Ferentz on S Colin Sleeper

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
"Q. Collin, I think he had some injury issues, and now…
COACH FERENTZ: Sleeper. He’s got the right name. Sleeper is the right name. He’s kind of been lurking in the background. It’s a little bit like the Nielsen, A.J. Edds stories, other positions, where we’ve had two starters at the safety positions that have been there for a long time. He’s been laboring in anonymity. But he’s done a good job.
Just flashback to the Michigan game. He imitated one of their players. It was a prominent part of our game plan, did a good job all week. I guess I’d equate that to Joe Forgy a little bit. We’ve seen Joe do some good things that have caught our eye this year, once he has a chance to compete for a job."

Sleeper had to be one of the bigger "surprise" names coming out of the presser. I listen for even the slightest hints of "buzz" and the closest I've ever heard (or seen) relating to Sleeper was all the photo-shots of him working with upper-teamers during the prior spring camp.

Am I to read that Sleeper played "D-Rob" during scUM week and take that to mean he's got some nice athletic ability?

I would bet that sleeper is listed as starter at ss by default. Donatel was hit with Rhabdo which is why he is not listed there.. Same with Bernstine. Incoming freshman not listed on spring depth chart. also have not moved people around yet to fill spots. I doubt he is #1 on depth chart come fall..

It has been said already and will be said many times again the Sleeper is a sleeper for the Hawks. Not much mention of him on this board but a poster on HR premium has been saying good things about him since January. He could continue the trend of successful walkon safeties - Considine, Pagel, Greenwood,......

Doing a little research tells me that as a senior at Solon he was on a state-qualifying 4x1 track team with, among other people, James Morris. He also qualified for the 100 meters individually, but didn't make the finals (11.63 was his clocking at state).

Sleeper had to be one of the bigger "surprise" names coming out of the presser. I listen for even the slightest hints of "buzz" and the closest I've ever heard (or seen) relating to Sleeper was all the photo-shots of him working with upper-teamers during the prior spring camp.

Sleeper has been mentioned quite a bit as a player who could surprise this year. It has been said he posted the fasted shuttle time (I believe? Maybe 3 cone?) since Considine.

The Summer before Collins freshman year at Iowa we worked out with the same trainer, and man he got after it

Sounds a lot like that one kid who blew out his hammy a few years ago against ISU, moved on with his life, was traveling Europe came back to football and got hurt again. For the life of me can't remember his name. Smart dude, probably making 6 figures somewhere now.

Sounds a lot like that one kid who blew out his hammy a few years ago against ISU, moved on with his life, was traveling Europe came back to football and got hurt again. For the life of me can't remember his name. Smart dude, probably making 6 figures somewhere now.

Devan Moylan - He tore his hammy at Illinois in '06 (I saw the damn play happen). Brett Greenwood took over his position.

"Please god let this be a hint of some kind of wildcat formation or something this fall."

^
This

^
This above the ^this

I have actually learned to scan thru KF's pressers looking for names to be repeated.
I have also learned to look for when KF makes a comparison to former players.

Joe Forgy mentioned multiple times
Collin Sleeper compared to former players.

Tells me KF thinks a lot of both guys and therefore I expect both to play quite a bit.

Latest posts