Ferentz deserves to get ripped

Herkyalert

Banned
Not only for a garbage gameplan and terrible preparation, but also for sticking with one of the worst QB's in the Big Ten.

The swan song is over. Vandenberg is outright terrible and Ferentz has issues if the backups can't even see the field.

I'm disgusted with this staff on many levels.

And no one will rip him. He blacklists reporters that do that.
Hopefully every reporter in the state will get blacklisted then.

This was a downright garbage effort on so many levels today. I don't care about youth because Iowa has a freaking SR quarterback who is one of the worst in the Ferentz era, and a OC who was run out of Texas because of awful gameplans.

Sorry but Ferentz and his salary deserves to be questioned. Fans won't put up with the BS. Iowa crapped the bed tonight for the 2nd time at home this season.

Absolutely correct. Vandenburg is doing what he can, he just isn't good. If the backup is worse, then the coaching staff has failed big time.

I watched several of Rudock's games in high school and thought he was a really good prospect. Apparently so did Ferentz since he gave him a scholarship. Now the kid sucks so badly that you can't put him in at the end a blowout? I've seen Iowa quarterbacks regress towards the end of their career before, but if the coaching staff ruined him after 1 1/2 years that's a record.

Absolutely correct. Vandenburg is doing what he can, he just isn't good. If the backup is worse, then the coaching staff has failed big time.

I watched several of Rudock's games in high school and thought he was a really good prospect. Apparently so did Ferentz since he gave him a scholarship. Now the kid sucks so badly that you can't put him in at the end a blowout?
His stud receivers made him look good. I am not going to get excited about having another pre-med student at qb.

I feel like Ferentz is past his prime as a coach. For whatever reason, he hasn't adapted at all to college football in the late 2000's/early 2010's.

It seems like, ever since spread type offenses and a heavy emphasis on speed, took over college football, Iowa hasn't been that great (aside from 2009)

It seems like, ever since spread type offenses and a heavy emphasis on speed, took over college football, Iowa hasn't been that great (aside from 2009)

2009 wasn't any different; we just had an unreal defense covering up our numerous imperfections. Our QB that year threw about 24 TD passes and 25% of them were to the other team.

2009 wasn't any different; we just had an unreal defense covering up our numerous imperfections. Our QB that year threw about 24 TD passes and 25% of them were to the other team.

I agree but since we won, It's hard to say we weren't that great that year.

I agree but since we won, It's hard to say we weren't that great that year.

I guess if you look at the entire body of work compared to the way we won that year, I suppose that's correct. But there's a reason we were so good in the computers that year and so bad in the human polls...we weren't winning convincingly, we were almost losing nearly every game, and we generally just didn't have the "style". The ridiculous-ness of how the bounces always seemed to go our way that year was just that...ridiculous. But we won...

::shrug::

our d isnt bad, but it seems as though people who have worked with ferentz know him very well.

Poker Reference:
Its like they played poker together as a staff- (or all the staffs he has been apart of) - and all his peers knew him as a fish. if you cannot spot the sucker in the first 15 minutes, then you are the sucker.

too scared to bluff ya know? THAT guy

I feel like Ferentz is past his prime as a coach. For whatever reason, he hasn't adapted at all to college football in the late 2000's/early 2010's.

Iowa's defense has USUALLY done relatively well against these spread O's. It's KF's anemic O's that keep him from sustaining anything special.

First, I think this is a good post because it's not emotion-driven like so many other nutjob posts. And when I first read it, I thought it was a good critique.

But....

Iowa's problem hasn't been on the defensive side of the ball. Even in the average seasons, Iowa's defense has been consistently in the top 3-4 scoring defenses in the Big Ten. It's true that Iowa's defensive scheme has difficulty with spread offenses -- mostly with those that have good QBs (ie. patient and accurate -- which isn't an everyday combination in a college football QB [see Iowa 2012 for an example]).

Where I think you're right is about speed - and I think it's that Iowa doesn't have a stable of skill position players and more specifically at the WR position. The RB position has had bodies that have been able to fill-in and it's usually the bigger backs that have had success as next-man-in at that position. Iowa doesn't have speed at the receiver position to put stress on the defense. Duh. Nothing original here.

All we have to do is look at the list of Hawks in the NFL.

Skill position players?
They can be counted on one hand while it would take an entire huddle of hands to list the TE, OL, LB, and DB.

So I think you're 1/2 right. It's not that Ferentz hasn't kept up with the times with being able to combat spread offenses, it's not that Ferentz hasn't kept up with the times in changing to a spread-type offense scheme, it's that he hasn't produced NFL quality skill position players on even an inconsistent basis.

And that I really don't understand.

A pro-style offense works if there is the right personnel.

Either Iowa must not have the right personnel to execute it effectively or the coaches are not effectively teaching to execute it effectively or are not gameplanning to the best personnel that can execute any plan effectively.

In the end, it always comes down to the coaches:

recruiting the players (student-athlete) they want/need for their scheme,

if the players they wanted/have demonstrate they are unable to effectively execute the coach's scheme then can a coach or is a coach willing to change the scheme to one the players can execute effectively.

Latest posts