Fast forward: Where will Stanzi rank all time for an Iowa qb?

iahawk20

A huge Hawkeye season and Stanzi will be #1 all-time in by book. He might not have Chuck Long stats, the appeal of Brad Banks, but he could be the ONLY Iowa QB in the hitsory of the program to have 3 Bowl wins as well as two top 10 finishes.

IF Iowa goes to a BCS bowl or wins a big 10 title, Ricky will be #1 in my book. Nothing beats wins at the end of the day and despite Ricky struggling at times we found out last season what leadership and his huddle presence is...he is a born leader and I would take that any day of the week.

2010 kickoff cannot get here soon enough!

A huge Hawkeye season and Stanzi will be #1 all-time in by book. He might not have Chuck Long stats, the appeal of Brad Banks, but he could be the ONLY Iowa QB in the hitsory of the program to have 3 Bowl wins as well as two top 10 finishes.

IF Iowa goes to a BCS bowl or wins a big 10 title, Ricky will be #1 in my book. Nothing beats wins at the end of the day and despite Ricky struggling at times we found out last season what leadership and his huddle presence is...he is a born leader and I would take that any day of the week.

2010 kickoff cannot get here soon enough!

He reminds me a little of Jim McMahon of the Superbowl Bears. Not the prettiest, most athletic or gifted, although I think he definately has good skills, but McMahon was a leader and it was his leadership, along with a hell of a defense, that took the Bears to the top that year.

All that being said I will take the political position and call it a tie b/t Chuck and Ricky.

back to back BCS bowl wins would have to cement him at the top. long was a numbers machine, but if rick can do it again (with obvious help) you have to look at that more so than simply numbers.

This will be a fun topic to engage in after the year too...after seeing just how high these Hawks are going to fly...if Iowa gets back to another BCS game this year, and most certainly if they win it, it would be hard to argue against Stanzi's mark as the most successful Iowa QB ever.

However, its going to be hard to knock Long off of that perch...Long performed at such a high level for three years (I know he played four)...Stanzi's not in the pure passer category that Hartlieb was, either. Had Tate played during the years where Stanzi was a starter, with those defenses Stanzi has had, I think his record would be pretty amazing too. I think Vandenberg's overall skill set is better than Rick's

But Rick has that ability to flush bad plays, and he is a respect leader and that matters so much...he has some intangibles you either have or you don't.

He reminds me a little of Jim McMahon of the Superbowl years. Not the prettiest, most athletic or gifted, although I think he definately has good skills, but McMahon was a leader and it was his leadership, along with a hell of a defense, that took the Bears to the top that year.

All that being said I will take the political position and call it a tie b/t Chuck and Ricky.

Long, Hartlieb, Duncan and Kinnick (maybe not a QB in modern parlance but essentially yes) are a tough 4 to beat. Who's #5 might be more of a legitimate question.

You can't attribute the number of wins entirely to a quarteback, especially considering Stanzi's tendency to throw bad INTs. He is an outstanding leader, throws some beautiful passes and delivers in clutch situations.

Banks was great, but a one-year wonder who had the benefit of one of the greatest O-lines in Iowa history. Drew Tate deserves strong consideration because no Iowa QB has carried an entire team on his back like Tate did in the season of 2004.

But if the Hawks win 10-11 games and another BCS bowl Ricky would have to be considered for that fifth slot.

No way can you rate hartlieb ahead of Stanzi. No way.

Kinnick was a halfback, not a Quarterback. Yes, he passed the ball, but not that often in that era.

I have to rate Stanzi ahead of Kinnick as a pure quarterback.

That leaves Duncan and Long.

Here is a way to rate them:

Duncan: One big ten title; one BCS bowl win.
Long: One big ten title; no BCS bowl wins; two bowl wins in total.
Stanzi: No big ten titles (so far); one BCS bowl win; two bowl wins in total.

If Iowa wins a big ten title this year or a BCS bowl game, I think you rate Stanzi number one all-time.

There is no way Stanzi replaces Long for #1 unless he has an almost error free season and puts up ridiculous numbers IMHO.

Our offense was not stellar to be sure last year. It was primarily our defense that won our games. Stanzi's pick 6's and other stats just does not bring him near Chuck Long.

If you are truly talking about best Iowa QB of all time Stanzi's stats just don't measure up.

Now if he could put up awesome #'s, win B10 conference and get us to BCS or NCG, that could sway my opinion, but his stats would have to back that up.

Stats aside...if Rick can lead us to another 10 to 12 win season, and a BCS bowl win..I'd have to put him in the Long-Duncan club. Wins trump stats.

My top five, 2-5 in no particular order....Long gets #1:

Long = 35-13-1 as (almost) four year starter (82-85)
71% winn perct
1st in all time passing yards
3x 1st team all-league, 85 League MVP, 85 League Player of the Year
2-2 in bowls
Maxwell, O'Brien winner, 2nd in Heisman in 85, 7th in 84
1st team All-American

Stanzi = 18-4 as starter (08,09)
82% winn perct
2-0 in bowls
Ranks sixth after two seasons in all-time career yards

Hartleib = 15-7-3 as two year starter (87,88)
60% winn perct
3rd all time yards passing
Holds 3/4 top passing yards in a game, 7 TD's in a game ranks #1
2x 1st team all-league
1-1 in bowls
Beat out McGwire, won @ tOSU

Rogers = 23-11-1 as three year starter (89-91)
70% winn perct
4th in all time yards passing
2x 1st team all-league
0-1-1 in bowl games
Last starting QB to win at tOSU

Tate = 23-14 as three year starter (04-06)
62% winn perct
2nd all time in passing yards
1x 1st team all-league
1-2 in bowl games
Holder of best pass ever as QB

Last edited:
82% of his games he wins cant beat that but , there is not anything he hasnt seen in football yet that he cant handle, he is toughest QB mental I have seen his ability to flush pays is huge most QB'S fold when they throw one pick I like stanzi alot he is going to be beast next year.

82% of his games he wins cant beat that but , there is not anything he hasnt seen in football yet that he cant handle, he is toughest QB mental I have seen his ability to flush pays is huge most QB'S fold when they throw one pick I like stanzi alot he is going to be beast next year.

+1.

maybe change the thread to most bad a$$ American Iowa QB and Stanzi would win against any QB in history! No but really I think Stanzi's the best but that's because I can't remember the Long days or i could think differently.

Hartlieb was a better passer than Stanzi. IMO, Hartlieb is the best pure passer of my life time of watching Iowa football.

I would have loved to have seen Long have DJK, McNutt & crew (I do respect Happel and Helverson and what they were able to do..but they would probably have been third and fourth options at best last season)

Hartlieb was a better passer than Stanzi. IMO, Hartlieb is the best pure passer of my life time of watching Iowa football.

I would have loved to have seen Long have DJK, McNutt & crew (I do respect Happel and Helverson and what they were able to do..but they would probably have been third and fourth options at best last season)

I agree Hartlieb was a great passer, but a purer passer than Chuck Long?? Long was known for his pin-point accuracy and had a cannon for a arm. You'd have a hard time finding a more natural arm on a QB than that of Long's.

I used to be a stat person. Now I'm all about the dubs. If I can have both that's all the better. If Stanzi can really cut down on the mistakes then I think his stats improve and the wins will be there.

What would it take to overtake Chuck Long as the top Iowa QB?
1. Be in the discussion for and receive some AA honors.
2. Heisman talk late in the year.
3. Lots O' wins

-or-

Take us to and/or win the NC game. Like I said, I'm about the dubs.

Using Bowl wins as any type of standard in a debate like this is a joke. Of course a QB of today will likely have more bowl wins. How many more bowls are open to an Iowa QB now than 30 years ago? 50 years ago?

Stanzi has a chance to do something special this year. Enjoy the ride.

Using Bowl wins as any type of standard in a debate like this is a joke. Of course a QB of today will likely have more bowl wins. How many more bowls are open to an Iowa QB now than 30 years ago? 50 years ago?
--

That's part of my point as well. If it's wins does that mean that Donahue is the greatest punter of all time? Sash the greatest safety, etc etc?

It takes a team to win and though Stanzi is a great QB who's made some clutch plays, you can't give him all the credit for the W's. He'll rank among Iowa's best QBs but the last two years were all about "team" victories, not just a star QB.

Stanzi has a chance to do something special this year. Enjoy the ride.

It would be idiotic to compare ANY stat to 50 years ago. The game has changed just a little.

However, it is very valid since 1980, Iowa played in bowl games nearly that entire decade, so it is certainly a good reference. The fact remains no Iowa qb has won 3 bowl games in his career...that includes Chuck Long who played in 5 and started 4 of them.

--

That's part of my point as well. If it's wins does that mean that Donahue is the greatest punter of all time? Sash the greatest safety, etc etc?

It takes a team to win and though Stanzi is a great QB who's made some clutch plays, you can't give him all the credit for the W's. He'll rank among Iowa's best QBs but the last two years were all about "team" victories, not just a star QB.

Really? Where have you been the past 50 years? Quarterbacks are ALWAYS measured by wins. That's why Marino will never be considered the greatest quarterback to play the game, because he never won the big one. When was the last time we heard someone say Deion Sanders was the best cornerback of all time because he won Super Bowls with the Cowboys? Now how many times has it been said because he was simply the best to ever play the position?

So Stanzi may well go down as the winningest QB in school history, and that will be enough to put him in the discussion as one of the best. And while they were "team" victories, that's not the point. When a team wins, QB's take the credit, when they lose, they take all the blame. They rarely warrant all the credit or blame, but they get it.

Latest posts