Penn State (4)
Oregon (4)
Oklahoma State (4)
LSU (5)
Florida State (4)
Florida (2)
Oregon State (1)
Stanford (4)

Trust me, I agree with the point I think you're trying to make. However, when it comes to an 18 year old kid they don't take that into account as much as what we would like. We've had similar stories in the Ferentz era and other than the occasional OL it hasn't made much of a difference in our recruits.. Impressive stat though none the less with the names on that list!

That's freakin crazy. Is Iowa a nexample of being only as strong as its weakest link? I can't figure out the disconnect. A couple disappointing seasons that clearly was not from a lack of talented players. So outside of these 6 players and others who will get FA opportunities, was everyone else terrible? That doesn't seem to be possible.

It been said that KF does about everything else right.But his gameday coaching is lacking. Hopefully the staff shakeup will see better results on the field.I have a hard time believing that Mich St and Wiscy have better talent than we do.

04-29-2012 07:32 AMSirhouseman
"That's freakin crazy. Is Iowa a nexample of being only as strong as its weakest link? I can't figure out the disconnect. A couple disappointing seasons that clearly was not from a lack of talented players. So outside of these 6 players and others who will get FA opportunities, was everyone else terrible? That doesn't seem to be possible."

You are right, the other players were not terrible, or even close to terrible. The coaching staff have been masters of player development (but that's basically it).

Iowa, which had six players drafted, had more players drafted than:

USC (3)
Texas (3)
Ohio State (4)
Notre Dame (4)
Nebraska (4)
Michigan (3)
Texas A&M (4)
TCU (2)
Penn State (4)
Oregon (4)
Oklahoma State (4)
LSU (5)
Florida State (4)
Florida (2)
Oregon State (1)
Stanford (4)

I would think those stats would make for real good ammunition on the recruiting front wouldn't you?

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

It been said that KF does about everything else right.But his gameday coaching is lacking. Hopefully the staff shakeup will see better results on the field.I have a hard time believing that Mich St and Wiscy have better talent than we do.

And truer words were never spoken.

Head Coach...GM.... "head assistant"...call him what you will. The guy can develop players as good as anyone out there.

But get him OUT of the play calling and game management on the sidelines. Many high school coaches could manage a game better.

And truer words were never spoken.

Head Coach...GM.... "head assistant"...call him what you will. The guy can develop players as good as anyone out there.

But get him OUT of the play calling and game management on the sidelines. Many high school coaches could manage a game better.

Good point. I think KF is great leader, very good in all aspects leading up to the game, and GOOD on game day except maybe looking a few plays or a series or two ahead in the 2nd and 4th quarters. It is almost like he needs a baseball-type bench coach. A coach to just be thinking about the moves possibly coming up in a game; you know watch out for the fake punt, when to take time outs, watch for onside kicks, etc.

I am really proud of the 6 athletes drafted and "developed" by Ferentz. This is great for them. But as a fan of the Iowa Hawkeye "COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM", I would like to see players already playing at this level on the Kinnick stadium field, not Green Bay or Philly. Call me selfish, but I want better, successful, DEVELOPED athletes playing now for the Hawks, not being prepared for NFL teams enjoyment

Why didn't we win more the past two seasons with all this talent. Two words: Ken O'Keefe. I think our new OC will make that evident. Even with a suspect defense due to injury last year, we should have been better offensively.

Where does this put Iowa over the last four years for number of players drafted?

Its got to be top 5 if not higher.

The last four years have to rank as biggest waste of talent ever for the program.

I really hope the days of playing not to lose are over and we can watch a team that is doing everything it can to win every week.

Iowa, which had six players drafted, had more players drafted than:

USC (3)
Texas (3)
Ohio State (4)
Notre Dame (4)
Nebraska (4)
Michigan (3)
Texas A&M (4)
TCU (2)
Penn State (4)
Oregon (4)
Oklahoma State (4)
LSU (5)
Florida State (4)
Florida (2)
Oregon State (1)
Stanford (4)

How do those teams on the field records stack up?

Of the teams who had as many, or more, players drafted, their records were:

Alabama (8) - 12-1
Georgia (7) - 10-4
Oklahoma (7) - 10-3
S.Carolina (6) - 11-2
California (6) - 7-6
Miami (6) - 6-6
Mich. St (6) - 11-3
Wisconsin (6) - 11-3
Boise St. (6) - 12-1

Does NFL-level talent equate to wins? In more cases than not, it does, but it is not a guarantee.

As Jon posted the other day, only one other program in the country can say they have had 6 players drafted the past three years...Alabama. That's pretty exclusive company.

That's freakin crazy. Is Iowa a nexample of being only as strong as its weakest link? I can't figure out the disconnect. A couple disappointing seasons that clearly was not from a lack of talented players. So outside of these 6 players and others who will get FA opportunities, was everyone else terrible? That doesn't seem to be possible.

I think Sirhouseman posits a valid question and is on to something with his "weakest link" idea. It's not that everyone else is "terrible," that would be an extreme exageration. We all know that because of our geography we don't pull in the number of big time recruits other big time programs do. While other programs literally load up on "4 star" and "5 star" recruits, we're lucky to collect one or two each year. As a result, those programs are loaded with quality depth and talent at every position, while many of Iowa's other starters and 2nd stringers are still in a developmental phase.

To see these NFL draft stats and realize the amazing development and coaching that is going on throughout a Hawkeye football player's college career, and then blame our lack of elite success over the last several years on our coaching, is in my opinion extremely ignorant.

Last edited:

Latest posts