For all of you Cubs fans...

CHShawk

Lou Pinella is stepping down as Cubs manager after todays game. No link yet sorry. Just saw it on twitter.

He sticks around for another month when there was at least the chance another manager could've gotten more out of this team.

What a ******* insult.

He is retiring to take care of his mother who has been ill for a while now. I guess I have no hard feelings towards Lou. Good luck and thanks.

Dusty Baker's team is only 20.5 games ahead of the Cubs right now. Keep turning over the managers, that's always the problem. The problem isn't that the Cubs are the crappiest franchise in the history of organized sports (even the Lions won an NFL championship in the '50's).

Dusty Baker's team is only 20.5 games ahead of the Cubs right now. Keep turning over the managers, that's always the problem. The problem isn't that the Cubs are the crappiest franchise in the history of organized sports (even the Lions won an NFL championship in the '50's).
The Cubs have a ways to go to catch the Clippers.:D

It's hard to tell what this is even supposed to mean.

The Cubs have a ways to go to catch the Clippers.:D
Not really. The Clippers have to lose about 9000 games to catch up with the Cubbies. The Clippers at least have the excuse of being an expansion club, where as the Cubs had more than half a century to prepare--and still have the worst record in the Nl (only original NL club not to have at least gotten to the World Series at least once--and even expansion teams Mets, Marlins, D-Backs, Astros, Rockies, Padres, Brewers have won pennants--and it took a strike to keep the Expos from having won also....which leaves the Cubs alone of the 16 NL clubs not to have won anything.

All 8 original AL teams have been Worlds Champions since WW2, and so have three expansion clubs. Two others, Tampa Bay & Texas have a good chance to win this very year. The other, Seattle, in 2001 had the most winning team in the majors in the past 25 years. All seven other original NL clubs have won the World Series, as have three expansion teams.

The contrasting Cubbies futility is of such magnitude as seems almost too improbable to be believed.

Under the circumstances, sneering at the Clippers (or Lions) ought to be understood as an embarassing instance of bad manners.

Not really. The Clippers have to lose about 9000 games to catch up with the Cubbies. The Clippers at least have the excuse of being an expansion club, where as the Cubs had more than half a century to prepare--and still have the worst record in the Nl (only original NL club not to have at least gotten to the World Series at least once--and even expansion teams Mets, Marlins, D-Backs, Astros, Rockies, Padres, Brewers have won pennants--and it took a strike to keep the Expos from having won also....which leaves the Cubs alone of the 16 NL clubs not to have won anything.

All 8 original AL teams have been Worlds Champions since WW2, and so have three expansion clubs. Two others, Tampa Bay & Texas have a good chance to win this very year. The other, Seattle, in 2001 had the most winning team in the majors in the past 25 years. All seven other original NL clubs have won the World Series, as have three expansion teams.

The contrasting Cubbies futility is of such magnitude as seems almost too improbable to be believed.

Under the circumstances, sneering at the Clippers (or Lions) ought to be understood as an embarassing instance of bad manners.
Well, then all of the history of the Cubs in the early 20th century should be forgotten. The Cubs actually have a winning record in their franchise (overall 10,216-9,674). They have provided me more memories than all of the other sports I follow (which I do) put together. I mark the times of my life as referenced to the Cubs seasons (and games). I guess I will continue to be a fan until I die.

This was about Lou Pinella and the end of his career. Sure, things didn't work out for the best, but he got the Cubs into the playoffs in back to back years. Quick, name the last Cub manager to do this. I respect that he gave his best effort and needs to go home to take care of his family.

I was kind of joking about the Clippers, but if you have followed any of their history, then you will know that they enjoy the distinction of being the worst franchise (while they have had one) and it's not even close. I won't even list the draft choices that have falied and the owner who is close to (if not easily) the worst in history (yes, worse than Al Davis).

Do the Cubbies make the move and bring Ryan S come up now and get his feet wet?
Why? What good what that do? Let him finish the AAA season and let Mike Quade finish the Cubs season. There's no need to have Sandberg up at this point, in my opinion. I would like Sandberg to be the permanent replacement.

Why? What good what that do? Let him finish the AAA season and let Mike Quade finish the Cubs season. There's no need to have Sandberg up at this point, in my opinion. I would like Sandberg to be the permanent replacement.

I don't think they do either, but it would make sense if they did, seeing as how most of his roster is in Chicago anyway. He knows those players better than anyone else on that staff does.

Another thing that is telling is that they didn't pick Tramell, and that could be interpreted as a sign that the entire coaching staff is on their way out. Personally, I say don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I don't think they do either, but it would make sense if they did, seeing as how most of his roster is in Chicago anyway. He knows those players better than anyone else on that staff does.

Another thing that is telling is that they didn't pick Tramell, and that could be interpreted as a sign that the entire coaching staff is on their way out. Personally, I say don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Agreed. I will give Trammel credit for staying after he was told he was not a candidate for the manager job. It will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the staff, but it doesn't look like they will be back. Quade is supposedly going to get an interview, but I can't imagine him getting the job even if they were somehow able to finish the season strong.

If she's been sick for awhile now - and I don't wish ill upon him or his mother - its just another reason he should've walked away when he announced he was retiring weeks ago.

Pinella has left the team twice this season to try and address the issue. It has gotten worse and he decided to leave for good. He has let players leave the team (most recently Lee while the team was in SF) to address family issues.

I guess I will give him credit for trying to finish the job this year, but it was not to be. I wish there were better results, but ...

2 playoff seasons in 4 years. I am no Lou apologist, but that's not too bad.

Latest posts