Fasten your seat belts lads and lassies!

I

Ian Pike Hammer

We got 11 games left (technically, if all are played), most of them against the top tier programs. (Someone check me if I'm wrong)
: Illinois, Ohio State twice, MSU twice, Michigan, Wisconsin twice, 2 tough teams in Penn St. and Rutgers.
What kind of record do we need to compile to win outright or a share of the B1G title? 9-2? 8-3? 7-4?
Your thoughts?

We got 11 games left (technically, if all are played), most of them against the top tier programs. (Someone check me if I'm wrong)
: Illinois, Ohio State twice, MSU twice, Michigan, Wisconsin twice, 2 tough teams in Penn St. and Rutgers.
What kind of record do we need to compile to win outright or a share of the B1G title? 9-2? 8-3? 7-4?
Your thoughts?
We will have to go 8-3 (assuming Nebraska game is not played). That would be 14-5.
That ridiculous loss against Minny up there is gonna haunt us

I’m guessing we can lose 3 more. We should win the 6 home games. I don’t see Indiana sweeping us. That leaves road games with IL, MSU, OSU, MI and WI. We have to win 2 of those.

IL concerns me the most. I’m not as concerned with MI since they will be playing so many games...same with MSU. I think we’re better than OSU and WI. Of course we’re better than IN and they got one...as did MN. So we’ll drop a couple.

Last edited:
Your thoughts?
At Indiana.

Let's see ... Already 2 games back. It's late January. Iowa's bad history at this point of the season flashed with that horrible home loss to Indiana. They're gonna lose a 2nd in a row, tonight. February is a gauntlet schedule. I'd say moot point, not worth the effort to calculate.

Doesn’t matter this year. Asterisk season and they will continue to be until restrictions are all lifted.

What matters is getting into the tournament if they have it (check), getting a good seed (done mostly by NET ranking), and making as deep a run as possible.

This season is about our recruiting future, folks. We need recruits to see Garzilla and a deep tourney run. This is the best chance we’ve had to bump ourselves up a couple notches below Michigan and MSU in terms of national perception.

But the cold, harsh winds of Franuary doth blow with vengeance evermore. We’ll see if it happens this year; I sure hope not, friends.

I expect the winner of the B1G to have 5 or 6 losses and I expect Iowa to be in the mix at the end, so I see at least 3 or 4 more loses. Throw a dart at which ones they are. I think it's very highly likely they lose tonight. There isn't a team that's just gonna run away with the B1G this season, it's too good for that.

I expect the winner of the B1G to have 5 or 6 losses and I expect Iowa to be in the mix at the end, so I see at least 3 or 4 more loses. Throw a dart at which ones they are. I think it's very highly likely they lose tonight. There isn't a team that's just gonna run away with the B1G this season, it's too good for that.

I agree. Is it possible that the B1G regular season champ does not secure a #1 seed in the tourney? It would be a shame if this happened, since the B1G is far and away the toughest conference this year, but 6-7 losses (including out of conference) does not look like a #1 seed to the naked eye.

I agree. Is it possible that the B1G regular season champ does not secure a #1 seed in the tourney? It would be a shame if this happened, since the B1G is far and away the toughest conference this year, but 6-7 losses (including out of conference) does not look like a #1 seed to the naked eye.
Gonzaga
Baylor
Villanova
Texas/Alabama/Virginia

It's definitely possible.

When Iowa is on they will be very tough to beat. They play like final four team. But, when they are off, they are off. Just don't see us consistent enough to win the Big Ten. Hopefully they reach at least the Sweet 16. I'm sure Illinois will ball it up tonight on us.

When Iowa is on they will be very tough to beat. They play like final four team. But, when they are off, they are off. Just don't see us consistent enough to win the Big Ten. Hopefully they reach at least the Sweet 16. I'm sure Illinois will ball it up tonight on us.

Yes on all points, but I will be disappointed if they do not reach the Elite 8. Illinois will ball it up tonight, but I am optimistic that the Indiana game will bode well for the Hawks. I just don't see Iowa having two games in a row like that. The effort and determination should be there tonight, and the poor shooting percentages should be corrected as well. If I am right, Iowa wins.

I would love to get a 1 seed. But I’m not obsessed with it. We will be the better team with the best player on the court through the Sweet 16.

At that point we’re all playing in Indianapolis so being 1, 2 or 3 doesn’t matter much IMO...same opponents all playing CST. The Villanova out east with all the fans and advantages and Gonzaga out west with the same isn’t a thing this year.

Yes on all points, but I will be disappointed if they do not reach the Elite 8. Illinois will ball it up tonight, but I am optimistic that the Indiana game will bode well for the Hawks. I just don't see Iowa having two games in a row like that. The effort and determination should be there tonight, and the poor shooting percentages should be corrected as well. If I am right, Iowa wins.
I agree it would disappointing if they don't at least make the Elite 8 considering how high ranked they have been to start the year (and now). But, as I had said several times before, the first time Fran reaches the Sweet 16 will be the first time he has ever reached the Sweet 16 anywhere.

And then there is Franuary to always trip up our seeding.

I think what really hurts us when we are not on our game (even if Garza gets his which he usually does) and our shots are not dropping.....the defense is not really good regardless, in game coaching is a weakness (out of bounds plays sometimes are really good though out of Fran), and still....overall lack of athleticism (in particular guard play). In the NCAAs guard play usually carries the day.

Really worried we will get Globetrottered tonight if we are not scorching the nets.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter this year. Asterisk season and they will continue to be until restrictions are all lifted.

What matters is getting into the tournament if they have it (check), getting a good seed (done mostly by NET ranking), and making as deep a run as possible.

This season is about our recruiting future, folks. We need recruits to see Garzilla and a deep tourney run. This is the best chance we’ve had to bump ourselves up a couple notches below Michigan and MSU in terms of national perception.

But the cold, harsh winds of Franuary doth blow with vengeance evermore. We’ll see if it happens this year; I sure hope not, friends.
Match LUKA'S desire.A win no? Go Hawks.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Well, we did not get run off the court....at least as a total team. Iowa just does not quite have the guard play to be a championship team. They are poorly coached defensively, but are also limited because they lack athleticism in the backcourt. Garza can only do so much. Poor team defensive IQs.

Yes, the officiating was horrible in key moments, but championships teams find ways to get above that.

Fran needs more Fast Twitch players that can finish at the rim.

Latest posts