Fran may be a better than I first thought

bassdeer

This is from the Siena site so it may be a little biased but overall I like what it is telling me. He started with a depleted team, recruited strong, exceeded expecations, finshed strong, at least once had the HIGHEST SCORING TEAM IN LEAGUE........

Player Bio: Fran McCaffery - SIENA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

McCaffery inherited a depleted Siena team that was picked last in the 10-team MAAC in 2005-2006. Instead, the Saints finished conference play in fourth place, earning a bye to the quarterfinals of the MAAC Tournament.

Siena showed steady improvement under McCaffery's tutelage in 2006-2007, posting a 20-12 overall record and tying for third place in the MAAC with a 12-6 finish. McCaffery's Saints were the highest scoring team in the league, and they peaked at the right time, winning seven of their last eight regular-season games and advancing to play for the league Championship with a semifinal upset of top-seed Marist.

McCaffery has orchestrated the turnaround with stellar recruiting and bold vision. His first recruit - senior Kenny Hasbrouck - graduated as the most important player in program history. He was named MAAC Rookie of the Year as a freshman, MAAC Second Team and All-Tournament team as a sophomore, CollegeInsider.com Mid Major Player of the Year, MAAC First Team and MAAC Tournament MVP as a junior and MAAC Player of the Year, MAAC Tournament MVP, NABC All-District and MAAC First Team as a senior last season

Any top 40-50 recruiting classes? Any players in the NBA? Looks pretty fancy for the MAAC. Oh boy.

Seriously, what is the difference in records and history between Fran and Lick?

I dont know much about Fran but I can't help see a comparison between the 2.

Fran took 3 different teams to NCAA's and he also was an assistant at ND. Lick was only at E. Michigan and then took over Butler after Matta and Collier, who both had good success at Butler.

Fran built something at 3 different stops and Lick maintained something at Butler.

Those would be a couple of differences, imo.

MVhawk

He knows what coaching in a fishbowl is like. He was an assistant at Notre Dame for 10 yrs and thats a big fish bowl. So he wont come in ignorant like Raveling and Lick.

He rebuilt 2 programs. Mid-majors yes but still that is 2 more than Lick rebuilt.

He can coach and been to NCAA. Can do that in B10? Thats the big question isnt it?

He recruited midwest 10 yrs ago but those connections are probably long gone. Now recruits east coast and I dont see them coming to Iowa. Its been said before the big key to success is hiring assistants that can really, really recruit the midwest. He also needs to jump on a couple quality juco players to add maturity.

I would bet he knows that, now lets see if he can hire great recruiters.

Siena is one. What is the other? The 90-87 job he did at UNCG? Or 49-40 at Lehigh?

What was the record of each school prior to his arrival? What's the break down by year for each year he was there?

Lehigh the two years before he arrived

4-23
12-19

1985-86 13-15
1986-87 15-14
1987-88 20-10

UNCG before he got there 7-20

15-13
19-12 NCAA
20-11 NIT
7-22
11-17
18-12

Siena before he got there 6-24
15-13
20-12
23-11 NCAA
27-8 NCAA
27-7 NCAA

I have no clue what this means, but there you go.

Tom Davis Coached at Stanford coached 4 seasons at Stanford, in that four year he compiled a 58-59 record with no NCAA tournament bids. I don't remember fan reaction when he was hired, it worked out nicely.

Tom Davis Coached at Stanford coached 4 seasons at Stanford, in that four year he compiled a 58-59 record with no NCAA tournament bids. I don't remember fan reaction when he was hired, it worked out nicely.

+1. Lets get McCaffery on campus and hear him out before we burn down the old capitol.

Davis did pretty well at Boston College though before that, though. I'm not quite sure why it didn't work out at Stanford, but Davis at least had some proven success in a major conference previously. Assuming Boston College was in the big east at that time.

I believe Davis claimed it was hard for him to bring in Talent to Stanford back then because of academic requirements.

agree on Davis and his success at B.C he had them in 3 NCAA's ( 2nd rd., sweet 16 and elite 8, in that order before he bolted for Stanford) I wonder why he left in the first place.

I'm not thrilled with the hire, it's not who I wanted ( forbes ), I'm willing to back Fran as he embarks on an uphill battle, if he turns this thing around there will be a statue of the fella outside Carver someday!

Latest posts