Fran! Alert! Defense wins championships

homes

Post-championship interview, Colin Gillespie said that all they work on in practice is rebounding and defense. The offense is secondary. It showed. The Wildcats were relentless on the boards. Defense starts with them with one of their own missed shots - they're always fighting for rebounds, tips, whatever it takes to regain possession of the ball.

Iowa's intensity on the boards and on defense is a tenth (generously) of what Villanova puts out. I'm pretty sure that Gillespie's interview could not be honestly duplicated by any Iowa player last year. They will need an entire attitudinal shift next year, or it's more of the same, I'm afraid.

Post-championship interview, Colin Gillespie said that all they work on in practice is rebounding and defense. The offense is secondary. It showed. The Wildcats were relentless on the boards. Defense starts with them with one of their own missed shots - they're always fighting for rebounds, tips, whatever it takes to regain possession of the ball.

Iowa's intensity on the boards and on defense is a tenth (generously) of what Villanova puts out. I'm pretty sure that Gillespie's interview could not be honestly duplicated by any Iowa player last year. They will need an entire attitudinal shift next year, or it's more of the same, I'm afraid.
If you think any of our players are anywhere near Villinova’s talent wise, you either don’t follow college basketball or don’t know anything about it.

Recruiting wins championships in the NCAA. Krzyzewski, Wright, and Beilein all on the same coaching staff couldn’t get past the first round with the squad we have.

No one expects this team to contend for a title, but making the tournament every year is not an unrealistic expectation.

If their intensity in those area was generously graded a tenth of Nova's, they'd practically be laying down on lawn chairs. But point well taken.

If you think any of our players are anywhere near Villinova’s talent wise, you either don’t follow college basketball or don’t know anything about it.

Recruiting wins championships in the NCAA. Krzyzewski, Wright, and Beilein all on the same coaching staff couldn’t get past the first round with the squad we have.

No one expects this team to contend for a title, but making the tournament every year is not an unrealistic expectation.
Thanks for the insight. I hadn't noticed. Of course, that wasn't my point, but still, thanks. I'll do a better job next time. Peace, my fellow Hawkeye follower.

Part of the reason they don't have to work on offense is because they have multiple guys that can create their own shot and are successful with dribble penetration. We don't have anyone that can do that.

But I agree that Fran and the team definitely need to focus on their defense this off-season and make it a focus, because the defense was pretty much non-existent this season.

If he is teaching that, the players are obviously not listening, because their hands are down in games and the footwork is not what he shows in the video.

FM needs to do exactly what Beilein did bf this season. Hire a defensive coach and put him completely in charge of the defense. Beilein is also an O first coach but he a had top notch defensive team this season w that approach. Which assistant should be replaced for that defensive coach...the worst recruiter whomever that is.

FM needs to do exactly what Beilein did bf this season. Hire a defensive coach and put him completely in charge of the defense. Beilein is also an O first coach but he a had top notch defensive team this season w that approach. Which assistant should be replaced for that defensive coach...the worst recruiter whomever that is.

If Bow-Ties could teach defensive fundamentals, Dillard would be a wizard. Alas, that is not the case. To bad Dillon's fashion attire also does not rub off in getting better uniforms for the boys.

Anybody got alotta time and not much to do? Someone tell me how many lay-ups, slam-dunks and tip-ins we allowed. I'm serious!

Iowa is soft...soft teams don't have the heart to play in your face defense...it is work...it is even more difficult to practice in your face defense, it is tiring and you get bumped around. During the games Iowa likes to shoot and run, in practice they like to shoot and run...this is fun...and can get you 14-16 wins or so.

I will be excited and surprised if Iowa can transform into a "non-soft" BB team, from the limp to the tenacious.

I will also be surprised and excited if this coaching staff wants to teach it, sees value in it, and most of all is ABLE to teach it.

I have my doubts...

Right now....limp...soft Iowa is an easy game on the schedule.

Iowa is soft...soft teams don't have the heart to play in your face defense...it is work...it is even more difficult to practice in your face defense, it is tiring and you get bumped around. During the games Iowa likes to shoot and run, in practice they like to shoot and run...this is fun...and can get you 14-16 wins or so.

I will be excited and surprised if Iowa can transform into a "non-soft" BB team, from the limp to the tenacious.

I will also be surprised and excited if this coaching staff wants to teach it, sees value in it, and most of all is ABLE to teach it.

I have my doubts...

Right now....limp...soft Iowa is an easy game on the schedule.

If she says I'm limp...soft, aye yay yay