Formulaic Tournament Selection And Seeding...

Fryowa

Administrator
Here's how the tournament would've been selected and seeded according to NET. Play-in games are bogus and don't count so I went 64 teams. In yellow are teams that won their CCGs but weren't in the top 64 NET.

Included are all conference champs per the current rules, and the rest are selected and seeded according to NET ranking (obviously some like the Hawks won the auto-bid but would've been in anyway). In the table below I have each team's NET ranking and what their seeding in the tournament would be. This would take everything out of a committee's hand and remember, fairness isn't an argument here. All criteria are equally applied to everyone. Can there be flaws in the logic? Yes. Does it matter? No.

2022TOURN.jpg

Here's how the tournament would've been selected and seeded according to NET. Play-in games are bogus and don't count so I went 64 teams. In yellow are teams that won their CCGs but weren't in the top 64 RPI.

Included are all conference champs per the current rules, and the rest are selected and seeded according to NET ranking (obviously some like the Hawks won the auto-bid but would've been in anyway). In the table below I have each team's NET ranking and what their seeding in the tournament would be. This would take everything out of a committee's hand and remember, fairness isn't an argument here. All criteria are equally applied to everyone. Can there be flaws in the logic? Yes. Does it matter? No.

View attachment 8834
Very interesting. Enjoyed looking beyond Iowa and seeing everyone else. Thanks for the post.

Why not count the play in games since it is now a field of 68? All you would had to do was add 4 more rows. I think the next 4 would have been SMU, North Texas, Wake Forest, and Iowa State.

Here's what would happen, everyone would play a non conference like Iowa where you blow everyone out to improve your offensive and defensive efficiency. It's why teams like Iowa and Houston had such high NET ratings. But I probably wouldn't hate it, everyone plays by the same set of rules.

Here's what would happen, everyone would play a non conference like Iowa where you blow everyone out to improve your offensive and defensive efficiency.
Well, if everyone did it it wouldn’t be an advantage anymore and would come out in the wash.