Film Study

rodneyhawk

Stanford's first play of the game was the play UNI burned Iowa with all day long two years ago. I'm surprised they didn't keep running it, guess everything else they tried also worked. Glad one team changed a few things they saw on film instead of running the same stupid crap, play after play after play. I knew we were going to get embarrassed... but, it still sucked.... Greg Davis ruined Vandenberg and Rudock. Jake looked awesome yesterday. Athletes are the bottom line.

Hawkeye Gamefilm tweeted out about a month ago that that play Iowa needed to plan for..first freaking play..

Rudock had a better passer rating than J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones, Connor Cook and the guy who took his job at Iowa, C.J. Beathard. Unreal.

from Nick Baumgardner..On Twitter

Rudock had a better passer rating than J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones, Connor Cook and the guy who took his job at Iowa, C.J. Beathard. Unreal.

He also had the best QB coach and offensive play-calling. No coincidence.

And MUCH better targets to throw the ball to. Not 1 Iowa skill player would start at Michigan. Darboh and Chesson are light years better than Smith and Vandeberg. CJ would be scary good at Michigan

^^ this times 1000. Harbaugh made Alex Smith go from avg to great and he unleashed Colin Kapernick. He developed college QBs.

Fortunately CJB is totally above avg and I dont think even KF and GD can wreck him.

Make no mistake about it. CJ hid a lot of warts that still exist with the offense. Ruddock would have floundered in this office again this year. And CJ would have been a stud at Michigan.

It was obvious watching Ruddock - he was coached up. He played much faster this year and a much quicker release.

Coaching actually matters.

Hawkeye Gamefilm tweeted out about a month ago that that play Iowa needed to plan for..first freaking play..

We all knew what they were going to run. Pretty sure it was Fisher that completely failed to pick up #5 out of the backfield.

How they weren't locked onto #5 to start the game?

We all knew what they were going to run. Pretty sure it was Fisher that completely failed to pick up #5 out of the backfield.

Fisher saw it, but slipped. I think he makes the tackle if he keeps his feet....maybe.

That was the type of game play I was waiting to show up right in the middle of the season. I didn't enjoy the season because I was so nervous that the other shoe was gonna drop. Lucky for us coach went back to version 1.0 right when then entire country was watching. It proves nothing has changed, we are not even close to being able to compete with Stanford little alone the likes of Michigan or Ohio State.

Stanford's first play of the game was the play UNI burned Iowa with all day long two years ago. I'm surprised they didn't keep running it, guess everything else they tried also worked. Glad one team changed a few things they saw on film instead of running the same stupid crap, play after play after play. I knew we were going to get embarrassed... but, it still sucked.... Greg Davis ruined Vandenberg and Rudock. Jake looked awesome yesterday. Athletes are the bottom line.

I agree with your thoughts on the UNI play and who did not anticipate that coming with McCaffery? How we did not have our DE chip him whenever he came out of the backfield was a mistake. It's not like we ever sack a QB anyway but we could at least throw off the timing of the route.

I am no Davis lover but please stop with the throwing him under the bus. We did ZERO in any phase of the game especially in the most crucial aspect and that was blocking and tackling. Davis can't catch passes, make extra points, tackle McCaffrey when he was right in front of us, block a single player with two of our guys, not punt repeatedly to their best player, not fall down all game, etc.

Jake had a great game yesterday but this was a bad FLA team. One taken to OT by a 2 win FCS team recently. He had all day to throw and some receivers were wide open in the end zone with no defender around. I wish CJ had this luxury of a great OLine, wide open receivers and better overall talent.

I think that in a 40 yard dash, if you gave Fisher a 10 yard start, McCaffery would beat Fisher... and pretty much everyone else on our team... well, most teams.

I agree that the difference with Rudock this year is that he had legitimate weapons that can create separation..

Good for him. He wouldn't have done that had he stayed here.

That was the type of game play I was waiting to show up right in the middle of the season. I didn't enjoy the season because I was so nervous that the other shoe was gonna drop. Lucky for us coach went back to version 1.0 right when then entire country was watching. It proves nothing has changed, we are not even close to being able to compete with Stanford little alone the likes of Michigan or Ohio State.
Right there with you. After the 9th and 10th wins got real nervous and knew it probably wouldn't end well.

Film study is essential to our student athlete's success. Our guys will spend the next two months cutting the tape.

Totally disagree that Iowa wouldn't have competed well--and likely beaten--Michigan this year (in Iowa City, at least) The Wolves were improved, but hardly invincible. Ohio State would probably have been another matter, but then again, maybe not had the teams met earlier in the season (Indiana took em to the wire, for Pete's sake) We'll never know. It's easy right now to pile on to Iowa's miserable performance in the Rose Bowl but what we saw during the regular season was no mirage. The Hawkeyes were SOLID on both sides of the ball most of the time against foes that were admittedly average to good (three opponents won their bowl games, after all). Injuries, certain individual match-ups, coaching styles, and one very special talent conspired to make Iowa look silly against one of the nation's top teams in the Rose Bowl. Very disappointing finish but a season to build on. The Hawks will be back and, IMHO, improved next year!

Latest posts