Football Start times

CRhawkeye4life

I have a bet with a friend of mine, he says that there is a rule that the Big Ten won't have a night game out doors in November. I thought that too but didn't Jon have a write up saying that was False?

I have a bet with a friend of mine, he says that there is a rule that the Big Ten won't have a night game out doors in November. I thought that too but didn't Jon have a write up saying that was False?
I thought that Penn State at Iowa 2 years ago was a night game in early November. That would be an example if I'm correct. A lot of people were saying Iowa only won that game because the weather was ideal for them to keep the game low scoring and bruise it out.

The Iowa-Penn St game in 2008 was a 2:30 start, so not a night game. A night game is defined as starting at 6pm or later. Although, IMO if it starts at 5pm like we did against ISU in 2002, thats a night game.

The Big Ten kind of contradicted itself on this "rule". After Minnesota moved to an outdoor stadium they said there would not be any more night games in November because unless the game is indoors night games aren't allowed. But then clearly Rittenberg's blog from earlier this year counters that.

The reality is that there will be a November night game before too long. With Nebraska moving to the Big Ten and the fact that if a TV partner really wants it, they will get it. It's the way things are going, it will happen.

I don't see what the issue is other than the cold and BFD, its football. The Big 10 Network should be clamoring for a night game since its 3 hours of better than norm ratings.

I don't think the night thing in November is a hard and fast rule with the big 10. More of a they try not to. IMO ever since the Michigan game last year the cold excuse went out the window. That was a cold day and it was OK.

There will be a November night game in the next two to three years. When the Big Ten adds a championship game, that will be a night game to maximize exposure and ratings. Once that happens, it's silly for November to be the only month left out for night games when you play the championship game at night in December.

The latest game I've seen in November was vs Wisconsin in 2004 ... that game started at 3:30 or 4

Latest posts