Finally, the QB truth is revealed (in the KF-ish, way)

STILLBUSTER

Why not want to play another QB down 31-0 for experience if nothing else

you could make argument could give next player experience, but at that time I felt like keeping our offense out there and letting play was best

What does Jake Rudock do

I think potential to be a good quarterback. He looks like he did in August. Good thrower, works hard, a lot like JVB. All the characteristic that give a guy a chance to be good player. Smart, competitiv, throws well, will be good player

Has he pushed James at all, competitively..any real competition

I think there has been comp at at lot of spots, but we are tyring to make habit of getting our best guys on field that give us the best chance to win

is Rudock ready to play

We wont know that until he starts playing

Sorry, couldn't wait until the "finished" signal.

Here's what these comments mean ...
Rudock is not nearly as far behind JVB as what some would like us to believe.

Corporal Kurt is simply dodging a QB controversy: He will refuse to play Rudock, regardless of talent or situation, because he simply cannot risk any chance that he might outperform JVB. It is far easier to continue the charade with JVB and face the speculative heat than face an even greater inferno of "why not sooner?"

Everyone says he is a guy who focuses on this day, this game, this season. Most say it with a positive perspective that he's a steady hand. The truth is, as I've been saying since Saturday, he's flushing this season. He's simply not interested to alter course this year and will finish up and start anew, without controversy, next year.

KF is aging before our eyes.

Pretty sad, sad state of affairs when your a BIG TEN TEAM that doesn't have a capable backup. That is unacceptable... Wow!!

you could make argument could give next player experience, but at that time I felt like keeping our offense out there and letting play was best

What does Jake Rudock do

I think potential to be a good quarterback. He looks like he did in August. Good thrower, works hard, a lot like JVB. All the characteristic that give a guy a chance to be good player. Smart, competitiv, throws well, will be good player

I think there has been comp at at lot of spots, but we are tyring to make habit of getting our best guys on field that give us the best chance to win

is Rudock ready to play

Corporal Kurt is simply dodging a QB controversy: He will refuse to play Rudock, regardless of talent or situation, because he simply cannot risk any chance that he might outperform JVB. It is far easier to continue the charade with JVB and face the speculative heat than face an even greater inferno of "why not sooner?"

Everyone says he is a guy who focuses on this day, this game, this season. Most say it with a positive perspective that he's a steady hand. The truth is, as I've been saying since Saturday, he's flushing this season. He's simply not interested to alter course this year and will finish up and start anew, without controversy, next year.

Columbo is a Hawk fan.

I don't care if Mary Lou Retton is our back up QB, you put them in when it is 38-7 midway through the 4th.

Marv Cook was on Cotlar today, and you could tell he was absolutely dumbfounded by Sat night and holding back big time.

Lol Corporal Kurt. That's our problem, an NCO is calling all shots.......

He's been steadily demoted from Captain since his last great coaching job - the 2004 season. That was the last time he faced and overcame a significant challenge where coaching decisions both had a positive impact and didn't screw up opportunities.

How could you possibly deduce that from his comments? Unreal.

1) JR is a "good thrower, works hard, a lot like JVB"
-- Factual evidence thru 7 games, JVB is not a good thrower. In fact, it's been one of the most highly criticized aspects of his game (too much velocity, inconsistent accuracy, missed downfield reads, poor footwork).
-- Universal observation and conclusion: JVB is performing horribly.
-- Rudock is "a lot like JVB". Deductions:
1) Rudock is horribler -- beyond comprehension based on the bar JVB has set to define being "the best player".
This seems to be the deduction by those who claim the separation between JVB and Rudock is significant. However, if clinging to this deduction, you are essentially calling KF a liar that [Rudock] "will be a good player", let alone be capable of performing at the level of JVB.
Being the objective optimist that I am, I prefer to actually believe The Corporal. While I may not be a fan of Kirk Ferentz, the coach, I am a fan of Kirk Ferentz, the man and have always respected his integrity and honesty. Therefore, I believe when he says Rudock is a "good thrower" with "all the characteristics ... smart, competitive, throws well, will be a good player" "a lot like JVB". Thus, my stated deduction, Rudock is not nearly as far behind JVB as many (apparently, you included) want us to believe.

Above deduction leads to deduction regarding avoiding the controversy. Since there is little chance that Rudock is significantly more horrible than JVB has demonstrated, there is absolutely zero reason to not put him in the game. In fact, just the opposite, for 2 reasons:
1) IF JVB is significantly superior in skill and is the only real option for success, reason would dictate you would protect that player, for the sake of the team's success, from unnecessary harm -- such as the types of hits JVB was taking throughout the 4th quarter -- especially with first-hand experience in the case of Adam Robinson.
2) IF Rudock is significantly more horrible, he should be given every opportunity to improve his level of horribleness to at least JVB's level of horribleness, as long as it is not to the detriment of the stated goal to "give us the best chance to win". The particular situation in question posed zero detriment to this end, therefore, Rudock should have been played without concern for him surpassing JVB's level of performance (because he is so much more horrible, not to mention, dispensable.)

Final Conclusion: IF Rudock is abysmally worse than JVB, the above reasoning concludes he should have played. The fact that he didn't suggests he is not that much worse than JVB and it is reasonable to speculate that he might have outperformed JVB.

I propose KF is painfully aware of this and, therefore, is intentionally not interested in finding out. His circular logic reply that "We won't know [if he is ready to play] until he starts playing." confirms this, since he had ample opportunity to allow him to play but refused.

Any other questions, Watson?

What does Jake Rudock do

is Rudock ready to play

nominated for herby/2starstan memorial detective post of the year.

Latest posts