Feeling pretty down on Hawkeye Football

dobhawk43

First, our highly talented team gives up on the season. Second, our top reciever gets busted for drugs. And third, the top recruit in the state disses us and goes to Oregon. It's probably time for some people in the football program to take a long look in the mirror. A pretty steep free fall after last season.

I'm not too concerned about French. Great athlete, but not a football player. He was AT LEAST 2 years from contributing for us, probably 3.

Well, that describes 18 out of 20 guys in every incoming class.

Guys with as much hype as he gets shouldn't be riding pine until their senior year. He shies from contact, and he doesn't have very good hands, nor great football IQ. That's not exactly a recipe for success. His athleticism is tremendous. But he's just an athlete, not a football player.

First, our highly talented team gives up on the season. Second, our top reciever gets busted for drugs. And third, the top recruit in the state disses us and goes to Oregon. It's probably time for some people in the football program to take a long look in the mirror. A pretty steep free fall after last season.

The first two reasons are legit for feeling down, and questioning the team.

Getting depressed over a 3 (or 4) star recruit leaving the state is being too hard on yourself. For one how do we know what kind of player French will end up? Will he even finish college? What about the injury factor? Etc.

There are other recruits Iowa can go after to replace French. The Hawks may be better off for it.

What I don't understand is the lack of senior leadership on this team (losing will to win, getting arrested, stupid mental mistakes at critical times during games).

This is just one season. French is just one recruit. DJK is just one player.

It's easy to look at all the negatives and get down. We have a good program. We have a great coach who isn't going anywhere who runs a clean program (see Auburn)

There are way too many moving parts for things to go smoothly all the time. We will recover, and it starts with Mizzou.

IMO... I don't believe French is the best recruit coming out of the state this year. I think Blythe is the top player, just didn't get the ratings due to commiting to Iowa early. Of course some will call me a homer, but after watching him since he was a Soph dominate Mt. Pleasant and others the last few years, I think him and Henry Krieger-Coble are hidden gems. Henry's has great hands (didn't drop very many passes in 3 years, plus watch his BB stats this year...) and the kind of speed to play at LB or TE if he wants.

Last year Michigan St. lost a lot of close games, had to kick one of their best running backs off the team due to legal issues, and had 10 of its players involved in an on campus brawl. This year they managed to go 10-1 despite all that and the fact that their coach had a heart attack. This was partially due to an easy schedule, but partially because they won a lot of close games. Now people are saying they are the best program in Michigan right now.

Every year is a new chance.

Iowa really needs to win the Bowl game, for momentum going through the summer, calm the fans down, and just give an overall sense that things are still ok.

We have alot to look forward to. Support this team and they will come out and get it done.

Nothing to be bummed about. We lost this season because the seniors gave up midway through. Won't be a problem next year cuz they'll be gone. Same with DJK. Won't be an issue next year. Same with Christian French. Won't be an issue next year, or in 2012, or probably in 2013. I was never convinced he'd crack the 2 deeps on our team.

This is just one season. It happens. Look at the recruits we got this year and last year and be hopeful for the future.

It's a new morning (albeit a cold one), billions of Chinese have no idea who Darrell Johnson-Koulianos or Christian French are and probably think an Insight Bowl is something you put the noodle soup in. Life goes on, basketball season is here.

Enjoy the day.

It's a new morning (albeit a cold one), billions of Chinese have no idea who Darrell Johnson-Koulianos or Christian French are and probably think an Insight Bowl is something you put the noodle soup in. Life goes on, basketball season is here.

Enjoy the day.

Yes and we might be happy with a 14-16 bball record this year!
Probably wont help fill Carver though!

Even the worst day of Hawkeye football is better than the best day of Cyclone football. Go down to Casey's and get yourself a Cyclone t-shirt and coffee mug you whiner!!!

That's interesting ... you know what makes me feel down?

YOU DO! YOU JACK-WAGON!

Sorry, I love that commercial.
+1
You left out the "chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self-confidence for you....."

Need a tissue? (throws box) Crybaby!

Even the worst day of Hawkeye football is better than the best day of Cyclone football. Go down to Casey's and get yourself a Cyclone t-shirt and coffee mug you whiner!!!

This is better than beating Texas or Nebraska?
Hmmmmm. I'll have to call you out on that one.

Are you a closet Cyclone?? Do you have a sister that has never worn make-up? Do you have velcro tennis shoes? Does your gymnasium smell like cow manure? Do you buy gift certificates for Kum-and Go? Did you take your date to prom on a tractor? Was it your sister? Hawkeyes RULE!!!!!!!

I'm the first to admit that this season was a big slap in the face. But sometimes it takes a slap in the face to refocus. What's important is that the coaching staff learns from the mistakes this year, and comes back strong. I still have faith in KF.

Latest posts