Forbes vs Barbee

Lionhawk

As this seems to be the popular direction tonight on the board, who knows what direction tomorrow will bring, I have a question.

In looking over both resumes, prior to Barbee going to UTEP, they look very similar Super recruiters, one of the main things Iowa desperately needs. I understand a bit of the uneasiness related to Barbee being involved on Calipari's staff but right now I think if you put both of them behind curtains, ala Let's Make a Deal, and picked wither curtain I think you come out a winner.

Now I understand that Forbes is from Iowa originally and the job is reported to be his "dream job", but I think Barbee will come in with the same amount of energy.

So why are some opposed to Barbee and want Forbes?? Looks to me like either could be a good fit at Iowa. Solid recuiters with ties to the Chicago area, energetic individuals, both seem to connect with players due to the afore mentioned recruiting success. Either can hire an assistant to help with the X's and O's if needed. Both I would be fairly certain understand the need for quality assistants in the recruiting area.

Great post.

I think the advantage of Barbee over Forbes, of course, is being the head man of a program vs. an asst.

The advantage for me of Forbes is the Iowa factor. Having lived in the area, parent worked for the university and potential long term solution(if successful) is a positive.

Overall, I would be satisfied with either as I think they bring energy with recruiting. I hope both have solid x and o's.

I would be ok with Barbee. I think he could certainly turn the Iowa program in the right direction. (Hell he couldn't do any worse than Lick) I just have a gut feeling that Forbes would be a better fit. His recruiting ability and work ethic are excellent according to the Vol faithful, since Iowa appears to be a destination job for him I think he would put 110 % into not only turning this program around...but taking it to the next level. And then staying here to keep it there. The other thing that intrigues me about Forbes is that alot of the posters on Vol boards don't want us to have him. They keep suggesting Jacobson as an alternative.

1) Better chance that Forbes is in it for the long haul
2) Good ties in local Juco
3) Already "gets" what it means to be a Hawkeye and will win over the fan base quickly

Not saying Barbee would be a bad hire- I just know what people are like when they reach the position they have always desired - it's not an effort to be passionate about what you do.

Things that scare me about Barbee:

Indiana guy (Alford, Lick)
Mid Major "up-and-comer" (Alford, Lick)
No reason to want to bleed Black & Gold (Alford, Lick)
Will be a "learn the big-leagues on Iowa's Time/Dime" (Alford, Lick)

He may have some recruiting success, but Forbes has been successful at recruiting for years and at multiple good schools. Too many similarities to our other failures for Barbee. No thanks.

I think Forbes v. Barbee should be decided by a midget-tossing contest between the two of them.

And in that event, I predict Forbes would win by...wait for it...

Tossing another shrimp on the Barbee!

I'll be here all week... :p

I think Forbes v. Barbee should be decided by a midget-tossing contest between the two of them.

And in that event, I predict Forbes would win by...wait for it...

Tossing another shrimp on the Barbee!

I'll be here all week... :p
How about a good old fashioned Iowa Pork Producers pork-chop-on-a-stick eating contest? Similarly, we'll have a clear winner!

Freddy,

Keep them coming. That was hilarious. I am on vacation this week and will need constant chuckles to keep me going.

Again with the whole'' lets hire a guy who does not look like our last guy'' syndrome?

Lick and SA were from Indiana so we need to avoid Barbee cus he was born in Indy? ridiculous.

Lick and SA were from out of state so they did not''get it'' with hawkeye bb? Joke.

Lick and SA were head coaches at mid-majors,so we must not hire Barbee from UTEP? Stupid.

None of that matters,folks. Forbes wanting to get the job done more because he is a native of Iowa is simply a reach. These guys all want to get the job done, but some know how to do it better than others. Barbee has head coaching experience in Div 1. Forbes does not....we are just going to ignore that?

I know that Forbes has a lot of emotional appeal,but hiring him because he will stick around if successful is a long shot....you have to be successful before you worry about that. Getting to that point is the tough part. When was the last time a coach left after becoming successful at Iowa? Lute...over 25 years ago...lets get to that level,then worry about the next phase.

I say Barbee...then if not, maybe forbes.

JHHawk is right, who gives a rats a** about long haul. give me a good 5-7 years where you turn us back into a contender and that's a home run. Let's deal with the long hual later after we are back in the tourney again. One thing about IOWA you make us a winner and we will make you one of the richest coaches in America.

1) Better chance that Forbes is in it for the long haul
2) Good ties in local Juco
3) Already "gets" what it means to be a Hawkeye and will win over the fan base quickly

Not saying Barbee would be a bad hire- I just know what people are like when they reach the position they have always desired - it's not an effort to be passionate about what you do.

This. I agree 100%. I'm hoping Forbes gets his shot at Iowa.

I will add 4) He will run the up tempo system that us Iowa fans love to watch

Latest posts