Football Revenues

Hawk94

The article that Jon posted seems very interesting to me. Although Iowa ranks well with its football and overall sports revenue, how do a few of the schools have some much more revenue for football. The 2 biggest examples that I see are South Carolina at around $57 million and Texas at $87 million compared to Iowa $38 million. If you leave Texas out of it. South Carolina's stadium has a capacity of 80k and Kinnick about 70K. With the 10,000 more capacity at 7 games and $130 per ticket that is only $9 million difference. Where does the other 10-11 million come from?

Do they assign shared revenue from the conference to that number? Iowa received upward of 22 million in bowl/TV/BTN money this year...is that part of the 38 million?

I doubt that schools can count donations as part of revenues. "Donations" are specifically described so to provide tax breaks, so I doubt schools can turn around and call it revenue.

I think Texas gets to pocket its entire BCS purse revenue as the B12 doesn't share, but I could be wrong about that. $17M can tilt the numbers quite a bit.

I also believe that SC lets students in games for free. Im not 100% sure, but just what i was told. If so that would also bring another huge gap into things.

I was curious myself and I know that South Carolina has a greeeeattt fanbase so I can accept that with no problem, but I just don't know why they have that much more revenue than us. It has to be a difference in boosters or alumni or something to that effect...or at least I would assume so.

The large number of tooth fairy visits have left the state of South Carolina flush with cash, and there are only so many Larry The Cable Guy CDs to buy.

The large number of tooth fairy visits have left the state of South Carolina flush with cash, and there are only so many Larry The Cable Guy CDs to buy.

I think you're confusing S Carolina w Alabama or Mississippi. SC is a little bit more sophisticated that the extreme southern stereotype.
Incidentally, the latest Larry the Cable Guy special...was shot live at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.

The SEC deal with ESPN includes both basketball and football. Could some go directly back into the football revenue bucket?

Latest posts