Ferentz on Iowa football ...

homerHAWKeye777

HawkeyeReport.com - Ferentz updates Iowa football

Here's a snippet ....

------------------------------
Q: Have you made any decisions with Hyde and where he will play this fall?

FERENTZ: No, not at all. We probably won't know that until midway through camp. That is another point with the team we have now, it's a little bit like 08. I think we will have some stories that emerge and different changes in the depth chart. We will go through August and see what it looks like. I think it's reasonable that in the month of September we will have some changes too. Again I go back to 2008 and when you look at it, going into that season, Stanzi and Angerer were both 2nd team and were for quite some time. They got their opportunities and emerged. We could have some good stories there.
-------------------------------

What I like about the snippet is the "guessing game" that it might provoke. Who might he be referring to ... who might emerge and nab a starting spot as late as in the month of SEPTEMBER?

Here are some particular "competitions" that very well might point out where we might see such shifts on the starting line-up.

- Lowery vs Castillo: Castillo is seasoned and consistent ... but Lowery very well might have the highest ceiling of all our current CBs.

- Who will start at safety out of Hyde, Miller, Sleeper, or Bernstine? My guess is that the top two are probably Hyde and Miller. However, Sleeper and Bernstine very well could still enter the picture.

- Kirksey vs Hitchens vs DiBona: DiBona has the most 'quality' game experience. However, I've heard the most positive buzz about Kirksey. Who wins the job?

- Daniel vs Alvis: Daniel is a veteran who has put in the work and time. However, it sounds like Alvis is a guy who might be hard to keep off the field.

- Bigach vs Alvis vs Davis: Each guy here has generated buzz. Lots of folks love the size of Davis ... however, Alvis is also one of Norm's "sweethearts." I wouldn't sleep on a healthy Bigach ... the guy has generated legit prior buzz AND he has a pretty nice combo of quicks, size, and motor.

- Scherff vs MacMillan: Each guy has generated SUBSTANTIAL buzz. MacMillan has had health issues, however he also has flashed brilliance and demonstrated consistency on the playing field. Scherff, simply speaking, is a freak ... tremendous combo of athleticism, quickness, and size.

I immediately thought about the wide recievers. There is some good talent that is sort of off the radar that could emerge this year.

Now this is the stuff that gets me jacked for football season. I think you are going to see some "diamonds" emerge this year, I think Homer is on the right track.

The reading skills some of you have must be horrible. How in the heck do you get all that out of what KF said? He should have just said... the starting line-up in not set and may not be until September. Of course he doesn't know what the starting line-up is going to be. No college football team knows what their starting line-up is going to be in June!
Guys... the starting line-up will change during the season.

The worst is the latrans and others who came away with "Iowa is going to start a freshman QB". Please explain that?

Ferentz could say... "The red ball bounced across the green grass" and some of you would ask "Why was the blue box sitting in the corner of the garage?" Amazing!

When you put it like this it makes one wonder if he isn't talking about an incoming freshman ............ a QB perhaps?

In my estimation that is too much of a stretch. Ferentz never hypes up TR FR before they hit campus. He's invariably talking about guys who are already on campus and who he already knows for a fact has the chops to push for serious playing time.

Besides, Rudock has already explicitly requested to redshirt during the 2011 season. My guess is that the kid is very serious about starting off as a pre-med major on the right foot. I can definitely understand and appreciate that sentiment.

Come on guys you are thinking way too far outside the box here. Ferentz is just saying there is bound to be a couple players who haven't played a whole lot make names for themselves and earn a right to start. How in the world a couple of you think he's saying JR could come in and start over JVB is beyond me. Did you read the whole article? He said Vandy was ready to start last year but Stanzi was still there. The only way a QB besides Vandy gets on the field for the Hawks this year is if it's a blowout or he gets injured. Lets hope it's the former.

I think he's talking more about the WR's, DL, and D-backs. It should also be fun to see who becomes the #2 and #3 RB's.

LOL I didn't realize my joke was that subtle. I apologize, that was intended to be satire.

LOL I didn't realize my joke was that subtle. I apologize, that was intended to be satire.

LOL! The problem is two-fold. There are gullible, dense folks like myself who'd take you at face value. And, perhaps more sad ... there are actually some fans out there who are dumb enough to believe that Rudock could start for Iowa right out of the gate.

I immediately thought about the wide recievers. There is some good talent that is sort of off the radar that could emerge this year.

In some sets ... yeah, I could see an intriguing battle arise for the #3 WR spot. However, I really believe that McNutt and Davis will have the #1 and #2 WR spots pretty nailed down.

In some sets ... yeah, I could see an intriguing battle arise for the #3 WR spot. However, I really believe that McNutt and Davis will have the #1 and #2 WR spots pretty nailed down.

The competition for #3 WR should be pretty interesting. Hearing tons of positives about KMM and I wouldn't count out Jordan Cotton at this point either. I think it will be more interesting to see how we use the TE this year. I know we regularly use 2 TE sets but if Fiedorowicz is still lacking a bit in the blocking game, we might see him line up in the slot from time to time. That said, I thought his blocking looked much better in the spring game so I don't anticipate anticipate seeing him in the slot too often. He's a nightmare matchup any way you slice it.

If C.J. progresses enough, I could see that being one of the late September or mid-season starter changes. Probably the K/P positions as well. I'm not feeling particularly comfortable with either of our kicker positions at this point. Mossbrucker and Meyer looked pretty even and Johnny was a popular choice at punter but he had some serious shanks at the spring game. I guess that U-Tube video was only his best kicks. Strange that a kid would only show highlights........

Dolly Parton was a beautiful young woman.

Kirk Ferentz is a good coach.

Ohio State is corrupt to the core.

People on this message board tend to over-analyze everything.

Some things in life are really obvious

Or maybe he was saying since the comp for play time is heating up, we might be better off depth wise than some haters think. It's called reloading, when there is very little if any drop off when #2 has to play or gets his shot to play. I take it as a good sign. But nothing more than a good sign.

Latest posts