Fran has not had enough of the great point guards. Actually, Fran has never had a really great point guard, has he? None of them are good enough to make the NBA or leave early to do that.

I would have to watch the game over to see why Perkins rode the bench so much against Richmond. Maybe mental mistakes on defense. But you have to have that great point guard who game in and game out just runs and sets up the team, who can handle each possession late into the shot clock and get buckets, and who can be a really good defender.

I hear Fran has a pretty good pt guard coming in and the way things look he could probably start if he is very good.
A guard that small would get mauled physically in the B1G, no matter how good he was or how big his heart was.

He would also get the crap posted out of him by any coach with a clue.

If he was thick through the legs and rear end, like Pearl Washington or Scoonie Penn or Yogi Farrell, maybe a different story. But he was only 160 lbs. He was Keith (Mister) Jennings size.

That ain't cutting it in the B1G no matter how big his talent or heart is.

A guard that small would get mauled physically in the B1G, no matter how good he was or how big his heart was.

If he was thick through the legs and rear end, like Pearl Washington or Scoonie Penn or Yogi Farrell, maybe a different story. But he was only 160 lbs. He was Keith (Mister) Jennings size.

He is six feet tall, you know

Tiny Archibald was 6'1"

I thought he was listed at 5'9"

And Tiny was strong as on ox, like another UTEP guard that would come along 20 years later named Tim Hardaway.

Tim Hardaway had serious attitude

I was visiting my brother in Seattle and we went to the Kingdome

To watch the Sonics play Sacramento

The Seattle fans Hated Hardaway

He would just strut around the court

So, good. Now we know that Iowa needs an "Ivey" type, like every power 5 basketball program in the nation. Thank you, Capt. Obvious!

People forget at the end of the season, when it was money time, it was Perk at the point and Jbo at the 2. If the worst case scenario is a Perk/Sandfort starting backcourt I can live with that.

omega-portal.gif

Fran Go to Portal.....seek guards and centers.

Avenge 2022 1st Round exit.

I wasnt just talking about his height but his dribbling ability, etc etc, smarts, intangibles, Hilyard hit some big buckets against the hawks and he got the ball to his open teammates. I did happen to catch the last few minutes of their A10 Championship game and he was doing everything very well.

I hope JoeT and Ulis and Perkins can really up their game.

Ivey is not 5' 9".

Latest posts