Final push - 2017 FB Remaining Names to focus on

nickhawk

Iowa's 2017 Football recruiting class currently has 15 commitments and is ranked somewhere in the 15-20 range Nationally.

There is a good possibility that the Hawks could sign as many as 7 more recruits to the 2017 class to finish with 22 commitments. Here are the names that appear to be drawing the most attention:

4 Star Guys:

1. Oliver Martin - WR - has blown up on the National Radar and is now widely considered to be a top 100 recruit and among the top 10 WR recruits in the nation - would be a huge win to keep him in State. Michigan and MSU appear to be the main competition.

2. Damion Daniels - DT - Hawks are in his final 12, but no confirmed visit date yet. Good friends with Chevin Calloway so that might help lure him to Iowa City, but has some huge offers including LSU, Michigan and USC

3. Russ Yeast - CB - well documented that he just picked up an Alabama offer, but he is visiting this weekend for the Recruiting Barbeque and landing a second commitment from a Cornerback who held an offer from Alabama would be downright unheard of in Hawkeye nation.

4. Andrew Van Ginkel - DE - ranked as the 2nd best DE JUCO prospect and the # 11 Overall JUCO prospect in the Nation. Main competition is coming from Wisconsin and Nebraska. Imagining a D-Line in a couple of years with AJ Epenesa, Damion Daniels, Cedric Lattimore and this guy - would be sick.

3 Star Guys:

1. M. Hippenhammer - WR - visited last weekend and the 24-7 recruiting site has him predicted to sign with the Hawks. Main competition is from Michigan State and Penn State

2. S. Greenwood - WR - considered a top 100 WR in this class - if Hawks land Martin and Hippenhammer it appears Greenwood is the odd man out, but I don't see any problem with signing 5 WR's in one class.

3. Kobe Boyce - Texas commit but good friends with a lot of the 5 current Texas commits in this class and there still might be a chance he ends up flipping to the Hawks. Another fun possible future look ahead to a secondary in a couple of years that could include Calloway, Yeast, Colbert and Boyce.

4. Scotty Nelson - S - Has Hawks high on his list and is considered to be a top 50 Safety in this class.

Rob - would love to hear your opinion on the odds of Iowa landing these remaining guys:

Here are the odds that I would put on each player as of right now committing to the Hawks:
O. Martin: 60%
D. Daniels: 50%
R. Yeast: 50%
A. Van Ginkel: 60%
M. Hippenhammer: 75%
S. Greenwood: 25%
K. Boyce: 20%
S. Nelson: 50%

Swarm

Nice overview, Nick. I agree with your percentages for the most part. I'd probably go a little higher on Martin and a little lower on Hippenhammer. There was a good feedback after Mac's last visit but I still think Michigan State may have the edge with him. It's close though. I wish he would respond to my messages. :)

Nice overview, Nick. I agree with your percentages for the most part. I'd probably go a little higher on Martin and a little lower on Hippenhammer. There was a good feedback after Mac's last visit but I still think Michigan State may have the edge with him. It's close though. I wish he would respond to my messages. :)

Rob - I apologize if you've done this already, but would you mind going through nick's list and mentioning the commitment timeline for each one? I know it's not an exact science, but what have they each said in terms of when they're going to make a decision? I remember Martin saying he'd like to make a decision before the football season. I'm not sure about the rest.

O. Martin: Has said before the season but he's still playing baseball so we'll see if he can get in the visits he wants in time for that to happen.

D. Daniels: Hasn't said and he still has more than 10 schools at which he's looking.

R. Yeast: Told me he doesn't think his decision will come before the season but should come before the end of it.

A. Van Ginkel: Impossible to reach so I'm not sure. Haven't heard of him visiting any schools yet, though.

M. Hippenhammer: Right now, it looks like he'll decide before the season.

S. Greenwood: I'm not sure the bridge between Greenwood and Iowa has been repaired enough to call us a serious player for him. That could change.

K. Boyce: He plans to talk all of his five officials during the season.

S. Nelson: Last I spoke with him, he wasn't sure when he'd decide.

I also would also keep FL CBs Joshua Turner and Zamari Maxwell, MO DL Chester Graves, GA ATH Connor Heyward, and TX WR Cam Buckley in the picture to varying degrees.

Here are the odds that I would put on each player as of right now committing to the Hawks:
O. Martin: 60%
D. Daniels: 50%
R. Yeast: 50%
A. Van Ginkel: 60%
M. Hippenhammer: 75%
S. Greenwood: 25%
S. Nelson: 50%

I'm thinking 100% on Martin and Van Ginkel (but I've been saying that for awhile)
D. Daniels: 60%
R. Yeast: 25%
M. Hippenhammer: 45%
S. Greenwood: 5%
S. Nelson: 40%

O. Martin: Has said before the season but he's still playing baseball so we'll see if he can get in the visits he wants in time for that to happen.

D. Daniels: Hasn't said and he still has more than 10 schools at which he's looking.

R. Yeast: Told me he doesn't think his decision will come before the season but should come before the end of it.

A. Van Ginkel: Impossible to reach so I'm not sure. Haven't heard of him visiting any schools yet, though.

M. Hippenhammer: Right now, it looks like he'll decide before the season.

S. Greenwood: I'm not sure the bridge between Greenwood and Iowa has been repaired enough to call us a serious player for him. That could change.

K. Boyce: He plans to talk all of his five officials during the season.

S. Nelson: Last I spoke with him, he wasn't sure when he'd decide.

I also would also keep FL CBs Joshua Turner and Zamari Maxwell, MO DL Chester Graves, GA ATH Connor Heyward, and TX WR Cam Buckley in the picture to varying degrees.

Thanks Rob

Not to split hairs but I'd go no more than 40% on all listed at 50% or above in the OP. Understand we have more leverage this recruiting season but think our odds typically go down as the undecided prospects continue to lengthen their timetable for a decision ...........especially when some of the elite programs (with their gunslingers) are involved. The glass half full, on the other hand, would say with fewer scholarships left we can focus our time & effort on the few we are looking to land.

A quote from one Hippenhammer article this week indicated his like for Iowa and PSU at this point anyway......no mention of MSU ........stay tuned for tomorrow's wind direction.

Might be reading too much into it but Eno tweeted a couple worrisome things earlier today...

Damn kids and their cryptic messages. It's probably nothing, but who knows. Would be really strange to lose a kid that's been the Hawks best recruiter since he committed.

Last edited:
Might be reading too much into it but Eno tweeted a couple worrisome things earlier today...

Damn kids and their cryptic messages. It's probably nothing, but who knows. Would be really strange to lose a kid that's been the Hawks best recruiter since he committed.

Nothing to do with Iowa and football.

He's just trying to decide how to split his time between Hawkeye football and basketball recruiting!

Latest posts